HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Hopefully those other threads quickly die off.
    JohnE65c, a_ron, AceE and 4 others like this.
  2. nomuff2tough

nomuff2tough rocks&roots

Oddometer:
    we all get here some quicker than others, lol.
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  3. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Mark, good to hear from you aren't you glad there is no cure for this sickness we have.
    What color rally did you end up with?
  4. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next yr my rmd has a specific use!
  5. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Epic left of centre photo to start off a thread. Bravo!
    jonnyc21 and Dakotarider like this.
  6. 2WheelNeal

2WheelNeal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not at all. I'll keep my 26K valve adjustments and 3K oil changes as recommended by Yamaha. :deal

Call me lazy, but 600mi oil cahnges and 1800 mile valve checks seem whoreish. Good luck and enjoy the new bike! :beer
  7. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    It’s all good after having the WR since it came out #23 off the line it was time to move on I just want more torque and besides 1800 is more than double of what I got out of the KTM and the quality of the electrical connectors was piss poor not even sealed plugs that corroded the wires behind the headlight looked like a birds nest so it was more than just the maintenance hopefully I don’t have to lay this bike on it’s side like the KTM manual says to put oil in the filter hole.
    NEPA 450x, jonnyc21 and enduro16 like this.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    love to see more feedback from new owners

pics too....:ricky

:lurk
    Davethestick and larryboy like this.
  9. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok so got to ride for a bit today adjusted the suspension clickers to the standard settings they were all different so make sure to do it before you go too far. I also figured out the fuel computer on the display says I was getting 53 mpg I rode the local canyon mostly just to let the engine spin without too much load at 55 mph in 6th gear the throttle about 1/4-1/2 turn it just cruises along but roll the throttle on and it’s a deceiving increase in speed because of the lack of noise from the exhaust but that speedo is going up quick. So I have a little secret trail I rode to as the rain was starting to move in so I only rode a short distance but I found too that the reflectors need to go they catch little branches and pull the bars but it spins the tire and lofts the front wheel fairly easy. The suspension on the standard settings was ok for break in but it will need a bit of fine tuning once it settles in I set the race sag for off-road per the owners manual which I really like its a small service manual rather than a typical owners manual. 814C1D1A-C8E2-48F8-8992-8F08E5BB0E55.jpeg
    These branch catchers gotta go
    BA04AF69-BD01-42EA-98AC-0EB4A8CBADDE.jpeg
    And I’m not sure about the plate holder yet as how to make it a bit more tidy and keep the plate light it’s made from aluminum
    304BF5F3-4E82-4A20-978D-B95664A1783A.jpeg
    jonnyc21, Xiola_Blue, 2on2off and 6 others like this.
  10. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    So some of the differences I did notice as my bike was sitting next to the X and R model was the cooling system the L has a radiator fan so on the side of the head it has a thermostat and fan switch it’s kinda big and asking for a rock to take it out the water pump is bigger too and sticks out with a strange aluminum thing on it the X and R just has a tube at the water pump here is a pic of what I am talking about
    ECF942E5-1B5A-40FE-8D7A-E56C20059BBB.jpeg 52208360-F988-4ADF-8A8C-A7CB3C30EDBA.jpeg
    Also the L has a reservoir bottle behind the engine skid plate with a slit low on the front to see the level the X and R just have a tube that lets it piss on the ground so it must be a epa thing for the street
    037D4A38-9DC6-440B-9BA0-13155387CF8F.jpeg

3B905E41-5DA6-494F-9494-80DAF0C151D0.jpeg
    jonnyc21, OroDas, Xiola_Blue and 7 others like this.
  11. Engineer5

Engineer5 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Keep the reports coming in. How does the fuel programming seem so far?
    Davethestick likes this.
  12. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I really wish Honda put a sight gauge on the sidecase instead of a dip stick to check the oil seems in this day and age they would have made that happen just less chance of dirt getting in. Just a thought...
  13. GeneralClortho

GeneralClortho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, thanks to those handing out real world information and taking pics.

I loved my uncorked CRF250L but got so board of it, I sold recently it for all the reasons that this bike appears to address. I wanted more power, more of a dirt bike feel, better suspension, etc... but accepted it for a while because of the cost of operation was practically nothing, and the little dude was bomb proof. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I was riding a bike for the love of riding a bike, and I was flat board in the saddle. I would get I wild hair at a stop sign, twist the wrist, feather the clutch in a fury of sound...and end up with a sigh of disappointment at the lethargic result and my mind would drift back to my 2 stroke CR250 back in the 90's or my KTM300EX 15 years ago. :viking

T minus 4 months to income tax return...
  14. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Fueling, it’s lean for sure but thats EPA it has that lean smell too or it could be the cat burning anything extra and the throttle being snatchy a little kinda goes with latest experiences with modern bikes but cranking the throttle the short times I have you wouldn’t know it also I did notice the headpipe being purple/blue which says it’s getting good fuel otherwise it would be more of a golden/brow color it does have the deaccel pops so they have no fuel going in at zero throttle I know on Harley’s you adjust a programmer to have a bit of fuel in the zero throttle position to cool the pipe on deaccell.
    But I’m yet to pin it off the line until I get a few more miles on her then I can really tell you what’s going on with the bike all the way around when I can ride it like I stole it
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  15. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok that’s funny after my little trail ride my wife asked well is this bike it? The answer you have been looking for? I told her the jury is still out but I think it’s the closest I have come it feels like my Cr250 you use to watch me throw around on the track just with a little more weight to it both the bike and me.
  16. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok the branch grabbing reflectors removed
    D81A013E-AC0D-4CA4-B84C-C50B5BDEBCB1.jpeg
    Incase your needing a quick reference here is the torque to put it back together remember when you reach torque on one bolt keep going back and forth until both are at spec because one will loosen as the other tightens
    BAFE04BF-024B-4A1E-8D8F-77CAEFB24E15.jpeg
  17. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Paging @mxbundy i need a seat my ass hurts :kator maybe that's the cost of this bike I'm feeling.:imaposer
    Bundy im in need of yet another seat are they ready yet what choices are we going to have?
    I have been using Seat Concepts seats on all my bikes for years I can't say enough about the company and the quality and comfort of there seats, they use to be fairly local to me but now they have moved to Idaho
    Hopefully things are moving along and they have something in the works so I can install it and review it for you all
  18. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the owners thread. :norton

19. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Well lookie there where did ya find that? thanks for the info
  20. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok so I started pulling the rear apart to come up with a mod to eliminate the ginormous plate holder
    Here is what I got so far
    897D9F58-61E4-40DC-96B7-BA9AC182944A.jpeg
    Why did we need to make this so complicated
    693FB6F3-C667-4CFE-B2AE-1D9D58C66CB6.jpeg
    This is where I want the plate to sit and get rid of the trailer hitch reflector holder good thing is once you remove the plate light shroud the light is little so going to reuse it just to keep it as legal as possible so when I get pulled over for making deep rutts in the grass at the local park they won’t write me up for that too
    Yes I’m a 52 year old man child hooligan
    6jl3br0n, jonnyc21, CJohn and 4 others like this.