1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    As a new owner with first hand experience in owning the CRF450L this is a thread for bike related experiences and mods not a I read it on the interweb or I saw a video fluffy stuff but for people that actually ride one. It’s MEGA because after riding one this thread will get huge.
    B5F5BD9A-4F41-470D-B30D-7E2027972298.jpeg
  2. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But does it Wheelie? Hows the Power?
    How is the Suspension?
    Short or Wide ratio transmission?
    Any idea of MPG ish?
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  3. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Well I’m only hours in as being an owner and slept part of that but I did see it has a fuel computer on the speedo
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  4. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry

Oddometer:
    The seat looks a bit high for the rider.......
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  5. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I still need to go over the bike check the suspension clickers get the bars in a better position etc. more to come…
  6. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Don’t worry my boots are getting thicker soles as I type this and you won’t notice because of the roost I will be throwing your way.
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  7. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I think you might have waited a bit too long before pulling the trigger. :lol3

Sean :D
    ACR, PlowHand, Ginger Beard and 10 others like this.
  8. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Going keen to hear you're thoughts. One question before you start.

Are you a Dirt Bike rider getting into a dual sport to connect trails? Or are you an adv rider looking at a dirt worthy light ADV bike? Or a cruise around town during the week get to spend some time in the dirt on the weekend and ride home again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. minkyhead

minkyhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    looking a bit drawn and thin buddy ..you should eat more ....

bike looks ace
    Xiola_Blue, Dirtleg and Bitingdog like this.
  10. EffDuh

EffDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All. just picked up mine this morning and now have 100+ miles on it. I'll give my thoughts on the bike if anyone is interested. I started riding again when my kids all moved out. I put about 20,000 miles on a WR250R, which is the only modern bike I can compare it to. The Honda is a slightly smaller bike all around than the Yamaha, which surprised me. Not by much, but it was noticeable to me. The handling on the road is identical to the WR. It is a good neutral handling bike that feels stable and planted. The engine makes substantially more power. It effortlessly cruises at 60 through any of the steep hills around. I took it to 70mph a couple times and it felt good there also. Vibration is about the same as the WR, just different. It feel like a lower frequency and stronger if that makes sense. After riding 100 miles my hands didn't tingle. It is as quiet as the WR. I ride primarily tight wood trails. On the trails the Honda feels a bit lighter and definitely will lift the front wheel much easier. It takes a little more focus on the throttle than I'm used to because of the higher power output. I have never drove a KTM or DR400 so I can't compare to those. There is not a lot of room on the handlebars to mount things (gps) because of the cross-brace. I think my gps will fit on the right side. I can flat foot the bike, which I couldn't do on the WR. I think the narrower seat makes that difference. After 100 miles the seat felt hard. The only thing that i don't like on the bike so far is the reflectors on the front forks. They are mounted facing forward and catch leaves and other green. The footpegs are wide and feel comfortable although they are a little closer to the seat than the WR. I haven't taken anything apart, so I don't know how easy it is to work on. I put my wolfman fork bag on it and plan to mount a gps. The only definite modification will be handguards. If a nice aftermarket tank comes out, that could find its way on there to. I have a lot of riding to do before the winter comes.
    Maggot12, Sirploppy, levain and 15 others like this.
  11. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    So far we are on par I noticed the size difference too it's just slight but it feels more dirt bikeish in size
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  12. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    For me I'm using it as a dirt bike with some errands thrown in and to ride trails that need street legal plates. I've been riding since I was 4 (52 now) but I do like to do long desert rides and wander around with some day tripper saddle bags and see what I find or single track in the trees. I'm coming of a well sorted WR250r that if it only had a bit more bottom end I would have kept it and just sold my wife's that was the carbon copy of mine. I sold mine to get a KTM 350exc but sold it after 1100 miles because I wasn't impressed for the price in the quality and power over the WR plus is was a maintenance whore. So far in the few miles I have put on its on track to be the bike I was hoping it would be but time will tell.
    Maggot12, Mr Head, PlowHand and 5 others like this.
  13. flo10

flo10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also coming from a WR250R and noticed the same things. Haven't been able to take it out for a proper ride yet; however, the short ride I did have made it very clear this is going to be a lot of fun.

Attached Files:

ACR, BobcatSig, Dirtleg and 3 others like this.
  14. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, the posts at this point seems to explain all the WR250Rs in the flea market! So subscribing to this thread to follow you real owners so you can influence my spring decision. Trying not to derail, but how many of you were riding uncorked WRs?
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  15. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Took a good hour long test ride today--------and boy did Honda do their homework on this bike.
    I gave it a workout and everything is top notch-------would have suited me to a tee 20 years ago or longer.
    But alas----at 67 years old and deteriorating skills---------I had to admit the bike was way over my head.
    The throttle response was just flat overwhelming and I knew I'd be bucked off in a minute if riding some technical stuff----------or mud. It would have wore me out quickly. The throttle was super snatchy.

This coming from a guy who still has 2 KTM's----------a 690 and 350EXCF.

I had cash in hand and knew I'd come home with it---and the dealer I knew very well knew I'd buy it too.
    Oh I came home alright with a new Honda------------but not the 450.
    It's a good thing when you realize you need to back off---------and I backed off.

BigDog
    JohnE65c, ACR, mikeysduck and 13 others like this.
  16. Pinky

Pinky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a teaser. Very interested in what you came home with...

PS- Ive read through your 690 build on your website multiple times while setting up my 690 the past few weeks.
  17. EffDuh

EffDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had my WR with all the power mods for a while, but then went back to stock because sound is a factor in some of my riding spots. I was running 13 / 47 gearing. I argued with myself about keeping the WR and putting a big bore or buying the CRF. So far, I am very happy with the Honda. I like to ride dirt and only get on roads to find more trails. The extra power makes the road pieces so much nicer. Lifting the front wheel without planning it out on the trails is nice also.
    Jollyrogers likes this.
  18. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Came home with what most of you would call a "girly" bike------------250 rally.
    It's exactly where I'm at in my motorcycle life.
    shinyribs, JohnE65c, TaZ9 and 29 others like this.
  19. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread needs more pics!
    breakm likes this.
  20. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Needs less Rally. :deal

Sean :D
    Dirtleg, V2Neal, Navin and 2 others like this.