HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I don't see putting a Rally on a diet. I did the Continental Divide Ride at 240 lbs. The Rally made it clear I was to big for it, both power and suspension. So during the next year I got custom suspension made F&R and went on a diet loosing 60 lbs. Now riding at 180Lbs is a tremendous difference. Next year I hope to be at 175, mostly for the Rally but also for Track Days.
  2. HpiRally

HpiRally Believes in Bigfoot

Oddometer:
    I am 158lbs give or take a few pounds depending in last nights meal.lol
    OneAUout likes this.
  3. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    if you browse through the replies in here to the many similar posts to yours, you will find some interesting stuff.
    1 it's a big bike
    2 the suspension off-road is barely tolerable and is not intended for western-sized riders
    3 it will cruise all day at highway speeds, depending on where your highway is
    4 it's almost impossible to shave much weight (get rid of the boat anchor that is the rear mudguard and fit a lightweight road-legal non-cat silencer and you can save a few pounds)
    5 below 6,000 it is never going to set the world on fire (an unobtanium Japanese ECU fixes that)

As long as you accept these limitations it is a great bike, you just need to get used to 24bhp...

Personally, if I were in the market now, I would spend the extra on a 300
    1litre likes this.
  4. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lighter exhaust and lithium battery will help reduce some high weight, and most of the bike's weight is carried low anyways...

So an aftermarket slip on and lithium battery are great ways to shave unwanted weight up high on the bike...

It is a full size bike with a 250...

My buddies not familiar with it but familiar with bikes had a hard time believing a bike as big as the Rally had only a 250cc motor in it, lol...made us all laugh...

It is what it is..
  5. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    O yea, I bought a Rally with full HyperPro suspension and it was totally different than the stock one I looked at originally..

A few aftermarket parts which will take investing some coin into the bike, make it fully capable...

Gotta love the long service intervals and a motor that will outlive your children and likely grandchildren...

As others have said, it is a great small adventure bike, but would not make a great dirt bike or trail bike...if you're going to trailer to the trails, get an actual dirt bike...
  6. HpiRally

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a bike that is….

- Less than $5000
    - I can ride to the trails and home, some highway, 65-70mph, to get there.
    - The trails will be unmaintained jeep style trails, no single track for me.
    - Low operating cost
    - I am 6ft tall and 158lbs

If the crf250 is not the bike for that then OK, the GSA will stay or I will look elsewhere.:) In my opinion there is nothing close to the CRF250L line out there so I figured I would start there.

thanks for the input!
    EZ-D likes this.
  7. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    The biggest challenge in that list of requirements is going to be cruising at 65-70. Yeah the 250 will do 70 on flat ground. One you hit a hill however, expect to lose 5-10mph depending on the incline.

Also while the bike stock can handle some basic gravel and easy unmaintained roads, if you end up trying to use it for rougher terrain, expect to have to spend another $1000 on suspension. The OEM rear shock is basically a pogo stick. At your weight it might not be terrible, though.
  8. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't recommend the 250 for you, look for at least a 450. Having said that I don't know if you will find anything new in that price range, look for S/H
  9. HpiRally

Oddometer:
    a 2018 bike I am considering has these modifications to it and is below my price point. In your experience, how much will these impact its performance in the areas you mention.

new gold oring chain
    full fmf exhaust q4 with spark arrestor
    ejk fuel controller
    air box mod
    comfort seat
    rear tail tidy

it also has a 13 and 14 tooth sprocket. Thanks a ton for your input. I appreciate your thoughts and experiences.
  10. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    A CRF250 would definitely work for you. Just understand the compromises.

PS at 6ft and 158lbs any talk of suspension issues will be irrelevant to you but you might want to pick up a sandwich somewhere.

The 250 Rally is a fantastic small adventure bike.

DSCN5726 (2).JPG

https://dualsportblog.wordpress.com/2018-telegraph-creek/
    rexbro likes this.
  11. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I think the 13T sprocket will make the biggest change, giving the bike the low end grunt back that was missing from the factory. And it doesn't reduce top speed significantly.

IMO the Q4 is really nothing but a noise maker. I got rid of mine, it was way too loud. Hopefully you also get the stock exhaust in case you don't like it.

The bike is worth trying, for sure. I really like mine, it's surprisingly excellent for the compromises. My big bike is a KTM 1290 Super Adventure, which I adore, so it should say something that I also really like this bike as well. It's no WR in performance, but what it lacks there it makes up for in utility, features and style.
    Swamper likes this.
  12. HpiRally

Oddometer:
    :rofl Sandwich eh!?

