HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    What's the cost comparison on the 450 forks relative to, say, a RaceTech or Cogent rebuild?

Seems to me from an office desk a third of the way around the world like, it's an awesome mod if you're using the Rally at 10/10ths of the bike's capacity, but a set of rebuilt forks will get you to 9/10ths pretty well (and, honestly, I use the bike at like 3-5/10ths most of the time)
    Phmode and JungleDeath like this.
  2. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks gave some good ideas I’m 63 so any help standing and gripping bike will diffently help
    minkyhead likes this.
  3. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    id guess ractech springs and gold valves will be around 300 quid ...if you fit em yourself 400 for them to do it 450/500 quid is pretty much all in to do the conversioin as long as you do the labour ..so not much in it
    heres the thing that 500 is minus what you get back for the rally front id expect to sell the forks and wheel /disk for 300 or over probably get stuck with the steering stem and caliper ..but ill just put em on list .and sell em somtime for cheap

im not that worried tbo ive had it 3 years and its staying for a good while yet ...

it would be fair to say that the showa x forks are a cut above a reworked crf fork

l that said the rallys forks get you about quite welll and its not a must do per say

...these are just nice to have on them big rocky tracks ...part of me problem having done the 300l ..it was gonna be hard to choose the rally as there ace ...so i thought id even em up
    78er and Phmode like this.
  4. rcrfc

rcrfc n00b

Oddometer:
    Trying to decide on handlebar upgrades .I’d like the 1 1/8” bars. What are y’alls thoughts?
    Feedback about the crossbar vs no crossbar models also wanted.
  5. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you crash hard and frequently I’d say 1-1/8 with a crossbar (renthal twinwall) would be overkill. You get much better impact absorption and less vibration with a crossbar-less bar (protaper evo...the best), plus other little benefits like easier reach to your key and easier handguard mounting.
  6. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I'm probably getting 22mm / 7/8" CR Hi bars whenever I do swap 'em - keeps it on the stock clamps, plus I've already got 22mm sized Barkbusters, and I don't crash nearly hard nor often enough to need the fat bar
  7. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Minky,
    With the crossbar moved so far to the front; how is the access to the ignition? And secondly, can you still fully turn the bar without being obstructed by the instrument panel? Just two problems I ran into when trying to move the bars forwards for easier standing up.
  8. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may well get altered when I've had a proper ride. The x stem is about 12mm taller .the forks are wider. You lose about 10 percent of lock. No big deal. But that will help in a way. Steering stops have to be cut off and rewelded..I set em to the furthest forward position to start. And I may well work em back from there. There s pleaty of adjustment options for sure..access to the ignition is way better. But you will lose the steering lock
  9. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll fiddle around a bit then
  10. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Full (shameless) disclosure:
    https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1317003-thoughts-on-my-cogent-dynamics-suspension/

If you watch any YT vids of the Vegas To Reno race, that's is straight up the terrain I ride. Not at that pace but same dirt and same conditions. My forks have a slightly firmer low speed feel than oem and a softer high speed feel than oem, with little to no fork dive. The rebound is perfect to slightly too slow. When I get the chance (facepalm) I am going to take some fork oil out and see if it changes for the better. I rode 35-40 miles of dirt yesterday (got off work a little early) and felt like I could have gone longer, thus the suspension is doing a great job.
    I love what @minkyhead is doing with his bike. We have similar habits when it comes to motorcycles. I'm going to wait for the Honda 3 chamber air forks to come on the used market in a few years.
    I'm not sure if I'm off base here but in the USA, the used market is expensive. Not just suspension but finding a 300 motor for a reasonable price is not happening. Anyway.
    minkyhead likes this.
  11. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot he also bought a Crf250l side stand
  12. kleckcrf

kleckcrf n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

I recently bought a CRF 250 Rally and will pick up the bike next week!

What can you guys tell me about different crash bars available for the Rally?

Thanks!
    Hpcast and TRX Rally like this.
  13. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Hi and congrats on your Rally and welcome to the madhouse :-)

Firstly, the bike is very low on power and crash bars are very heavy, unless you find some made from Unobtainium or Costalotium!

There are not many available for the Rally. I bought, fitted, promptly removed and sold on a set of the lowers from the chaps in Turkey. If you watch the video by CityGoneBad from down under (just a few posts ago) he talks about the shocking quality etc. He actually had the full set fitted including the uppers which I found to be very badly mounted at the front, merely using the fairing bolts to secure them.

I found they made the bike vibrate more as they join the frame to the engine mounts. The fit wasn't great but I'm picky like that.

I think a far better idea is the carbon fairing protectors and additional carbon sump guard from Kodama Composites here in UK. Not cheap but very effective and great quality. Being feather-light they shouldn't cost the earth to ship to whichever continent you are on. Those who have crashed with them on say they do the job.

If you are a big crasher and worried about the plastics, then a better idea might be to cut off the lower plastic portions as per #minkyhead's bike, again photos a few posts ago. And/or, get a spare set of plastics off ebay and cut them down.

If you crash a lot and are worried about your legs then I think the crash bars might cause more damage to you than they prevent.

Other's will have their own experiences to share. Good luck, Brian
    78er, boboneleg and Glenn247 like this.
  14. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I concur with @Phmode

I chose not to get those Turkish guards and instead splurged on Kodoma composite parts. Good inmate to do business with

My bike is posted way back in this madhouse thread showing the carbon fiber protection
    kleckcrf and thms like this.
  15. TRX Rally

TRX Rally Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm happy with Motoskill, not sure where they ship internationally.. https://motoskillthailand.com/products/crash-bar-honda-crf-25

other upgrades. https://advrider.com/f/threads/jan-...age1-of-my-5-year-plan.1419530/#post-38993896

Some will say upgrades are over the top but bike was built for a specific purpose and trip from Thailand to Netherlands.... i'm currently in Nepal.. Bike is working flawlessly. And she's seen a lot of off-road, and bad road conditions..

Enjoy your new bike!
    kleckcrf and Phmode like this.
  16. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    They look way better than the Turkish ones.

Here are the Kodama Composites bits on my bike...

24CDF7DA-5E58-4E84-9522-15824D41C3AA.jpeg
    Glenn247, kleckcrf and thms like this.
  17. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JungleDeath likes this.
  18. Laughing_mole

Laughing_mole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also fitted and have "battle tested" the Kodama Composites belly pan and lower fairing protectors - very good.
    Glenn247 and kleckcrf like this.
  19. kleckcrf

kleckcrf n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys! Kodama stuff looks really good. May be a very good option for buying!
    What about your experience with protecting the upper side plastic fairings when dropping the rally of the tracks?
  20. Laughing_mole

Laughing_mole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kleckcrf,
    Fit Barkbusters or equivalent serious handguards - the bike will rest on those. I also fitted some small bags to the side of my fairing to take any hits.
    Glenn247 likes this.