1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:

Cracking video Steve, Dave looks well at home on that Rally :ricky
    minkyhead likes this.
  2. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    No one makes a set for the Rally. The fitement is different from the base CRF 250 L

These...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dirtbike...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

...fit, but the clutch lever has a pivot hole that is too big to fit as is and too small to fit the bush from the original lever.

Solution was to use one of the spare spacers from a set of Oxford Hot Grips. Fitted perfectly (with a little hammer) and they work perfectly.

Alternatively, re-drill the mount and use a thicker bolt!

If you buy them complain they don't fit: they refunded all my cost eventually.

Winner, winner chicken dinner :-)
  3. Phmode

Oddometer:
    ...but no 'blob' to stop your fingers slipping off the end...
    :-)
  4. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

CRFsOnly stocks the Zeta levers which are excellent quality and I am sure will fit perfectly. Not inexpensive but then quality seldom is. https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/355_358_362_369/products_id/6319
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  5. TheMostAnnoyingDad

TheMostAnnoyingDad n00b

Oddometer:
    Bit of a rainy day on the Gold Coast (QLD) Australia, so I’d thought post a pick and List the Mods!
    I always found this handy when others did the same,;helping me decide on what I wanted to do to my bike!
    First off very happy with the way that it’s performing with the type of riding that I’m doing at the moment.
    Cosmetics
    Solid front screen from Geba. - bit better aerodynamics for me having a more upright position
    Acrebis supermoto front fender
    Drc edge 2 tail tidy

Other Bits
    Bar risers
    K&N air Filter
    Custom header & Arrow exhaust - I’ve found that the rerouted pipe allows for more cool air to run through to the air filter.
    Dobec ejk - huge difference with the performance of the bike. Pipe, filter and ejk have opened up and changed the “Torque” range of the bike significantly from stock!
    Racetek springs front and rear - smoothed out the ride a lot. (nudie rudie im 90kg) No more diving!

5500 km so far and still having fun.
    Will try and upload video for some sound effects

BEA8FB75-D31A-4E30-A84C-786AD45CACD5.jpeg
    Fast1, Iceman68, PRN and 10 others like this.
  6. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have fitted these with no problems:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000097072813.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.248c4c4dDpyzb7
    A little 'up and down' play on the clutch side, but with a washer no big deal
  7. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful graphics!! Assume those aren't stock, although you don't mention them under the Cosmetics?
  8. vbonline

vbonline Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. TheMostAnnoyingDad

TheMostAnnoyingDad n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks; pulled the old stickers off and printed out some die cut vinyl,
    Black vinyl wrap on the tank.
    If it’s any help, I purchased a graphics template From thailand for the panels. Not 100% accurate for a full wrap (realistically 85%) but happy to email if any one wants a copy!
  10. Brokenoldbiker

Brokenoldbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went for 100 mile ride today. Went down on ice, cracked one of the lower side fairings. Meh. But,,,,,,,,,,,,, and this you may want to check if your bike is new, my header was coming off. I heard it, stopped and decided I was not going to try to fix it in the woods. I was only about ten miles form my brothers shop. One of the nuts had backed out and fell in the pan, stayed in there because the pan was full of leaves from my river crossings, lucked out. The other side the stud was coming out. I took them out and used blue on the studs, nothing on the nuts as I will be taking it apart again soon. So, check your nuts!

Skid guard is pretty tough, slid it across a couple of logs and it was still fine when I pulled it off, was surprised really. Need to change gearing, have to use the clutch to hop logs, and I smashed the clutch hand last fall, new fabricated bones, and it is not very strong, plus I am missing a finger on that hand so when I clutch over it wants to jerk that bar end out of my hand. About 3 teeth?

Was in water up to the tank, and it pulled through. Better than I did, was kind of a surprise. Must have been a Jeep stuck in that crossing.

All in all a good day, and if your bike is new check the torque on those studs.
  11. Phmode

Oddometer:
    That's a real surprise, most things on my bike were so tight from new I couldn't get half of the stuff off without a struggle.
  12. Trogg

Trogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Annoyingdad
    re.Cosmetics
    Solid front screen from Geba. - bit better aerodynamics for me having a more upright position

How did you manage to order your screen and costs please? i'm U.K. based
    Many thanks.
  13. Brokenoldbiker

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if mine was one of the 18's that had to have the case split and the c-lock fixed? If that is the case then the dealer had the motor out. I asked when I bought it and they just said that all recalls were up to date?
  14. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your VIN on the NHTSA website. That recall notice came out 2 or 3 weeks after I bought my bike. I was lucky and mine was not on the list.

Edit: More info here
  15. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These have to be installed new each time. They crush and stay crushed. If you leave the old one in you can't get the same torque spec going back on. Not sure if that was what happened to your header bolt.
    20200306_175251.jpg

New header going on...
    20200306_181625.jpg
    for
    20200307_102725.jpg
    :super
    thanossw1, rexbro and Nick MN like this.
  16. JungleDeath

JungleDeath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping I could get a service manual check from someone. I'm about to install a cbr300r flywheel. The flywheel bolt torque spec is, according to my e-manual, 94lb-ft or 128nm. This is on page 13-7 under Alternator/Starter Clutch.
    It does not seem right. I **think** they meant to say 49lb-ft or 67nm. Can someone check the paper version? Thanks in advance.
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rally and CRFL paper manuals say 94/128, both manuals say on pg 1-16 94/128....parts manual says flywheel bolt is a 12mm....but in general a 12mm nut and bolt is around 55 lb-ft but those are cheap grade 8.8...regardless, 3 references say 94/128
    PRN and JungleDeath like this.
  18. Brokenoldbiker

Oddometer:
    Thats why I put the locktite on the studs and not the nuts, I had to ride it home yesterday. Dealer closed. I guess they can't be much $$$. and I would order on line, but my wallet fell out of my pocket on the same ride and I canceled all my cards. Was still a good day! Would have had riding gear on with zippered pockets, but all my gear shrunk in the past few years while I was not riding.:lol3
    JungleDeath likes this.
  19. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The VIN on my 2018 fell a few numbers outside of the recall range, but to be on the safe side Honda approved the recall. We have an excellent local dealer, so I had no problem with the work being done.
    JungleDeath likes this.
  20. PRN

PRN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, I hope you're all well.

I'm having to list my bike for sale (as reluctantly as one can do so) in the Denver area. If you have anyone that might be interested, please send along. If you have any inquires/interest yourselves, feel free to message me on here. I would do an ADV Rider discount hah

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/englewood-2017-honda-crf250l-rally-up/7100307460.html

I hope to rejoin the ranks after my wife, son and I conclude our "US Adventure" this year. We've sold our house in Denver and will be buying an airstream to travel in the remainder of the year. Bad timing with COVID? Absolutely lol but it was already planned and we're going with it. If anything we're mitigating a hell of a lot of debt doing this, so at least we've got that going for us while living on the road (albeit a bit cramped hah!).
    Phmode and JungleDeath like this.