HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The extra 0.8 gal/3ish liters of fuel itself is gonna add more than enough weight to offset any significant difference. Still not a bad investment if you're using enough of the bike's range to make a difference (at least at the kind of mileage I've been getting, that's about 45-60 extra miles depending on road condition)
  2. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Hamamelis
    Thank you that´s what i wanted to know :D
  3. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    The tank is only titanium on the 450L, not the 250L
    JungleDeath likes this.
  4. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That, and they are not plug n play interchangeable. R frames and L frames are quite different.
    Hamamelis likes this.
  5. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, only 100% improvement to response and feel IMO > How link here
  6. kgnx

kgnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I've searched a lot but could not see anywhere to buy Japanese ECU for 2017 Rally.
    And is there anyone who use it for a long time, and can you post a detailed pic of the ECU?
  7. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You ll have to find someone that has a used one for sale,they are no longer availed to buy,I sold mine to a guy on here,maybe when someone sells there bike they will sell it if they have one,as I did,very good improvement over stock one,if you have a ejk and full exhauste system you won’t notice much improvement. But with a pretty much stock bike good improvement. Just my 2 cents,I ended up putting ejk,open air box,fmf full system regearing . I switched back and forth with stock ecu and Japan one ,I could tell a difference so I installed stock one and sold japan ecu
    simplemind and kgnx like this.
  8. kgnx

kgnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply mate,
    Improving the low end torque is the thing that I want to go for. You know rally's torque curve is like a turbo diesel car, when rpm hits 7k the engine output increases abruptly, I want an engine which is alive at even 4k.
    A friend of mine has s 13' crf 250L, it's torque curve much better, more linear and better distributed.
    There is one cbr 250R ecu for sale in local web site, but I want to be sure that it's compatible for 17' Rally, before I buy and try it. I have to learn exact part code to avoid engine damage ☺️
  9. chopper13

Oddometer:
    I don’t think it is ,they have different plug on ecu I believe,I describe it this way,rally with uni air filter snorkel remove 2 1” holes in air box door covered with frog skin,14/42 gearing,ejk fmf q4 with power bomb header ,with 1 1/8” power core quit insert,bike pulls a lot better than with stock bike and Japan ecu,roll Ins from 40 mph in 6th gear were good ,topped out about 77 mph on gos,cruised at 60-65 mph great head wind and small hills have no effect on it.you can barely feel the transaction that you now feel around 6000 rpm Just smooth all the way threw,just set your idle when warm up at 1400-1500 ,the I had ejk transition in cruize set to come in at 1200rpm,little or no decelerations popping and runs great,I do run 89 obtane and up when ever possible
  10. kgnx

kgnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, as far as I understand that stock cbr250R ecu is not compatible.
    Ejk+fmf Q4+ all other stuff cost incredibly high up here the place I live.
    This is the reason I want to try japanese ecu indeed.
    It would be great if stock cbr 250R ecu was compatible with rally.
    I would combine this with a 13/42t gearing, then it would rock.
    So, does 13' crf L ecu works on 2017 rally?
  11. chopper13

Oddometer:
    I don’t think so,different injectors,doesn’t have a tach pin,air box is different, I don’t think it will work,I guess you can try one and see,somebody’s gotta try it first. Good luck,I hope you get it figured out ,Hopefully others on this site with more insight on the older models will respond. ,again good luck
  12. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I posted pics of my cbr250r ECU earlier in this thread. Search this thread for my username.
  13. kgnx

kgnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, there are really encouring comments about ecu upgrade.

Thanks a lot,
    There are lots of things about japanese ecu but I could not find a spesific information, I'm gonna search your posts, btw.
    There are some posts about cbr300, which one is more convenient for 2017 rally you think?
    And more importantly, what do you think about stock bike with ecu upgrade ?
  14. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I had my seat off the other day and noticed this red plug just hanging out, is it supposed to be plugged into something? 1220191406.jpg
  15. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    diagnostic connection point nowt to worry about
    LordMorgan likes this.
  16. kgnx

kgnx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't find Japanese ECU 38770-K33-J02 but I can find 38770-K33-D22 locally.
    Is there anyone who can comment about this? I mean differences, compatibility, etc ?

I saw a similar question but I could not see an answer unfortunately.
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    KGNX: With searching at www.cheapcycleparts.com it is possible to determine 2013 - 2016 CRF250L ECU's are different from 2017 to 2019 Rally. 2017 to 2019 CRF-L & Rally have the same ECU, 38770-KZZ-J11. CB300 and CBR300 ECU's are different from each other and 250's. This website has a cross reference capability, and 38770-K33-D22 is not used on any US Honda motorcycle. I studied some time back the ECU pinouts of the Rally and the 2013 CRF-L because I wanted to use the Japanese ECU on my CRF-L. Pinouts are significantly different. My CRF-L has an EJK on it.....it improves the low end torque...but at the cost of fuel economy. I have followed this Rally thread since it started, and a 2013 CRF-L thread. I have not seen any ECU replacement on a CRF-L. However, dig around over at Thumper dot com....in some respects that site is more technical than here on ADVrider. There are numerous CBR sites....who knows what is going on there...
    kgnx likes this.
  18. dion1951

dion1951 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m putting the stock 14 tooth sprocket back on my newly purchased Rally and need to know if the flat side goes towards the case or if it’s the raised side. Sorry for the newbie question.
  19. chopper13

Oddometer:
    The stamped in letters or numbers out
  20. dion1951

dion1951 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!