HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for making that call for me..

Yes, I'm trying to get a mid pipe to use with different exhaust cans (silencers)..

The knock-off exhaust cans on Ebay have an adapter part that works for link pipes or headers that are 38 to 51mm..

Another issue I have with these LexMoto link pipes is that they don't have tabs to secure springs onto.

Many exhaust cans require to be secured to the link pipe by spring...some use a clamp but most use springs...
  2. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Plenty of stuff online. However, you should consider taking some training. The island of Ireland must have excellent training with all the great roads...

What sort of confusion do you have? Brian
  3. Phmode

Oddometer:
    You can always use a clamp and bracket for the springs to attach to, in stainless of course. Or, get a local welder to spot the brackets onto the pipe.
  4. Th0nda

Th0nda Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll leave out the usual "the front brake lever is on the wrong side! Yes, I am from the continental Europe where we have rear brake lever on the right side (bicycles).

But brakes. Considering the lower weight of MTB, I was used to different stopping power and modulation. I was using one, in the worst case two fingers. I am reading this thread to narrow down selection of possible lever and pad replacements, but that won't be necessary till I start venturing off-road. But still, using foot for braking reminds me my childhood bicycle with coaster brake. Also, the rear brake has very long travel. It could be me not having a point of reference what it should be.

While riding MTB, I am the heaviest object and therefore carry most of the mass and momentum. That makes it easier to have the bike itself as "an interface" between me and the terrain. I can move, tilt, push, pull and jump the bike to optimise my body's trajectory over the terrain.
    On the motorbike, I am not the heaviest and I need to learn to work with the bike more, and with its long-travel suspension. The suspension itself is the interface and I need to move with the bike as the combined mass. For example, leaning motorbike means it will change direction. Also, it takes more effort to lean the bike, utilising both pegs and knees.

Suspension is amazing. I feel worried it makes me lazy. It just soaks up everything that appears in front of the bike. I don't feel the need to move forwards and backwards so much, and from the couple of obstacles I've conquered it feels that once I have my ar$$e further back, the Rally will just glide over everything (e.g. curbs, steps and speed bumps).

Regarding standing, I am used to stand on ball of my feet, aligned with the pedal axles that enables me the full range of movement. However, to brake and to shift gears, I need to move my feet forward and that upsets the balance. I bet it is only a technique that I need to learn, but the Rally is so lovely responsive to weight transfer, that I don't want to "fight" its movements with gripping handlebars.

Traction control and power delivery is obviously different. The direct feedback from pedals on a MTB is replaced by engine and suspension. And controls. This all creates delay and I need to learn the timing and expectation of my inputs till the tire bites into the terrain (or grips the road). Although the engine braking is a pleasant surprise.

Oh, and not to forget, wheelies. I can do wheelie on a MTB without any power (i.e. pedaling forward), to make going over holes or obstacles easy. I've learned by trying that I cannot do a wheelie on Rally by pulling on the handlebars. Ask my partner, she is laughing about that even now.

Be sure I'll be reading and watching as much as I can, while I use the coming winter for learning the basic bike controls and how to ride on a tarmac. That's why I have road biased tires on the Rally now. The Twist of the Wrist is already on my watchlist :1drink
    The Rally feels responsive and very capable, and I admire all of the riders here who post their adventures. The most off-road I managed so far was one inch of muck caused by tractors crossing a road.
    Phmode and Pilomajajo like this.
  5. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ThOnda
    My wife and I were in Ireland a few years ago. My current travel dream is to fly my motorcycle over there and tour for a few weeks. Phenomenal roads, phenomenal people, phenomenal country.

wicklows.jpg
    Th0nda likes this.
  6. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to have their tail section laying around and available?

CRF250L Tail.jpg
  7. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Oh no, what happened?
    Glenn247 likes this.
  8. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Forget it, it weighs more than you do. Hope the rest of the bike is OK...

Fit a tail tidy, it's cheaper, lighter and neater :-)
  9. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    It's necessary for the Camel Tank I'm installing..
  10. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Really? I'm sure some sort of wizard bracketry could be fashioned without the expense and weight of the ugly rear end.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  11. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fyi, Kriega tell me they're developing an OS Base for the 300.

[​IMG]
  12. Th0nda

Th0nda Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And 770 pages of this thread done. Ladies and gentlemen, you do like your Rallies and you don't mind making it "yours" to fit your own use. (Don't tell my boss.)
    The shopping list is growing. (Don't tell my partner.)

On that note, what is the situation with the Japanese ECUs? It seems I like the lower RPM sound when I ride (and shift) and I'll be happy to spend my lunch money on one of those.
    boboneleg, Pilomajajo and RockyDS like this.
  13. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Well done!
    We do!
    We don't!
    None available! Second hand perhaps, they do come up when folks sell their Rally and want their money back.
    Someone (wasn't paying attention, sorry) claimed to have found some recently. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to remind us all.
    Th0nda likes this.
  14. 8PSHT

8PSHT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jc21:

I might be willing to trade exhausts if the one you have slips right on to the header pipe clean. Is it the same one as SRC moto offers?
    https://www.srcmoto.com/collections...aust-slip-on-muffler-2017-2019-crf-250l-rally
  15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
  16. Brokenoldbiker

Brokenoldbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick question. But first...... I went out this morning to ride and the bike would not start and was doing some weird stuff on the dash and it had lights but they had a flicker of sorts, so as it is a 18 I figured battery. I rode it two days ago, but it was showing 10.2 volts, threw a charger on it for a while and it started right up. So.... no dealer close by and will order.

Are the lighter lithium batteries holding up, which do you prefer and where is the fastest place to order one from. Its fall here, colors are peaked, and the UP trip I was doing tomorrow with have to be in my Volvo, grumble, grumble. Thank you ladies and gentlemen!
  17. Pilomajajo

Pilomajajo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been using a Shido Lithium LTZ8V / YTZ8V, 12V|CCA:270A (113x69x105mm) for 1.5 years: zero issues, great weight saving.
    okiegtrider and Brokenoldbiker like this.
  18. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the UK have a link to a Steering head bearing kit (with seals) , I've tried the usual places but can't find anything ?
  19. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Any bearing supplier should be able to match the bearings if you give them the old bits Bob and there's plenty around if you google it.

The seals might have to be from a (lowers voice to a whisper) main dealer :(
    boboneleg likes this.
  20. oMMo

oMMo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bearings seem to be 4T-32005X type both. No idea on the seals.
    boboneleg likes this.