HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    Bike was not loaded, empty.
    Was just turning around on a trail 0 mph leaned over, put my foot down and could hold it.
    Fell right on top of foot. Bike handled great with gear on slab, great ride into DV only 280 miles.
    Rode and handled great in DV also with just tools on bike.
    When I say too heavy, just too heavy for me.
    68 yrs young but knees have both been replaced and are not nearly as strong as they used to be.
    Maybe I stayed with it too long as did not want to scratch it up as like new.
    I do know one thing for sure, if I was on a TW200 or an xt225, I would of NOT fallen over and if I
    was I just would of hopped off and let bike fall as no plastic to scratch.
    Now when I tell peeps on KTM 950s or 990s my 250 is too heavy they laugh as there bike are100 lbs heavier,
    same weight the Rally is heavier than the xt225, which is huge riding trails.
    XT225 does everything Rally does except cruise as fast on freeway, but since I rode my XT225 to Idaho and back
    2500miles it will work. Rally has EFI which is the reason I bought one in the first place.
    Plan on trucking my bike from now on, no more tent camping. Will see how long that lasts!!

Happy Riding,

hh
    wwm
    randypower and Davidprej like this.
  2. heirhead

Oddometer:
    READ PREVIOUS POST PLEASE ABOUT WEIGHT!
    CRF250L Rally is more than adequate for any amount of highway miles you need to go, loaded down.
    Unless you are riding with big bikes, 700 or bigger and they feel the need to cruise at 85.
    You will catch them when gets technical though.
    NO VSTROM. Off road class would get you started in the right direction, but just ride your Strom in a field, park, walk away, lay it on its side, get on and off, you will get your answer.

Happy riding,

hh
    wwn
    Davidprej likes this.
  3. Rx4Pain

Rx4Pain Do something... even if it's wrong.

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with the XT225 being way more manageable. I actually recommend that bike to anyone that asks me about an on/off road bike...as long as they are about 5’ 10” or less. It is a very under rated bike. I also owned and loved the manageability of the Super Sherpa I had previously.

If one is not in a hurry, and does not have an ego....either of those bikes will take you anywhere. Just not fast.

The Rally is heavier, but I think it’s overall size plays a role in this discussion. Our body weight simply sits higher, and raises the center of gravity. Any weight placed on the Rally, including our own bodies, sits higher than either of the two previously mentioned bikes. The bike is simply not as compact.
    As an example, I have a 1972 Honda CL 350 that weighs the same as my Rally. Is shorter, lower, and 3/4 the overall size of the Rally. Same weight, but I doubt you would ever drop it, as the weight is just so low to the ground....including the ridiculously heavy wheels/brakes etc.

The weight is certainly a factor to consider, but equally....one needs to consider the overall dimensions of the bike and how that works with, or against the weight of the bike.

Definitely riding what one is comfortable with, and can manage, is sound advice.

I will add this as well....Each year I plan and ride a solo trip, usually about 2800-3000 miles. I purposely avoid Freeways, preferring two lane roads. (Not as safe statistically, but slower). Planning takes longer having to piece together local roads, frontage roads, often not convenient for finding fuel etc....ha! My goal is to ride no faster than about 60 mph....preferring 45 or so. I want to take things in, not blast past everything. Sometimes, it’s hard to lay off the throttle. We are conditioned to “get there”!

The XT 225 would be fine on even these longgggg road rides, if traveling with me. Because I’m not in a hurry. Another group...might leave you behind, preferring to travel at 75-80.

The Pioneers travelled just as far. And a lot slower. These days we tend to take less time, have less time, or try to compress more into the time we have.
    In the back of my mind....I’m kicking around the idea of taking that 73 Honda, a spare set of points....and crossing my fingers.

Any sound bike will do.

Ken
    randypower, Davidprej and heirhead like this.
  4. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Dinged up now but LET'S RIDE!!

hh
    wwm
  5. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
  6. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Jpiombo67 and RockyDS like this.
  7. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that be nice!
    Phmode likes this.
  8. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    RockyDS likes this.
  9. Brokenoldbiker

Brokenoldbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to ride the new Kawasaki 300 back to back with my 250 Rally. I thought it would feel like my old Kawi 300r but it does not. Feels small, a bit twitchy, not much faster, and miss the wind protection of the rally as it was chilly that day. No sale.
    Vark, Davidprej and Nick MN like this.
  10. jonnylikesvtwins

jonnylikesvtwins Have I learned anything yet?

