HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Stop it. You don't need it and are just suffering from post-Covid lock-up syndrome...
    GlosBoy45 likes this.
  2. OB1UK

OB1UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought it set up for my weight, etc. plus K-Tech restrung forks from MCT Suspension here in Suffolk. https://www.mctsuspension.com

The complete setup was around £900.
    GlosBoy45 likes this.
  3. Phmode

Oddometer:
    And from another bike adventure (but not an adventure bike) I can thoroughly recommend MCT in Stowmarket.

Their workshop is a biker's wet-dream of stainless steel workbenches and costalotium parts with a big pile of unobtanium bits in various locked drawers and secret hideaways. Worth a visit just to blag a tour of their workshops...Brian
  4. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I've managed some 700 kilometres since getting my new (to me) Rally (between doing hay and home projects :baldy).
    I'm most surprised by the wind management. This bike has the least wind noise of anything I've ridden (5'10", 30" inseam).
    The stock tires are crazy noisy at speed but I'll bet I notice that because I'll actually ride this thing without earplugs.
    I'm riding secondary paved roads, gravel roads and 2-track trails. Any favorite tires out there?
  5. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I'm trying the Dunlop Mission 50/50. Haven't ridden on them enough for review but the on line reviews has them.
  6. Stromcat

Stromcat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought they were unavailable in our sizes?
  7. Stromcat

Stromcat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best colour!
  8. Tritwin

Tritwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2BEDE5B4-D0EF-406A-8A5C-16CA10FDF531.jpeg Todays trip , testing the new luggage rack from GP.....
    boboneleg, rexbro, GlosBoy45 and 2 others like this.
  9. GlosBoy45

GlosBoy45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I met up with Brian (Phmode) so that I could compare his YSS shock against my stock shock, plus check out some of the many other mods he has made. The Jap ECU and GPR exhaust do seem to make the engine perform better, to me it felt like the bike had been down geared but it wasn't it is simply that the engine pulled better/quicker. The YSS is definitely an improvement over stock, firmer without being hard. - Time to start saving.
    Thanks again Brian for your time and letting me have a spin.

Brian.jpg
    boboneleg, Glenn247 and rexbro like this.
  10. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Phmode What's the red part on your swingarm?

And great to see you two link up in the UK; Ride Red...
  11. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Hi Glenn,

It's a cheap Chinese swingarm protector, behind which the original swingarm is probably rotting quietly away...:-)
    Glenn247 likes this.
  12. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Yes, good to meet up at last Pete, it's only been a year since we planned it.

It was interesting to see someone else with 33" legs easily flatfooting the bike at a standstill ...then confessing it was a struggle when you try to turn it round on the road. The ground does suddenly seem to be a few inches further away with a YSS, especially on gravel or off-road.

Glad to feed you food for thought though Pete and I retract my previous quip about you not needing a remote YSS, I thought you had the stock YSS fitted. Save, save and save some more:-)
    GlosBoy45 likes this.
  13. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, I had a mountain bike rust on me over a 4-day trip to southern England...

Got a link for that swingarm protector? Fleabay I presume?

Notice you have local Kodoma composites on; I imported a set myself along with the skid plate
  14. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Hi Glenn,

It was actually Ali Express...

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32984826235.html

...I can't guarantee that this was the outfit I bought from but the price is about right and they fitted well. I added a couple red zip-ties to hold them snug in the centre of the run on the right one but they bolt up using existing mountings. I think I relieved the holes around the shoulder bolts for the chain guard so the bolts went in further.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  15. HpiRally

HpiRally Believes in Bigfoot

Oddometer:
    Looking for thoughts…I have a 16 GSA that I am considering selling for a 18 250l rally. Main reason is more off-road capable in my not off-road capable hands, not doing big long trips like I used to with the little one at home, and mainly looking for something to ride to the trail, the trail and then home here in the Rockies. Thinking of limiting my on road riding time for more off road.

has anyone else been in my shoes? Is going to a 23hp 250l rally a mistake from what is essentially my dream bike the GSA? My GSA has almost 30k on the clock. I absolutely love the look of the rally and think it is a phenomenal bike.
  16. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I think your going in the right direction. The GS isn't all that good off-road unless your an expert rider off-road. Rally is forgiving, but it does still weigh to much, might want to look at CRF250L standard if your only doing day trips.
    Brokenoldbiker likes this.
  17. HpiRally

Oddometer:
    Good input. Thanks. The reason for the rally was here in the Rockies I will need to ride for 15-90 minutes to get to the trail. Was thinking the added wind protection at highway speed would be nice. Is that incorrect thinking based off your experience?
  18. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend a CRF300L Rally over the 250, if you can find one. The one thing the 250 is not very good at is long stretches of highway, the 300 sounds like it has that solved. As stated the Rally is also very heavy for a dual sport, and the 300 fixes that decently as well by shaving off about 10lbs from the previous model.

Otherwise, the CRF Rally is an excellent choice if you plan your expectations accordingly. It's no speed demon, nor is it a hardcore single track machine. It is an absolutely phenomenal mini adventure bike, though, and I feel supremely more confident riding it anywhere compared to my Super Adventure.
    Brokenoldbiker likes this.
  19. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my Rally in the Colorado, portion of the Continental Divide Trail Ride. It did fine but it was mostly gravel type dirt roads. If your more looking to do some of the trails like out of Silverton or Telluride I'd use a Standard CRF250L. Weight on those jeep trails really hurts.
  20. HpiRally

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input.

can a rally be slimmed down to match the weight of the standard L? If I went with the standard L I would probably get ramps for the truck and drive to the trail vs ride there.

I like the 250 over the 300 due to price. The market here is showing $6000+ for the 300 vs mid $4k for a lightly used and nicely modified 250 rally. My goal would be to stay below $5k.