HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    cuesta alrededor de 700 euros pero por supuesto puedes vender tu motor 250
    ErÑete, Phmode and JungleDeath like this.
  2. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 300 swap is something I'd like to do down the road as well. Once my warranty runs out of course.

I ordered a front and rear Ohlins suspension upgrade from Motostuff as they had a great Black Friday deal. Can't wait to put that in this winter. Any tips or suggestions for a smooth install from folks that have already done this type of upgrade would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
  3. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    When you come to do the rear, getting the nut and bolt out of the top is not too difficult but getting it back in can be a little, er trying!

Remove the bolt holding the rear brake master cylinder to the frame and ease it out of the way. No need to drain it.

This gives good access to the head of the bolt.

It is 'just' possuble to get a long, thin open-ended spanner up the left side of the shock and onto the nut. By looking around the battery compartment, you can see the head of the spanner and get it onto the nut.

Going back in you need to ease the shock up into position and fiddle the bolt through with a socket and extension.

From the left, make sure that the end of the bolt is just proud of the face of the mounting and ease the washer over the end from the battery compartment side, leaving the end of the bolt flush with the face of the washer.

Now, put the nut into the open end of the spanner and wrap a loop of tape over the end to hold it in place while you ease it back upinto position. The next bit is easier with a helper to push the bolt through once you have the nut lined up. I managed it on my own but it is challenging, expecially if you are a klutz which I'm sure you are not.

Good luck, Brian
    ben416 likes this.
  4. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the Ohlins rear shock I used a crowfoot wrench with some painters tape to hold the nut and a 6” extension held sort of in place with a zip tie around the frame. It worked really well. I got a chance to try it again because like an idiot I forgot to slide the reservoir through above the swingarm first....
    garyracetools and ben416 like this.
  5. Iceman68

Iceman68 Tank Slapper

Oddometer:
    0-60? :lol: :lol3

I'm positive it's "stronger." Stronger in what way though? Like I mentioned and minky backed up, I like the fact that it adds fuel rather than running it lean without it.
    I have no idea how much a PCV costs, but not sure I'd spend any more on the fuel system or motor quite frankly. If I wanted a much bigger jump, I'd go for a 500EXC.

Granted I still did the mods I did, mainly to be more enjoyable.
    I did put a 13T front on and while that probably made a huge difference, I still think 1st gear is too tall in a lot of my riding areas. I am however unwilling to sacrifice any top end speed at this point.
  6. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    450 forks: I am very interested on how this worked out. Do you have a write up anywhere on the web where you went into more detail on how this install all went down? I kinda lust after 250x/450X forks but have (poorly) assumed the geometry would be way off; twitchy. Now you got me thinking again...

https://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/Cr...08-09-12-13-14-15-16-p/crf250x-front-fork.htm
    or
    https://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/Cr...rade-Showa-p/cr250-showa-front-suspension.htm
    droooool.
  7. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    just seen this ill come back to you soon with some details
    JungleDeath likes this.
  8. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input!

Now I just gotta wait for the local dealer to finish with the minor oil leak around the bolt where the front of the motor mounts the frame and I can get started. It was still under warranty so I figured it could be their problem. ;)
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    So, will a 140 fit, or not? :-)
  10. Merci639

Merci639 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hello/ i need front fork oil level for Honda crf250rally 2017-18.
    who can help look in the manual?
    i need level in mm.
    i know level in cm3
  11. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    the rake is just .02 degrees different ..two 2ml spacers on the rear of the 450 mudguard mounts make it clear well

you will need to re weld the steering stops i went to the corners with high compression rubber ....i didnt want to go near the haed stock in case the weld pulled the race seats ..the cable tie is just for the epoxy to set

if i remember right i retained the 450 bottom cap and dremmeled the 250l cap out to 30mm ...the 4.5ml spacer lets the cap sit where it should its 30mm inner ..44ml outer x 4.5mm deep

[​IMG]IMG_20191120_145737 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

the ignition switch carries a inline diode and will need retaining or a new one inline it were easy for me as mounted on the lxnx ..the ignition will not work without the diode

the bearing are sourced here

https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

250x conversion bearing the same
    https://www.allballsracing.com/99-3540-5.html

follow the input sheet for theoutput options ...it seems the 250x is the same set up as the 450 but you need to check the thread heights are the same for locknut and stem nut ..if they are the following crappy diagram will work

[​IMG]IMG_20191120_145737 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20191205_205114 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

were in the lakes last week and tested em out they ride very well ..used trails and a roads and some motorways ......the 330l has rally linkages on the rear and a rally shock ..its actually more stable now than before bike is now sporting 320ml clearance over the 255 o/e figure and i still managed to twat it :jack..i cant see any problems puttin em on the rally go for it id say

[​IMG]9dad5544-2b19-43a5-a7b9-5e5de644b1a7 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
    GlosBoy45, mikeysduck, Phmode and 2 others like this.
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunlop has absolutely no tire dimensions on line. They suggested emailing them. "140" converts to 5.5+"....that's a pretty wide tire for the Rally. I'd bet it'll hit the chain guard
  13. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @minkyhead Thank you thank you! I have abs also. Going to have to figure a work around. I also wonder if the Rally triple trees could be machined? I need to get the Autotune purchased then think about the front end. This is good news and why I love forums.
  14. zuker13

zuker13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeah, if in a hurry, southwest airline.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Thanks! I found a 120 at Revzilla, so I'm set. Definitely very little clearance with the chain guard.
  16. zuker13

zuker13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any plans to ride the Texas hill country, lemme know, I live bout 45 minutes from there.
  17. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    . I know the crfs disc will fit on the 450 hub I'll have a look at the abs ring if it traps the same as the rear relocating the pick up maybe all that's needed. Away braaping for the weekend. I'll have alook
    JungleDeath likes this.
  18. Safarinjema

Safarinjema Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the way to Mangart Mountain/Slovenia
    DSC02940aab.JPG
    NickCombe, GlosBoy45, 78er and 19 others like this.
  19. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Right side = 126mm
    Left side = 47mm

HOWEVER, The manual also says in the sidebar 'Be sure the oil level is the same in the both forks.' (sic)

Note. These measurements are taken before the spring collar, springs and damper gunbins are installed.

11D8EF81-E710-4E68-AFA4-A96C00810E6A.jpeg

970842C1-ED2F-4E50-9837-09EE314D94B6.jpeg

Hope this helps. Brian
  20. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer: