HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Tubes do that in about a year. I opened up my spare tube case and mine were like that too, trash
  2. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    So right! Utter trash!
  3. Yuri_Ivanovich

Yuri_Ivanovich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This can be "prevented" by storing the tubes in airtight container and prevent (sun)light from reaching them.
    rexbro and Phmode like this.
  4. Th0nda

Th0nda Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrived!

Attached Files:

5. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Mine were new wrapped in a air-tight plastic bag stored in my flat fix/tool bag. SAM_6777.JPG They were taking out of the bag to use during a tire change about 12-14 months later and they where rotted and cracked were they had been folded. Unusable
    GlosBoy45 likes this.
  6. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Yup. 5#/+€? Utter 5#/+€!
  7. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Global shortages! What global shortages?

So, following Steve's (@minkyhead) very kind invitation to sell my soul and visit Yorkshire for a few days of off-road heaven, I decided that I needed something slightly (or even much) better than the IRC Ditchfinder Specials wrapped around the Rally's wheels.

Steve recommended (after much persuasion) a pair of Pirelli MT 21's.

Wheelhouse Tyres, Birmingham - Guy fell about in a fit of giggles and suggested I rang back in the new year...
    Micheldever Tyres (Protyre Group) - I can get the rear by next Tuesday. The front will will be at least December...
    Blackcircles - We don't have ANY tyres for your bike...
    Mytyres - T'internet says they have stock but won't let me order. Try the phone, answerphone rings forever...
    Local bike shop - Pirelli? And then falls about laughing...

I call Steve. Plan B...

I get a front E13 (not EO9 as I first wrote :-)) but they have no tubes. In ANY size... The tyre is in the post...
    I find a Motoz Rear AND A TUBE from another supplier and agree to pay ANY price. They are in the post...

I pop into my other local bike shop who, amazingly, is actually open and even more amazingly, has a front tube. We got loads of tubes. I'll swap you for a couple of spark plugs he quips. Spark plugs? Yup! Global shortage he replies. Can't get spark plugs for love nor money...

The major supermarkets in the UK are like 3rd world shanty town shops, shelves half empty and no cabages, cucumbers, inner tubes or spark plugs...

We left the EU so all the Polish and other eastern european workers went home 'because we don't want you filthy immigrants taking all our jobs' and now the fruit is rotting on the trees and the veg rotting in the ground because Brits are too 'proud' to do such menial (but vital) jobs.

Last week it was panic buying at the gas stations. Plenty of fuel but no drivers to deliver it to the pumps so queues half way round the nation to 'top off me tank' just in case.

Away for the weekend and the lady friend is desperately in need of new gas hob. Can't buy a decent one for any money. Ditto dish-washers. Of course, that's the global chip shortage. Chip shortage? Yes madam, all our dishwashers are now app controlled.................

The world's going daft.

Still, as long as the couriers still have drivers, I might have new tyres this time next week. Brian
    GlosBoy45, Th0nda and kevinds like this.
  8. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    The double whammy, the brexiteers didn't see this coming. In Australia we have the covid tax, prices going through the roof, price gouging is rampant, house prices are increasing over 30%/annum
  9. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Without trespassing into the forbidden territory of sex, religion or politics, the Brexiteers didn't see anything coming.

Sold a pup by the politicians on the basis of keeping the bloody foreigners out (those same foreigners who kept the country running) and giving £350,000,000 a day to the NHS. Now we are begging the bloody foreigners to come back and get the abattoirs open and the trucks running again. It's too late for the fruit and veg harvests and why would the diligent and extremely hard working eastern europeans come back to help out the country who told them we didn't 'want' them here, just because we now realise we 'need' them here.

Brits are too idle and 'aloof' to do menial jobs like farm and food industry work. Too much like hard work for their lily white hands and not glamorous enough for their fragile egos.

Rant over :dirtdog
    OB1UK, Th0nda, RockyDS and 1 other person like this.
  10. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Were they OEM ones?

