HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty time of the year to get out on my Rally. Just need to be aware of animals on the move. Moose rut is about this time of year and I'd hate to disturb a horny bull. :hide

20211006_134358.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Huebinator, rexbro and GlosBoy45 like this.
  2. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    I spotted a hedgehog on the move last night. Does that trump a couple of horny moose?
  3. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, if the hedgehog is anything like the rabbit in The Holy Grail, I'd say he's formidable, for sure. ; )
    GlosBoy45 and Th0nda like this.
  4. 8PSHT

8PSHT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For any of you YSS replacement shock users out there, the one I am finding is the mz456-420trl-05 model. The details say it is for the ABS model but that could be because the part comes from the UK and ABS is the only thing offered over there. Should this matter for installation on a 2018 non-ABS Rally? Me thinks not but tossing teh question out for the masses.
  5. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    pretty sure the rally is a 421mm eye to eye if that helps cant see abs making any difference tbo
    8PSHT likes this.
  6. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Mine (in UK) is the same part no apart from it has an 'X' on the end. We've had this discussion before but can't remember what the outcome was. Others in the US have fitted the YSS so someone will clarify the part no they used.

ABS or not, there is no difference to the back of the bike apart from to the brake. Shock will be the same.
    OB1UK and 8PSHT like this.
  7. kevinds

kevinds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the US ... ordered my YSS from Bikerz Bits (Bangkok, Thailand) ... MZ456-420TRL-05. On the box the part # is MZ456-420TRL-05-85 and the Batch: 210201-01. Installed on my 2018 (non-ABS) ... works great.
    8PSHT likes this.
  8. 8PSHT

8PSHT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the confidence inspiring replies thus far, feel free to keep'em coming.
  9. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today’s ramblings. This is the best bike ever for gunkholing . . . just exploring randomly to see where the little side roads go.
    IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
  10. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Yup! At least it is when the 'side' roads are as wide and accessible as yours. Here in UK we would kill for your fire roads and trails in wide open spaces. Almost all of the UK is off-limits to off-roaders unless it is tarmac.

The first time I took my Rally down a legally accessible green lane I was stuck for an hour trying to get it out of an unseen bog. OK, I shouldn't have gone down an unknown trail alone for the first time and certainly not late in an autumn afternoon. The Rally is a big bike to try to haul out of the mire alone and turning it round was impossible. Still we live and learn. Enjoy all your roads and keep the photos coming. Brian
    DocRogers likes this.
  11. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    'Off road' obviously means different things to folk. Here in Alberta, for example, most secondary roads are gravel but they're still roads. What a lot of Europeans seem to call 'off road' is just not on asphalt. Only our major highways and some secondary roads are asphalt. Hence someone posts a photo of his bike 'off road' and someone like me will comment 'That's not off road - that's a better road than the one I live on!'. Who said 'Separated by a common language'?

Here's my Rally on a road somewhere in the Rockies ...

DSCN6058.JPG

and this is off road.

DSCN5726 (3).JPG
    Attitudes are changing here though and environmental concerns are starting to impact our access to the wilderness, so who knows how much longer we'll be able to ride our fire roads and trails?
  12. Phmode

Oddometer:

Yes! Here in UK, every public road is tarmac, (apart from a very few sections of motorway/interstate which are concrete). Fire and logging roads in the forests are gravel but out of bounds to the public or with paid access for 'sightseers' and picnicking and then with 20mph speed limits. Almost all 'wilderness' in UK is owned by someone who doesn't want noisy cars and bikes (nor even, these days, harmless drones) polluting and destroying their land.
    Nearly all of this private land now has public access for walkers and some even allow cyclists.

We are restricted to riding on BOAT's, By-ways Open To All Traffic, by-ways being historic routes used for such things as sheep and cattle droving and foot and cart access between smaller centres of habitation before the advent of modern road building. There was a cull of these by-ways a few years ago whereby local authorities had to opt to keep them and many did not and so they became merely footpaths. The county of Hereford where I now live, has about 5 miles of BOAT's in lots of small sections so nothing worth getting in a sweat about. Berkshire, where I used to live had many miles and led across downland and out on to Salisbury plain, but you risk getting shot by a main battle tank if you ride there and ignore the red flags...

To put the UK (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales) into context for our colonial cousins who may not have been here, I found this comparison chart online

11 U.S. States That Are Larger Than the UK
    1. Alaska is equal to 7.05 UKs
    2. Texas is equal to 2.86 UKs
    3. California is equal to 1.74 UKs
    4. Montana is equal to 1.56 UKs
    5. New Mexico is equal to 1.29 UKs
    6. Arizona is equal to 1.21 UKs
    7. Nevada is equal to 1.17 UKs
    8. Colorado is equal to 1.11 UKs
    9. Oregon is equal to 1.04 UKs
    10. Wyoming is equal to 1.03 UKs
    11. Michigan is equal to 1.03 UKs

