HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. twistys4me

twistys4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. BigKev3

BigKev3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brian - I have gone back a dozen pages or so but cant find your post K Tech front spring
    I am keen to know how the spring affects sag at front end, ie do the bars sit higher. Also does the stiffer spring take away any of the 'comfort' on tarmac. Finally is there much to fitting it, ie do you have to remove wheel, fork etc.
  3. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    BRIAN (Phmode): I'm with BigKev3 on this question. What is the spring rate? Race Tech says the CRF-L and Rally have the same rate spring...0.72 kg/mm. I have fiddled my Rally fork spring with a shim to increase preload, and know removing that snap ring is a PITA. I am collecting the bits to make my Rally a "LD" setup for lower seat height and road use.
  4. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    To start at the end, for me the comfort is much better because the pogo'ing has gone. Still not been off-road with this set up yet.

All the sag figures are given in the posts linked to below.

Installation does require the removal of the front wheel and right fork leg. In theory, with the bike on a lift, it 'might' be possible to remove the spring (after getting that bloody irritating circlip out, without removing the wheel or fork leg) let all the oil drain off it and put the oil back in the fork tube and then slip the new spring in. In theory, the new spring is fatter and longer than the old one so it's extra volume will make up for any oil you discard on the old spring.

I took both fork legs out and replaced the oil in both with Motul 10w.

If you are unsure of your mechaniching skills or you have fingers like pigs udders, that bloody circlip will be a challenge.

The pre-installation figures are in Post #12672 here...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf250-rally-owners.1212233/page-634#post-39877741

...and the final figures are in Post#12713 here...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf250-rally-owners.1212233/page-636

For info. the K-Tech spring was 8.5N/mm with an option of 9N/mm.

Hope this helps. Brian
  5. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    BRIAN: Thanks, Ed
  6. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Just spent an age trying to work out the relationship between Kg/mm and N/mm. and the answer is a lemon.

1 N is equal to 0.101971621 Kilogram.
    1Kg is equal to 9.8066500286389 N

So my 8.5N/mm spring is 0.8667587784999999 Kg/mm (And I was using the wrong units in saying Nm/mm, Nm is a measure of torque :( )

And your figure of 0.72 Kg/mm equals 7.060788020619972 N/mm

Got that?

Pay attention at the back. I'll be asking questions later...:-)

And, to address the vexed question of what this does to the ride height of the bike...

Well, with the YSS set to 30mm static sag and the front K-Tech giving 15mm static sag, the stock seat height at the lowest point is now 920mm from mother earth. Unloaded of course apart from a full tank of fuel.

Loaded, with my new, svelte 82Kg weight (without kit) the seat height comes down to 880mm with a little weight on the feet to balance the bike.
  7. northumbrian

northumbrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it helps I’m 16 stone, and the 9nm spring works well for me
  8. BigKev3

BigKev3 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for all the info Brian. Just love Forums, saves getting all that gear on and riding.
  9. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian: Yup....I understand the mathematical confusion of conversions.....and Google did it for me. Thanks for everything...sad to hear you are still in lockdown/social distancing crapola. We (USA) may be under threat from a morphed Covid variety and new stay at home etc rules. Oh joy.
  10. Rx4Pain

Rx4Pain Do something... even if it's wrong.

Oddometer:
    I spent an hour yesterday finding his sag figures “before”/“after”. I should have waited until today...!

After seeing the figures, I will install the YSS Shock and ride with the stock forks for a bit. See how it feels. I really like the way the stock setup soaks up bumps. I have a feeling, however, that for the sake of balancing the feel or characteristics front/back.....that I will likely end up with the racetech spring getting installed when all is said and done. We will see.

Looks like 30% sag was achieved Phmode, or very close to it. For my riding I will aim for 40%. It will be interesting to see if I can achieve that (evenly front to back) with just the YSS Shock.

Nice to have all these figures and anecdotes to balance my own thoughts on this suspension fix!

Ken
  11. Phmode

Oddometer:
    I guess I should add (for the vertically challenged among you - Ed) that even with my new seat height I can still flat foot the bike in my slippers with my 33" inseam/inside leg. With full kit and boots it should be even easier.