I've never known tubes go off before. I have off-cuts of old bicycle, car and truck tubes which must be 20 years old and the materials are still like new. I use them for making odd 'gaskets' and weird rubbery stuff in the workshop.
    Yuri_Ivanovich likes this.
  11. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I bought them from my dealer for my Continental Divide ride tire emergency kit (F&R). Didn't take them out to use them for over a year and when I did they where rotted. Pretty sure they were IRC, standard.
  12. 8PSHT

8PSHT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody care to chime in on positive experiences with a hand guard brand for stock handlebars? I tried fitting barkbusters but they seem pretty hampered to fit with teh crossbar on the stock handlebars. Suggestions?
  13. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a set of Acerbis Rally Pro on my bike a couple months ago. No drama on the install.
    8PSHT likes this.
  14. Swamper

Oddometer:
  15. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    You live in the wrong part of the country Brian, there are at least 30 lanes that I can ride within a 20 mile radius of my house and if I go a bit further Wiltshire is like a playground.

IMG_7737.jpeg
  16. Phmode

Oddometer:
    You are soooo right Bob. I lived in Newbury when I first decided to venture off-road and before that I lived on the edge of Salisbury Plain at Everleigh, so I know what I am missing.

The move to Hereford was all planned but then the purchase started to fall through so I bought a big KTM rat-bike and went out on the chalk downs, like riding on tarmac in the dry.

Then the purchase was back on and that's when I realised that Herefordshire was an off-road desert. I have some stunning tarmac for the big bike and the car and of course the Welsh windies are easy on in a day's ride with either one and I do love my twisty tarmac.

Those of us with virtually nowt just resent the rest of you when I have 7 kilometers, the longest bit of which is 1km long :(
  17. Phmode

Oddometer:
    I fitted my Barkbusters to the stock bars before upgrading to Renthals. The trick is to fit the inner mount clamp bolts upside down. Not as neat as the right way up but they go on perfectly.

However, my advice would be to dump the stock bars which are made of cheese and will fold in a drop. Invest in a decent set of Renthals or whatever. The Barkbusters will still fit (easier as it turns out) even if you go for 22mm, which I didn't but wish I had.

The Rally is a compromise in a few areas such as suspension, tyres and bars along with the butterfly deflectors. Treat it to some nice bits and it will love you forever. Brian
  18. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    For you guys with rotting inner tubes this is what I do to prevent it.

First buy some resealable (zip-lock) bags and pinch (borrow) some of your wife's talcum powder. Poor a decent amount of talc in the bag, then place your chosen inner tube inside. Fold the bag slightly and then give it a good old shake so that the tube gets covered in talc. Expel all the air and then seal the bag.

That's it, job done. I have been doing this for years and never had a tube rot, plus it prevents the tube from rubbing and potentially causing a hole when being carried on your bike.

IMG_0225.JPEG
    IMG_0226.JPEG
    IMG_0227.JPEG
    Samanjo, Phmode, GlosBoy45 and 2 others like this.
  19. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Following on from post https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-crf250-rally-owners.1212233/page-773#post-43155084

In preparation for the visit to God's Country next week, I ditched the dreaded Ditchfinders (©️#minkyhead) and fitted a Mitas E13 front in 90/90 21 and a Motoz rear in 120/90 18.

This obviously increased the ride height, in my case, with the YSS rear shock and the K-Tech front spring, from a semi-teetering 925mm (36.5") to an 'ohmigod' 938mm (36 15/16" - call it 37" between friends).

OK. This was the point at which my not-exactly-short 33" inseams were crying enough and radical suspension adjustment was called for. It is perfectly OK on tarmac, but stopping on gravel or a bit of bumpy stuff and gravity would be the dominant force affecting the bike.

The rear isn't really radical, just a pain in the butt as the YSS has to be removed to wind in the top eye. I had 4.5mm (3/16") of thread available and not wanting to be whipping it in and out all day long, I would it right in, locked off the nut and refitted it.

This gave me a change in rear ride height (measured from the axle bolt) of -15mm; not as much as I expected, but all there was available.

At the front, the decision was easy, drop the triple clamps down the forks by the same amount and that only needed the clamp bolts loosening to make the adjustment.

And now, with both ends of the bike down by 15mm (almost 19/32") it was time to check the static seat height.

It had come back down to 920mm (36 7/32" give or take 1/127th of an inch...), so 18mm down. Don't ask why it wasn't 15 overall, I only twiddle the spanner, I don't do the math(s).

So I gained (or lost) 5mm (1/4") from where I started.

The bike feels better at a standstill but I will let you know later how it behaves on the rough stuff. Brian
    Pilomajajo likes this.
  20. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which Motoz rear did you go with? I’ve been thinking about trying them.