1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crappy weather here in Southeast PA - high is ~39F and been raining most of the day. I’m not complaining though because there was some wet snow in the Poconos but temps are high enough that it won’t stick and black ice shouldn’t be a problem tomorrow.
    My girlfriend is working from home for the next few weeks at least and her work requires peace and quiet or she’s on the phone with clients. I made myself scarce by doing bike maintenance in the garage and planning some new routes.
    I had to wash my bike the other day (2nd time since I got it) to fix the fuel filter issue. Today I checked, lubed, and adjusted everything I could think of so maintenance is all taken care of for a few weeks - so much easier on a clean bike!
    Tomorrow I’m looking forward to getting out the door by 9 or 10 am for a long day of dirty roads and social distancing. :ricky:happay
    Brokenoldbiker and JungleDeath like this.
  2. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JungleDeath and SnowGS like this.
  4. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bicycle floor pump for top offs and a
    Motopressor at full tire change. It's hard to get a bead to seat with my floor pump.

This. Is simple, cheap and easy. Preferably with the gauge at the top of the body. Easier on the eyes.
  5. Brokenoldbiker

Brokenoldbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RileyRallyBike likes this.
  6. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it was the ethanol content in the fuel. Does it have that sort of effect on stuff? Here in Europe we don't really have much of it and if you stick to the decent stuff it has none.
  7. Phmode

Oddometer:
    It's fine if a little pricey as it is badged Michelin. Here is what I have...

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200-adv-lc-2014-on-2018-on/airman-electric-air-pump

...and I have power cord fitted with a plug to fit the Optimate charging lead which is fitted straight across the battery so I can use the pump in the field if I need to. A foot pump is all very well but not practical to carry with you.

For tyre fitting I have a proper compressor but at 35 kg I can't carry that and a 5 mile power cord on the bike :-)
  8. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you here the one about daddy pig mummy pig and baby pig

9. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have tried a few bicycle floor pumps, even supposedly high quality (SKS airworx). Pumphead malfunctioned within a year.
    Also have one of these (see pic). Fried a fuse on the weestrom at first use..
    IMG_7486 kopie.jpg
    JungleDeath likes this.
  10. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blackburn pumps are what I’ve used for years with my bicycles and motorcycles.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  11. Brokenoldbiker

Oddometer:
    Epic ride! Beautiful country! Would like to know the artist in the first track, I liked it. Your suspension work really looks like it has paid off in those rock sections, looks very stable. Need to reread your conversion on the fork to get a shopping list, that looked KTM stable. Briefly thought about looking for a blown up KTM and putting the Honda motor in it after I got this heavy pig stuck in the mud . Ha! 100 pounds is huge when you are pushing! Thanks.
    minkyhead likes this.
  12. Brokenoldbiker

Oddometer:
    We have Non-alcohol premium around here. Manual says 87, but with an ICU controlling timing I can't see the harm in running the Non. I use it in all my small engines and have not had to rebuild a carb in years. Will be in next tank.
  13. Phmode

Oddometer:
    The ECU may indeed control the timing but the Rally doesn't have a knock sensor so it can't compensate for the fuel you use. Brian
    Brokenoldbiker likes this.
  14. Brokenoldbiker

Oddometer:
    Ah, did not know that, but higher octane will not cause knock, just has less energy in it so in the interest of being alcohol free..... At the very least the last tank of the season should be alcohol free for those of us up here in the snow belt. I know they make provisions for it when they design, but the moisture it collects in winter will still be harmful . Going to try some today and see how it runs.
  15. Phmode

Oddometer:
    And that is why you should connect the pump directly across the battery and fit a higher rated fuse in the line. I keep my pump well away from the on-board electrics. Brian
    Pilomajajo and RockyDS like this.
  16. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Another great vid, as usual. I didn't even see the rock/hole that got you off (so to speak), and I guess, nor did you :-)
    minkyhead likes this.
  17. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    its very nice now much more surefooted in the rugby ball roacks and the like ....and the rebound is obviuse when hitting summet fast it just doesnt bounce up anywhere near as much ...that said i really dont theink the stock set up is that bad .....a bit stiffer and better rebound stack it would be fine ....i dont think they do a bad job at all overall :hmmmmm ....but i wont be swopping back anytime soon :D

music is lightening bolt by jake bugg

braaaaaaaap
  18. vbonline

vbonline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Anybody with a source for fitting short brake and clutch levers for a 2018 CRF250 Rally (MD44)?

I got a pair from China, but they are not fitting.

I drive short levers on all my bikes and I really want some for my "Africa Single" :-)
  19. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had similar issue with shorty chinese made levers. Aliexpress I think. Brake lever works perfect. Clutch doesn't. I tried remachining it to get the correct pivot bolt hole. Still no luck. Others have had similar luck. However....I think...someone came up with a shorty clutch lever that DOES work...maybe he/she/they can comment. The machine work on them is outstanding...but most made them to the wrong dimensions.
  20. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fixed my stock clutch lever with a Dremel. Very happy with the result.

20190131_164214-01.jpeg
    thanossw1 and BarryB like this.