HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Safarinjema

Safarinjema Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ canis. It`s in Slovenia, Julian Alps, may be two kilometers before reaching the mountain Mangart (2677m). Beautiful scenery and light and just a few people because it was close to sunset. Camped a little more than half an hour away in Bovec, a small town with a young outdoor scene and delicious strudel.
    TDC_ERock, 78er and thms like this.
  2. canis

canis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the info.
    Beautiful place.
  3. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    PANO_20191208_092819.vr-01.jpeg IMG_20191208_092750-01.jpeg IMG_20191208_085636-01.jpeg

Lots of bushfires around this way so took the Rally out for a run to try and get above the smoke. Wasn't easy, but view tells the story. Bike resembling more of a desert sled than a rally bike these days with the cut plastics and the tool box removal. Bonus is not only can I now see the Ohlins cannister but can adjust it on the fly.
    ErÑete, GlosBoy45, Iceman68 and 6 others like this.
  4. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the results. Who knew there was a diode in the ignition...until minkyhead mentioned it earlier this week and now you suffer the death of such a tiny component.

And here it is in the circuit diagram, top centre...

045F9FCF-EA31-471A-819A-FF300D796339.jpeg

So, was it merely a new diode that we can easily replace, or was it a whole new ignition switch?
  6. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently purchased the Kriega OS22 and already owned the SRC brand rear rack.. (US site) (Thailand MFG site) > Plenty of mounting plates for all brands but the CRF and as the mounting straps on the Kreiga OS22 (and OS32) did not align with the SRC rack had to get creative.. quickly as i have big trip staring in a few weeks.. > Epic Ride thread here <

Luckily here in Thailand we have a rapid prototype company called Makerspace and in a week, they were able to design and deliver a co-created and co-designed "X-Plate".... The X-Plate is made from same material as the SRC rack, same thickness and powder coated, weighs in at 942g and all things considered, the cost wasn't to bad as i needed design work, prototypes made along with the X-Plate being a one off and done in a week.. IMO the X-Plate final product was perfect but critique away... and BTW - the OS22's are amazing bags, and well worth the money!

IMG_2651 2.JPG IMG_4749.jpg IMG_4684.PNG IMG_4927.jpg IMG_6205.JPG IMG_6365.JPG IMG_6909.JPG IMG_7816.JPG IMG_8871.JPG
  7. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the Pirelli Scorpion tires (21" for sure) are DOT legal.....is the 120-18 DOT? Scorpions are popular here in Michigan sand.
  8. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    TRXRALLY: Beautiful design and execution. I'd guess the labor rates there are about 1/10 of USA.
    TRX Rally likes this.
  9. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They said they just replaced the diode. How easy that is to replace, no idea.
  10. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Ed@Ford... Yes, labor is really cheap in Thailand and there is pride in the work, as long as you find the right team. Design was $57usd and $210 for both plates.. material, cut, powder coating, delivery, etc.. so a little expensive but as it was a one off, i'm good with it.
    IJustWantMyZBack likes this.
  11. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @City Gone Bad
    R(e)ally great looking bike and landscape!
    I like the look with the removed plastic around the engine.

Some questions:
    1) What front fender are you using on it? Acerbis?
    2) Which tyres are these?
    3) As you ride an Ohlins rear shock, is the front also upgraded?

@minkyhead
    Thanky you for the write up about the CRF forks and also for the Andreani Cardridge link.
    As you ride/rode a CCM450 also could you please post some lines about it compared to the Rally? Is the engine of the CCM equally reliable to the Rally and how are the vibrations compared to each other?
  12. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Beautiful build. Who makes that front fender? Did removing the trunk give you a noticeable weight reduction?
  13. City Gone Bad

City Gone Bad Old Balls

Oddometer:
    @c21 thanks man, sure is fun to ride.

Acerbis Motard fender, works well in anything but sloppy mud. Also works better in a crosswind, but then again she is less of a sail now plastics also trimmed.

