HONDA CRF250 RALLY OWNERS

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ferdiepick, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Phmode

Phmode Most of the gear, little idea!

Oddometer:
    Motoz Tractionator Rall Z TRXR 120/90-18 74R. I'm running it tubeless in my siliconed spare rear wheel.

It is VERY narrow across the beads and needed a ratchet strap around it to get it to inflate, but was easier to fit than I expected.
  2. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on how that tire performs for you. That’s the tire I’ve been considering - won’t be running tubeless though. :ricky
  3. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Took the bike out this afternoon in the rain. 2 miles into town to fill the tank ready for the off tomorrow.

It was like riding on ice. On slicks. My mate wot was a junior MX champ in his day warned me of the danger of new knobblies. I'm sure they'll soon bed in on the motorway north, but more rain is forecast. Must pack more undies methinks :-)
  4. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    tried these ealy this year and all in all they have been pretty decent on and off road ..a bit noisy maby but not mental and a pretty acceptable wear rate ..good drive i general trail conditions and deal with mud quite well too ..handle tar ok when bedded in and clear reasonable well in softer going ..i tried the fronts on the t7 and was not at all happy with them but the rear coped pretty well with the power so i thought id try the rears on the crfs this year ...ive toured on them and for a pretty aggresive tyre have no complaints .....i have taken one off at around 4k but as always theres still a lot of dry miles left in it with around 5mm tread remaining id be quite happy to run it if i lived somewhere dryer with much less slop its not ill handling at all at5mm its just simply short of block for winter trails .... overallquite happy with it for duel sport so ive fitted another ..... prefer a different front though not enough wet grip off road for my liking ....but ive ridden some pretty scetchy trails on the rear and its done well i think ..surprised me on the yamaha absoluly ripped throgh a verry muddy day ..quite suprising tbo but the front was like fitting a ski ... tough call tyres hope that helps a bit
    me mate has been trying the trials type motoz tyre on his swm ...havnt seen him since but will in wales next weekend ..must ask him how he got on longer term probably a good tyre for welsh slate id think
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    GlosBoy45 and rexbro like this.
  5. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :scratch Hunting for a short circuit….:hmmmmm
    upload_2021-10-25_17-42-21.jpeg
  6. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making progress…
    upload_2021-10-25_17-58-59.jpeg

Putting a fuse block in next instead of having everything connected to the battery with inline fuses.
    upload_2021-10-25_18-1-21.jpeg
    Phmode, boboneleg, randypower and 2 others like this.
  7. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m also doing some fork maintenance as my right fork seal has been weeping for quite a while. After disassembly I see the hard anodizing has worn off in a small area on the inside of the outer leg. This in turn caused some galling with metal flakes embedded in the slider bushings. The metal flakes also caused some longitudinal scratches on the inner slider pipe causing the seal failure. I was able to polish the inner leg scratches mostly out.
    I have all of the bushings and seals to repair the fork but am reluctant to spend $300usd for a new stock outer fork tube. At this point I’ll probably just polish up the galled area, replace the seals/bushings and rotate the fork tube 90deg when installing fork leg. I couldn’t get a pic of the galling.
    upload_2021-10-26_6-36-25.jpeg
    The left fork leg is in excellent shape with no signs of oil egress so I’m just changing the oil for now.

edit to add pic of worn anodizing and galling - it’ll last awhile but I’m looking for a replacement outer right fork tube (used) if anyone has a stock Rally fork they’re not using.
    upload_2021-10-26_9-23-2.jpeg
  8. Heavy

Heavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles are you at now?
  9. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost 56k now - I’m riding my Fe350 while the Rally gets it’s repairs and maintenance. :ricky
    upload_2021-10-26_7-38-24.jpeg
    Phmode and boboneleg like this.
  10. northumbrian

northumbrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After riding part of the northern Uk TET , and losing front grip on numerous occasions allowing me to face plant the undergrowth….. thought it time to ditch the stock IRC’s ( in fairness there pretty good in the dry, but mud is a different story.)
    So, popped into town and returned with a pair of Michelin Trackers ( 90/90-21 and 100/100-18) fitted them and they look good, …… will let you know how they perform !
    boboneleg and okiegtrider like this.
  11. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Turns out this combination was excellent. I have nothing to compare them with other than the Ditchfinders (©️ #minkyhead) but they gave nothing but great service.