I am aware that it is not my GSA. I fully get that it is slow and not as refined. In the end I want a bike I can tool around on and ride backcountry roads/dirt into the mountain passes.
    mnwanders, RockyDS and okiegtrider like this.
  13. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    250 Rally fits that bill nicely.
  14. Yuri_Ivanovich

Yuri_Ivanovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had narrowed it down to CRF250L or KTM390 Adventure (new since nothing used was available) when a very nice 2 year old Rally came up for sale locally. It was priced out of my range but when it had been for sale for 3-4 weeks I made a low offer that was accepted. The point I'm trying to make is that what bike you should get really depends on what is available near you in your price range.
    If you're worried about lack of power the KTM390 is more obvious choice, and it has adjustable suspension (don't confuse adjustable with better but it's a nice extra).
    IMHO It's not worth it to spend big amounts of money to try to "tune" the Honda. You have stock about 24 hp and 170 kilos with rock solid running and reliability (low tune = low maintenance), plus fine handling on regular dirt roads (for healthy weight rider). If you spend 1000 extra you can drop 5 kilos and get 5% power increase. That gets you to 25 hp and 165 kilos, still with stock suspension. Spend another 1000 to upgrade the suspension to single track riding standards and you have a really nice single track bike. The Rally is a great bike for the price but if you really require more power and handling it would make more sense to me to use the upgrade money up front and start with a bike with a more power and better suspension.
    rexbro and RowBust like this.
  15. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    FWIW a 550Performance tune really adds some grunt back to the CRF, and it only costs ~$90-130 depending if you want custom. Definitely worth it IMO.
  16. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    The stock suspension is inadequate no matter what type of riding one does.
    rexbro and c21 like this.
  17. c21

c21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm..i don´t know why your Rally is that heavy but mine is at 152kg with a full tank and a few mods.
    If a Rally had 170kg i would not have bought one.
    PC5 or Power Vision 3 or 550Performance (for the US guys) release the "full perormance" , is worth the money and will free some power in the lower rpm where the CRF is way to lean on fuel (it´s so lean for emission purposes)
    Suspension upgrade F/R is a must except if you are at 55kg naked.
    Upgrade the Clutch to give a better clutch feel and free 0.5hp to the rear wheel and it´s a dead reliable but still abit heavy bike to cruise or train your enduro skills.
    I like my modded Rally but will switch if a more powerful and lighter bike (same style and reliable as the Rally) will be on the market for a reasonable price made in Japan or UK and not in India ;-)
    I don´t care if this will be a Honda, Yamaha , Kawasaki or Suzuki OR (with a really BIG) maybe a Triumph....
  18. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    And that includes simply riding it on the road in any form of spirited way. The dive under braking is dangerous, especially at night (where the hell did that bend just go to?). Someone described it as being 'plush' but when it bottoms out it is anything but. Budget for some simple suspension upgrades (£400 or equivalent will do fine) and take it from there.
  19. Yuri_Ivanovich

Yuri_Ivanovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Official Honda wet weight for mine is 157 kg with 90% full fuel tank. Non ABS are couple of kilos lighter. To that previous owner added lot of extras: Camel tank which is about 4 kilos, plus 5 liters of fuel or about 4.5 kilos. Scottoiler. Topbox. Upgraded suspension with remote adjustment. Bigger tires. Radiator cover. Heated grips. Total weight of mine with rider is almost 250 kilos ready to roll. That is before adding any luggage or camping equipment.
    Buying some cheap, rust through in few years, aftermarket exhaust (or Lithium battery that might leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere) in an effort to save couple of kilos,,. It might be worth it for you, it's not worth if for me. The easiest and cheapest way to lose weight from your bike is for the rider to lose weight.

In spite of the name this is not really a Rally bike and definitely not designed as a single trail bike. Those have twice the price and power, with 10 times the maintenance. You can call me old, I think that when you can't see the road in front of you it's a sign that you should slow down :gerg. You want to replace a low budget suspension with low budget suspension upgrades? It might be worth it for you, it's not worth if for me.
  20. Schroeder

Schroeder Schroeder

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately these don’t get out much so two have to go 67F51A0E-A7A3-4FA7-BA77-1536DC567D34.jpeg 024CEF3A-53B1-450E-99DC-CC05C30A3D89.jpeg
    Th0nda, randypower, rexbro and 2 others like this.