Oddometer:
    I'm selling a RaceTech fork spring kit for $70 shipped if you (or anyone else) is interested...PM me for details
  11. jonnylikesvtwins

Oddometer:
    Hello again guys & gals; I've not been posting in quite a while, but I've continued to ride my 2017 Rally...in fact, last week I passed on buying a Tenere 700 and bought a 2nd Rally (a 2018 this time) instead. My plan is to make one of them my touring bike & the other one my dual sport specific model.
    Vark and Nick MN like this.
  12. MIGUI

MIGUI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody used a rear tire size 130/90X18 on a Rally with ABS?
    I was thinking on buying this size for my rear tire replacement. Any thoughts?
  13. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a 130 on my Rally 250 and only rode it about 150 miles before going back to stock 120/80. The bigger tire just killed it on hills. I had to constantly downshift.
    I would not recommend straying from stock tire size unless you are a feather weight.
    okiegtrider likes this.
  14. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I had on the d606 Dunlop in 120 90 18 and they were good. Noticeable power loss however but they performed well in off-road conditions, weren't bad on surface roads. Went back to the MT-21 Pirelli's in the smaller size. The Pirelli's also weigh less than the Dunlop's.
  15. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Welcome back. So JohnnyLikesRallys...so, with two of them, why are you selling the fork spring?
  16. jonnylikesvtwins

Oddometer:
    Because...I took the plunge and paid $$$ for a full Ohlins suspension set-up...And let me just say that it is pretty danged AWESOME! And because I recently upgraded to full Ohlins suspension (including a complete Ohlins rear shock) I no longer need the RaceTech rear spring upgrade.

Sooooo, if an inmate on this forum who is in the lower 48 USA states is interested, here are the details:

Just the RaceTech Rear Spring:
    The spring rate that I chose was 7.1kg (as I weigh approx 190lbs). This spring is literally LIKE-NEW and I will sell it INCLUDING SHIPPING to the lower 48 states for $135...that's over $50 in savings to you.

Complete Stock Shock w/ RaceTech Spring installed:
    However, if you don't want to go through the hassle of removing your stock rear spring & installing this one, I'm willing to sell my COMPLETE stock shock with this RaceTech spring already installed for $225 including shipping.

PM me if you are interested.
    Phmode likes this.
  17. BigKev3

BigKev3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this will have been covered somewhere deep in this thread, sorry.
    I am considering basic bar risers. Those that have done it, how high can you go without messing with cables etc. I have seen a set for £30 on ebay that have spacers so you can have 20,25,30, or 35mm rise.
  18. Phmode

Oddometer:
    I went up 50mm (2") with Vario Bar-Back risers (which allow you to swing the bars forward and backward some) with no cable or line problems but you do need to either remove or 'adjust' some of the clips along the fork line.

If you are Big, Kev, then don't be tempted by a low price or a basic set if you need to move the bars forward or backward. I found the stock position put the bars way too close to the body for comfort. My risers don't give 'much' in the way of forward without the bars hitting the screen, but it's enough for short stints on the pegs.

I doubt I could go above the 50 mm mark without control fouling. If you haven't changed them already, another way is to get better and thicker bars with a more agressive lift on the bars themselves. The stock bars are made of cheese and bend very easily if the ground suddenly comes up and biffs them...

If you do a simple search with 'Bar risers' in the subject line it will bring up a load of other solutions to this problem.
    randypower likes this.
  19. BigKev3

BigKev3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks PH. I am indeed tall. 6 foot five, 36 inside leg, 67 years young. I only ride tarmac and also have an Africa Twin Adventure Sport - the tallest bike known to man !. On the Rally I probably look a right knobhead as I sit right at the back of the seat. I have the YSS shock at rear, K tech spring at front. Since my mods the bike has fitted me great , but will amuse pedestrians. Last week I replaced the stock tyres with Avon Trailriders that are 90% road biased. Bike now rolls into bends instead of feeling like you have a puncture. But the weird thing is I felt that now I feel as though I want to sit more upright. Surely not the new tyres ?, Anyway for a few quid thought I would try risers. Also oddly the bike seams to vibrate a bit more on the road rubber, weird.
  20. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    ANDREANI FORK HYDRAULIC CARTRIDGE HONDA CRF 250 L
    Has anyone got this installed and can comment on its performance before I decide between this and the online/racetech?
    Thanks in advance, I can find very little information on it!!