They were soon cleaned off as they warmed up and although the trip north was an horrendous grind through gridlocked motorways and even side roads through the midlands as far north as Warrington, the return journey in warm(ish) and dry conditions was one long high speed blat along the lovely, winding A49. The tyres gave amazing grip on the Rally and I had not one single issue with them. High speed stops, were really confidence inspiring and I doubt anyone would complain about either. They do tram-line (don't know the 'murrican equivalent term, but you have trams in SF so I guess you understand) over white lines and longitudinal broken tarmac and the bike shook its head occasionally at max speed, although this could be a function of the lifted forks. Bear in mind minky's comments about the front Motoz though.

Speeds were a consistent 75-80 mph (on the sat nav, 78-83 on the speedo and with a bit of a tail wind at times) on the motorway and that put me in the outside lane for most of the traffic free bits. Head winds soon knock the stuffing out of the little 250 machine whereas my road bike would barely notice them.

To be honest, by the time I got back onto local roads I couldn't quite believe how well the knobblies were performing and how much confidence they gave me. Happy days...
    GlosBoy45, Pilomajajo and rexbro like this.
  12. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback - good to hear they’re working out for you. It’ll be interesting to see how they hold up on the tarmac. I probably going to try them out soon on my Fe. :ricky
  13. GlosBoy45

GlosBoy45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian,
    Lets see some photos from your trip :)
  14. Phmode

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the UK who may be looking for a new sat nag (so, that'll be me then), Bennett's insurance has a great discount deal on the Garmin Zumo XT.

For those who get bombarded with Bennett's promo bumph and glance at the silly offer of 15% off a glove mounted visor wash/wipe system (honestly) and then bin the mail, don't.

I laughed at the wash/wipe thingy and just happened to scroll down to see '25% off with Garmin'. Yeah, right!

Followed the link and sure enough a Garmin Zumo XT with full Euro maps and the whole shooting match for £93 less than Sportsbikeshop's cheapest UK price of £365 as opposed to the rrp of £430 less a penny...

Happy days. Apart from the fact that I hate the latest Garmin more than I hate the TomTom that I couldn't even put a destination into last week. But at least the TomTom tells you which exit you need on the upcoming roundabout as opposed to Garmin telling you on the second time round ...

As my Zumo 660 is now so old and creaky and the latest map update so bloated and cumbersome the poor thing can just about manage to speak directions and warn me of speed cameras but not actually show me the route ahead for more than 5% of the time, a new, quite cheap Zumo XT is now winging its weary way to my gaff.

The Zumo is discounted on the Garmin site but not as much as with the Bennett's link. If anyone wants to try to blag their way to a bargain, let me know and I'll pm the link. Brian
  15. Th0nda

Th0nda Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another Noob Question: Before getting back on the bike (stupid knee), I wanted to check the tire pressure. However, I cannot find it neither on the web nor on the tire itself. I must be blind.
    Could point me in direction for pressure chart for Metzler Tourance tires?
  16. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would start with the recommended pressures in the owner’s manual for the bike. Adjust accordingly for road/trail conditions, loaded weight, and personal preference. I think tire pressures are listed on the chain guard too.
    I’m currently running 26psi front and 27 rear on Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. My total bike weight is #375 ready to roll and I’m ~175 atgatt. :ricky
    Edit - Do you have a Tourance on the rear? I don’t see an 18” version of that tire available here.
  17. Th0nda

Th0nda Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a mix, Tourance at the front, and Roadtec at the rear. I'll be on road over the winter only. My 33psi on both ends might be a bit too much then.
  18. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the tire info from the service manual if that’s helpful. I prefer a higher cold psi than the recommended 22psi though.
    upload_2021-10-31_8-49-15.jpeg
    Th0nda likes this.
  19. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I'd bump them up 3-5 pounds from the factory spec, you've got street tires.
    Th0nda likes this.
  20. Phmode

Oddometer:
    ...whereas I would run them at 1.5/1.5 solo. Simples!