HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Too right. I'd rather damage some rims rather than damage myself. That applies to the whole bike. Last ride I was at 9/6 FR respectively. Felt the odd bing, but no pinch flats or damage. Still bashed my way up rock ledges like a neanderthal once tired. Bike didn't break
    NEPA 450x, Fallacy, MVI and 2 others like this.
  2. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you guys recommend Yoshi or FMF over one another? I know Vortex is the pretty standard / agreed upon fueling solution but saw it has map options for both exhaust systems.
  3. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    29k and you didn’t rebuild the engine like the manual says?
    Surprise!!!
    No be prepared for the what oil are you using and how often do you change it and what about the valves. :rofl
  4. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    He never said it was a CRF450L. Rims are rims.
    Chillis, NEPA 450x, Grreatdog and 2 others like this.
  5. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Your right but since this is the 450l thread not the bent rim thread wouldn’t you think that’s the bike he was talking about?
  6. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Not a 450L. I gave up waiting for Honda to build the L years ago. So I got something else and rode the crap out of it. Mostly off road with non dot mx tires. Braappp.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  7. motoGleamer

motoGleamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been covered but this thread is now almost 300 pages and I've been away for a bit.

I called my local honda dealer and they knew nothing about the vortex or the yoshi exhaust. Have people been happy with the vortex ecu vs stock? What about the yoshi exhaust?

As far as weight savings goes, what have people been able to get the bike down? Thx and hope everyone else has been enjoying this great bike.
  8. Dsharp

Dsharp Off road

Oddometer:
    The big dealership's will not normally volunteer information or give how-to advice on modifications which would result in the bike being out of compliance with EPA regs, unless they know you personally. This is especially true in states with stringent environmental laws like CA. Aftermarket pipes, fuel programmers, airbox mods, and such technically make the bike non compliant. It's a liability issue.

Generally, the small individually owned shops & performance shops will be more willing to help set your bike up with after market mods. Just find a good reputable one in your area.
    motoGleamer and NEPA 450x like this.
  9. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    My horn bracket broke around 1500,2000 miles I think,
    My serial number is just below 600,
    Made 07/18,,,
    So I guess I'm not on recall?
    I have 4 days to go back to dealer for ,
    3 warranty thinks,but I won't trust anyone there to do anything to my bike,since,
    There the ones that stripped seat bolt out,cable ran wrong,and air cleaner rolled off lip,,,,
    1. was seat bolt stripped out,be nice but most likely would put a heli coil in,not replace sub frame,(done by dealer)

2. Clutch bearing and j utter spring,
    I replaced it with a C fiber disc,
    And works much better if your old school clutcher.The bearing will be replaced with a stronger one,and I'm keeping an eye on it.

3.horn bracket,
    It zip ties nice to rad guard indentation,
    Saved weight and I trust it there.
    Who needs traction control with a good map, dam band aids, fix it first.
    AceE and rasecarz like this.
  10. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the metals,look sweet but since there not all the same material, motor/frame is doing , ,x not what u think .

3/16 1/4 ,,,oval hole in rear mount,would make chassis forgive alot of the unsettling of a big hit,,,,

Keep buying the trick shit,and If I was younger,,, I'd go to a riding school,to spend that money,he'll I'd do it now if I could afford it,,,,nice mounts,, fkn air cleaners awful dirty tho lol,,,
    Dam weather,I need a ktm to shit on this winter,,
    Chillis likes this.
  11. rasecarz

rasecarz on2whls

Oddometer:
    The target bikes for the recall I posted were from Japan. I’m sure the list of bikes will be different for the states. NHTSA doesn’t yet have it in the books but Honda site lists it as a recall, awaiting NHTSA.
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    What sort of miles/km have people got up dual sport riding without rebuilds, would like to hear from owners
  13. rasecarz

rasecarz on2whls

Oddometer:
    10K+ Miles is the most I've seen on a 450L odometer, no rebuild, valves have not moved.
    NEPA 450x, Blaise W and BygDaddee like this.
  14. SanDogDewey

SanDogDewey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AECF2432-CAF3-4E57-A9A5-36353ED6B604.jpeg A little slippery out at Nicolai OHV, but still a lot of fun today
    Yeti2ride, MVI, Bhart89 and 1 other person like this.
  15. KARL_ERIK

KARL_ERIK n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought mine new today and at a human price, € 10000 Instead of € 13000. Anyone tried to install Dual Pipes on your CRF450L? My dealer mentioned that Honda very soon will come with there own mapping that gives the bike 44 hp and you keep full warranty that you dont if you use other third party ECU remapping.
    Now I have 290 pages to read in this thread.
    [​IMG]
  16. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Something a professional taught me years ago when I started road racing we were bending aluminum rims a lot. You taking oxygen settling torch and just use a acetylene and put the black from the acetylene torch the soot on aluminum rim,around the bent part,than heat rim up till the black soot starts to disappear, at that point the aluminum is at the right temp to bend rim back out,without cracking it or taking temper out or the aluminum.
    Hope you understand this,I've done this 30 time on roadracing wheels,bends up to 2 inches, and I'm still using the rims,good for 1.5 gs and 165 mph.
    Chillis, rasecarz, Sikorsky and 4 others like this.
  17. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    Quoting to learn this as well ....... unless I missed it in the following pages.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool trick with the soot. I’ll try that next time. I will never bend aluminum without some heat.
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  20. tex68w

tex68w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NEPA 450x likes this.