Tyres are perelli xc scorp mid hard front, Trackmaster 270 rear. Second set, might switch rear to tractionator enduro next but Kenda tyres are cheaper. Haven't done front forks yet but was thinking of doing race tech front spring eventually... From all reports probably just as good as Ohlins upgrade, if not better.

I made a video on weekend discussing all these things you mentioned. Haven't checked to see if audio worked yet but will share when complete.

Thanks @LordMorgan I haven't weighed anything I have taken off the bike except myself. Lost 12 kilos since I bought the Rally, certainty helps!
    78er likes this.
  14. zuker13

zuker13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bought a new 2018 rally leftover last week, I have been reading about a 600 mile valve check . Have read the owners manual (cover to cover) several times with the recommended maintenance schedule. there is no mention of a 600 mile valve check.
    does the EJK really work, (conflicting reports) or is a sprocket change the way to go?
    OPINIONS PLEASE!
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    600 mile valve check was for the first 250's in 2013, then it went to 1200 miles about '14 or '15.....now it's way off in the thousands. I have an EJK on my 2013. It works but cost fuel economy. Starting in 2017 the calibration changed and in my opinion my 2017 rally ran as well or better than my 2013 CRF-L with EJK. I now have the difficult to buy "Japanese ECU" that is a significant Rally improvement. Opinions vary. Going to 13/40 supposedly makes it feel stronger, makes it buzzy over 65mph, and decreases chain life. A sprocket is $25 or less...try it, depending on your riding style.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great and thanks for the links!
    TRX Rally likes this.
  17. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be really nice.....looking forward to see it on YT.

Are you satisfied with the Acerbis frame protectors?
    Which bashplate is it?

Thank you!
  18. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="c21

@minkyhead
    Thanky you for the write up about the CRF forks and also for the Andreani Cardridge link.
    As you ride/rode a CCM450 also could you please post some lines about it compared to the Rally? Is the engine of the CCM equally reliable to the Rally and how are the vibrations compared to each other?[/QUOTE]

well i still run mine regular ..the husky engine srs dont fair so well some guys have got 30/40.000 up on em some have not ... the main fault is the long tall gearing its viby lower down a and sweet nad howls higherup the suspension is ace ....no way will it hold up like a crf in that regard but srvice em frequently and gear em right for the task and they are a a nice machine ..
    stators are not uncommon to give problems and some had a bad batch of starter motors ...front cowl subframes will fail too
    . i treat mine like a ktm and just use it for days and weekends ..that said ive racked up 1100 hours on em and the inly theing ive had let go is the touque limiter ...175 quid fitted meself ..some have had bad feuling problems some are perfect ..the full braaap power commanded ones tend to behave very well ...but any ccm a test ride is a must ...they are a bit random ive got freinds with em and fotr the most part they are happy but one rouge ccm would not stop stalling and were sold on ..there fickle like ktms and need mothering but a nice bike ..ill keep mine till it expires ...
    a long trip crf all day ..just dont want the hassle of rapid tyre wear and high stung engine ...they are a stonger engine than some think but i feel mines wasted somwhat with prolonged roadwork ...weekend warrior its ace....powered up they are proper quick ..but the crfs are much easier to live with on a wet road with enduro type tyres..best source of fp to date infor is ccm uncut on facebook
    [​IMG]IMG_20180913_104957 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
    GlosBoy45 likes this.
  19. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    good weekend in peaks dont think dave put so much as a foot dab on his rally ....neil made a bit of a cock up in about the easiest place all day ..irony is hes a ace rider ...very good trilas rider .... oh well ....hes only dropped it twice all year ...apparantly its my fauld for havin camera on .....weird dont be fooled hes ace bloke and a top rider too

ErÑete, GlosBoy45, boboneleg and 4 others like this.
  20. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Another fabulous video from Speedbusting Productions. Just love it
    minkyhead likes this.