But on uneven ground? Outrigger wheels methinks :-)
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian: It's sad you're stuck inside only "road testing" your handy work in slippers! My point of reference is my '13 CRFL just feels less wobbly mounting and dismounting and in very slow parking lot situations compared to the Rally. I just find it hard to believe the 30 or so pounds difference of the Rally is at fault. Plus the Rally has a "rocking-horse" feel that is not present in the CRFL. I blame the whole mess on the $hitty Rally shock. One suspension link is on back order . That combined with abnormally hot weather stops the transformation.....but still, a couple 3 hours of riding is possible starting at sunup.
  13. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Yeah! The lockdown is easing, pubs and restaurants are open as from yesterday. The big concern for us oldies is that there are 20% of the population who are not taking it seriously and that will impact the elderly most.

A 50'odd year old friend of my neighbours was very flippant about it. He went out to Spain in the very beginning and then to Singapore later on. He's dead! I could care less about him. I don't see what his wife and family did to deserve his utter contempt for a killer virus.

Being aged and asthmatic puts me in a doubly susceptible category. I do venture out on the Rally to the local farm shop but there's too much risk involved in riding off-road at the moment. A simple cracked ankle and I'm in hospital and that's the last place I want to be right now. I nearly got totalled by a huge truck on the way back from the farm on Monday. Just drove straight across a junction in front of me. My front brake had been very poor (I sorted the rear way back) and I took the pads out and roughed them up last weekend. Had I not done that, I'd have been under his wheels.

The stories are starting to emerge here about the long term impact of the virus, even among those who had a relatively mild illness and made a full 'recovery'. Makes me shudder!

I keep on saying this, the Rally is a big bike. The Rally has a seat height 20mm/3/4" taller than the L (2017, don't know about your '13) and 15mm/5/8" greater ground clearance. Add to that the extra 2litres/0.6 US gall of fuel and the extra weight of the instrument binnacle, screen and associated hardware all high up on the bike and you soon notice the difference.

Also, the Rally has 2 x 3-way catalytic converters in the can. I don't know about your L.

I have a new silencer arriving from Italy next week and that will shave at least 3Kgs off the bike. The stock boat anchor weighs in at 5.2Kgs/11.5lbs and that is carried reasonably high up.

It would be interesting to ride an L and see what the difference feels like.

If I do struggle off-road with the current ride height of the bike I still have that inch of ride height to utilise in the top eye of the YSS and I can drop the triple clamps on the forks by the same amount. We'll see once it all pans out.

Shows how desperate things are getting, I just cleaned the car...:-)
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    One year to the day, and ca. 4400 miles later since this post, I've ended up doing the following:
    • Put the bike on Shinko 705s, which are great in terms of grip and steering. Plus, seem to get me slightly more mechanically advantageous "gearing" (i.e., truer speedo readings, higher top speed) than the IRCs did.
    • Put on Renthal 7/8s CR Mids and Barkbusters. Zeta front brake lever, too. Lifesavers, absolutely, both for durability and ergos.
    • I have a soft rack from Green Chili Adventure Gear that I only put on for longer trips. It's kinda rad for how light and simple it is, and how low it puts weight, albeit the system is probably a little more fiddly than some other options and takes some finesse to get right

I will say, the only issue I'm really seeing at the moment is a noticeable front wheel "bouncing" oscillation that gets tiring after only a few miles - gonna get my wheels trued and steering bearings packed with grease on my next service, as well as new front RaceTech springs, to get the bike behaving properly and even better than stock.
  15. Xevel

Xevel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys while everybody is talking about installing YSS shocks, could someone who hasn't finished installing it give me its weight please?
    I'm trying to log every weight changes on the bike to get a better understanding about where I'm currently at and where I could lose some more weight.
    Thanks!
  16. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd thought of doing that before I fitted mine...:(
  17. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Xevel
    As BigKev3 said "YSS is about 25% lighter than stock"
    Stock weights 3690g :D
    Hyperpro 460 weights 3600g
    YSS MZ456 weights ?g :y0!
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Conversion....454 grams in a pound
  19. BigKev3

BigKev3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted the YSS shock with their standard spring. I have a digital spring balance and weighed the OEM and YSS
    OEM 3.68 KG
    YSS 2.77KG
    Saving 0.91Kg
    24.7% lighter
    Xevel likes this.
  20. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Result!