1. eNewsletter Sign Up

HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice 5 Part YouTube video series from "TheRidingDave" about a 22 day 11 country TET journey on a Honda 250 Rally here:

City Gone Bad, thms, ErÑete and 3 others like this.
  2. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to sell my f800 gs and move to a 250
    Today a dealer told me the crf 250l has 2 hp more than the ralley version
    Any truth to this?
  3. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No
  4. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the context was in that conversation. The short answer as @Lee Dodge said, no. However if the salesman was eluding to the weight difference, then the L will feel faster due to a 20lb difference. Will you be able to feel it? Maybe. If you can test ride each you will get a better idea.
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  5. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the in sight, I was asking if they had a ralley in stock to wich he replied " get the 250l, its lighter and has 2 more hp"
    I've read through some of this thread but never came across hp figures
  6. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It appears he is ignorant or lying to make a sale. Beware.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and Fitz Fortune like this.
  7. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, he also may be confused between the earlier CRF250L and the 2017+ CRF L and Rally.
  8. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. The motor is the same in 250L and 250L Rally versions. The Rally model is heavier.
  9. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Rally from 2017-20 has more power than the L up to 2016. That´s the 2hp the retailer is aware of. The basic engine is still the same. Power came from larger throttle body and other minor differences.
    Maybe the retailer is not that deep in the differences of the L to Rally.....or he likes to sell the L over the Rally.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and Dread like this.
  10. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Of course. I had forgotten your write-up. I was confused by your comments about all the talk of suspension getting you hot and bothered; over excited more like :-)
    JungleDeath likes this.
  11. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Rally does cause some excitement!
  12. Hard_Boiled_Greg

Hard_Boiled_Greg n00b

Oddometer:
    So I'm planning to sell my 2017 CRF250 Rally to move to more of a true dirt bike. My Rally only has 650 miles on it and has all of the following upgraded components (over $2,400) worth:

Tires: IRC Trails GP-22R rear tire ($84)
    Exhaust. FMF Silencer and Power Bomb header pipe. ($315 + $189)
    Shock: Öhlins HO 703 Adventure S46 shock. ($750)
    Battery: Tusk Lithium Ion Starter Battery TLP7ZS. Shaves off 4 lbs. ($93)
    Foot Pegs: IMS Rally ($200)
    Handle Bars: ProTaper Contour bar with ProTaper bar adapters. ($71 + $38)
    Hand Guards: Zeta XC Protectors ($21) & Cycra Probend handguard bar ($45)
    Shift Lever: Zeta Revolver ($38)
    Back End: DRC Edge2 Tail Light Kit with DRC Type 602 flashers & 12OClockLabs 31-TSF interrupter (Done. $76 + $40)
    Mirrors: Doubletake Adventure mirrors ($120) with
    EJK (Electronic Jet Kit) - Dobeck EJK 3.0 Fuel Controller. ($250)
    Drive Protectino: Zeta Drive/Sprocket Cover ($48)
    Handle Grips: ProTaper Pillow Top MX Grips ($12)
    Headlight Guard: ($50)

The bike is in nearly new shape. What would you expect this bike to sell for in the U.S.? I'm just trying to gauge what I should ask for it from those with more experience. I've only had the bike for six months.

0D09D680-F144-4630-B268-907E8AC55225.jpeg

8B87F36A-085C-419F-9BF8-FABC8496C86E.jpeg
  13. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it’s a 2017 that you have had for six months. Are you the original owner and bought it as a leftover then do all those mods, then realize you would rather have something else?
    If it were me I’d ride the hell out of it. These bikes are versatile, fun, and very low maintenance.
    I’d get a dirt bike too if you have the budget and place to keep it. My .02
    OB1UK, Hamamelis and Wind_Rider like this.
  14. Hard_Boiled_Greg

Hard_Boiled_Greg n00b

Oddometer:
    I purchased it from a dealership after Facetiming some buddies who ride a lot who told me to buy it because of the shape and all of the nice after-market upgrades that had been placed on it. The bike only had 400 miles on it when I bought it and had all the mods. It was my first bike purchase, and I hadn't researched much about it or about the type of riding I want to do. This winter I have done a lot of research into bikes and the type of riding I would like to do, and I've come to the conclusion that I want to do more trail/enduro riding. The Rally is like 340 lbs which is too much to handle on tight trails for someone like me who is 5'9" and 150 lbs. Don't get me wrong, the bike is fantastic for what it is intended for which is dual-sport riding. That just isn't what I plan to do.
    kleckcrf likes this.
  15. Dread

Oddometer:
    it’s the right bike to learn on. You DO NOT want a hardcore trail/enduro to figure things out on. Both CRF models are nearly ideal starter bikes for many different types of riding, albeit the Rally is tall. Ride it for a season then decide what you want. I’m not being a smart ass here, I mean this sincerely, you don’t have enough experience to know what works for you her. The RALLY is a very forgiving bike, and that is what you should start with. And how-boy, that bike is dressed well!

price, you will never get the value of the add ons out of it. You are better off pulling them and selling in the flea market here than trying to use them to raise the bike’s value. That is just how it goes. Good luck whatever you decide and ride safe.
  16. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    If it had all those mods when you bought it the difference between 400 and 650 miles if fairly irrelevant and it's probably still worth what you paid for it, assuming you paid a fair price. I'd start there if you're determined to sell.
  17. Hard_Boiled_Greg

Hard_Boiled_Greg n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been debating back and forth what to do. I don't really have the budget now to pay this off and buy a second bike. My intent was to get either a Beta XTrainer or a Beta 200RR (both of which come pre-wired to add lights to make it street legal for short rides between trails) which are highly rated for beginning riders. Bikes like those are over 100 lbs lighter than the Rally. That's a significant difference when trying to establish confidence. I have lowered my Rally a couple of inches so I can flat-foot it now. I tipped it over once, and at 340 lbs it was a beast to lift up. I can't see myself dabbing through single track on a 340 lb bike. I can certainly see myself riding logging roads and mild dirt trails with no issue on the Rally. I do appreciate your thoughts and honesty.
  18. Hard_Boiled_Greg

Hard_Boiled_Greg n00b

Oddometer:
    I snagged it for only $4,700. The Rally sells for $6K new with no upgrades, so I'm fairly confident I could get what I paid for it if not more.
  19. Dread

Oddometer:
    Understandable for sure. What is neat about the Rally is it is very adaptable. It can ride circles around the heavier adventure bikes off road and it is way more comfortable to tour on than the hardcore off-road bikes. Reliable as the sun and long service intervals. It is heavier than the other bikes you mention, but they are essentially dirt bikes. As Rocky said, you could probably get what you have into it back, but if you got a more single track bike and then wanted to adventure tour, you might not be happy. One season learning on the Rally and you will be that much better on the other bikes when you get one, or you may decide to just keep the Rally. First bikes are like that, you ride a bit and zero in on what you want based on the experience you have. And perspective is funny. I have a KLR and I HATE picking that thing up. The CRF is a cakewalk comparatively.
    Hamamelis and kleckcrf like this.
  20. Dread

Oddometer:
    ‘I’d start at $5,500 and bargain some. Dang! 4,700???