And the remaining 39

Minnesota is equal to 0.92 UKs
    Utah is equal to 0.90 UKs
    Idaho is equal to 0.89 UKs
    Kansas is equal to 0.87 UKs
    Nebraska is equal to 0.82 UKs
    South Dakota is equal to 0.82 UKs
    Washington is equal to 0.75 UKs
    North Dakota is equal to 0.75 UKs
    Oklahoma is equal to 0.74 UKs
    Missouri is equal to 0.74 UKs
    Florida is equal to 0.70 UKs
    Wisconsin is equal to 0.70 UKs
    Georgia is equal to 0.63 UKs
    Illinois is equal to 0.62 UKs
    Iowa is equal to 0.60 UKs
    New York is equal to 0.58 UKs
    North Carolina is equal to 0.57 UKs
    Arkansas is equal to 0.57 UKs
    Alabama is equal to 0.56 UKs
    Louisiana is equal to 0.56 UKs
    Mississippi is equal to 0.51 UKs
    Pennsylvania is equal to 0.49 UKs
    Ohio is equal to 0.47 UKs
    Virginia is equal to 0.45 UKs
    Tennessee is equal to 0.45 UKs
    Kentucky is equal to 0.43 UKs
    Indiana is equal to 0.39 UKs
    Maine is equal to 0.38 UKs
    South Carolina is equal to 0.34 UKs
    West Virginia is equal to 0.26 UKs
    Maryland is equal to 0.13 UKs
    Hawaii is equal to 0.11 UKs
    Massachusetts is equal to 0.11 UKs
    New Hampshire is equal to 0.10 UKs
    Vermont is equal to 0.10 UKs
    New Jersey is equal to 0.09 UKs
    Connecticut is equal to 0.06 UKs
    Delaware is equal to 0.03 UKs
    Rhode Island is equal to 0.02 UKs

And don't even get me started on Canada...

4DCBAAB8-8DE2-4133-B498-D92AA2A4F544.png

Go ride and enjoy. Brian
    GlosBoy45, okiegtrider and RockyDS like this.
  13. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luckily here in Oz we've still got lots of open country, outside the cities that is
  14. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    I have some relatives in the UK and I found it interesting to point out to them that the Province of Alberta is about 3 x the size of the UK. What that means is, when I walk down the main street of my local town and see a single person coming the other way, in a similar town in the UK there would be 70 people coming the other way. Similarly, it wouldn't be just me, I'd be a gang of 70 people. My math may not be perfect but you get the idea.
    GlosBoy45 and Phmode like this.
  15. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    uk is totally underestemated .....1000 of miles of byways thousands of mils of single track tar spectacular countryside ..stunning coaslines ..plus great pubs with a bed to eat drink tell tale of daring doo
    ..very very easy to make a weeks good riding with some big question mark trails thrown in a dozen river crossings from easy to scetchy to terrafying if yer brave ...or daft enough ?
    all without going outside of a 120 mile radius of my humble abode ... you just have to plan well and the rewards are spectacular imho .... big bonus is being a northeren boy .......you just need the routes tbo ..its out there for sure

done few coast to coasts whitby to ravengalass tenby to anglysea and them 150 mile s routes take a solid 5 nights if you like to eat and drink ..stop rest and admire like anormal person
    ..last whitby attempt stopped 50 miles short with a burnt clutch and broken coller bone on day three .. i could make our house from whitby in 3.5 hours on te main roads say four nights would be about right if you dont get tired :hmmmmm ..... you will sleep for sure at the end of the day .......

[​IMG]
  16. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    heres a track brian highlighted in dark maginta ...total length of this track is over 800 miles plus there are many offshoots and sub trails not shown ..to give you a idea the red track is a pretty long solid days trail riding 8 or 9 hours so pleanty to go at ... if you ever want to meet up for a few days riding give me a shout ...both retired just pick a decent forcast and we could do a bit ...if you want the track gpx file give me a pm

[​IMG]staying emotionally strong
    OB1UK, rexbro and Phmode like this.
  17. OB1UK

OB1UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @minky: I envy you living in the North West: down here in Suffolk there’s less than 10 miles of lanes. We have to head up to Norfolk’s Thetford Forest some 40 miles away.
  18. Phmode

Oddometer:
    So, pootling around in the garage yesterday, the way you do, I came across the OEM IRC inner tube from my spare rear wheel (which I converted to tubeless) sitting on a shelf.

This is what it looked like after being there for two years during Covid...

EB0D23F0-52F3-4555-BB5B-273C1737C928.jpeg 9E48CD8B-E597-40A9-A649-53F024BF9CD2.jpeg

Now, I know I live out in the sticks and probably have mice everywhere, but I don't think they were responsible.

The thought of what state the one in the rear wheel I am riding on is in, doesn't bear thinking about :hmmmmm
  19. inpreda

inpreda n00b

Oddometer:
    I am the owner of inpreda, if you need any help please let me know.
    I have tens of accessories for crf250, I can give extra discount for advriders :)
    okiegtrider and Phmode like this.
  20. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes theres pleanty to go at ..you have to link the lanes ..but time wise your more likly to be more off road than on ..if you want a guided tour sometime give me a shout always up for a ride out ... 3 day ride 50/50 lakes and northuberland doent touch much more than 15 percent of that route

Dessert Storm, OB1UK and inpreda like this.