HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    With the seat off here is the intake for the air box and lipo battery ECU tip over switch and stuff
    0D5F62FB-D546-4591-8D67-55AE25089333.jpeg 51D26723-5BC2-48F7-8EC7-413C4CCB62BD.jpeg
    jonnyc21, Mr Head, Xiola_Blue and 5 others like this.
  2. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for starting this "owners" thread. I'm may be getting one myself this month.

The main thing I want to know is how the fueling works above 9,000 ft. Where I live, I can ride from my house, 300 ft, to 9,600 ft in 65 miles. I also like to ride in Death Valley and the surrounding area, where I can ride from -280 ft to over 11,000 ft in a single day. If the 450L can cover all of those elevations without coughing and dying at the higher elevations in stock trim, I'm probably going to buy one. With smog checks coming for all street legal bikes in California, I want to know it will run well without any modifications. I don't need to max out the horse power, I just want a bike that runs well at all these elevations like the Africa Twin and my R1200GS's have run.

It is cooling off enough now to start riding the Death Valley area so if you want to test your bike at these elevations, I'll meet you in the desert.
    Drydon, Davethestick and larryboy like this.
  3. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    CRF450L after market parts:

If you want IMS to build a 4.0 gallon fuel tank for the 450L, send them an email asking for it. I just talked to them and they said emails from owners who will buy one will make it happen. Send your request to:
    info@imsproducts.com

If I'm going to buy a 450L, I will need enough fuel to cover 200 miles and 4.0 gallons seems about right.
    jonnyc21, Mr Head, eakins and 2 others like this.
  4. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    How easy do the valve checks appear to be? Do you have to disassemble everything? If you have to do them every month or two it better be simple.
    Xiola_Blue likes this.
  5. skibootdog

skibootdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up sept 28 paid full price and 300.00 setup. I have 651mi. On it and changed the oil today it looked dirty for 600 mi. And hab a sheen to it. Filter clean with 6 flaks of metal very small. 400 on road mi. Very smooth fast great brakes . 200 offroad no better than any other dualsport made ktm beta. No worse back to a plated 2 smoke.
    AceE and 2on2off like this.
  6. EffDuh

EffDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picture after the first dirt ride. Going to change the oil soon. What filter did you all use? I didn't see it in the manual. Not to thrilled that the skidplate and side cover have to come of to do this. Will hold my judgement though till after i do it. So far, this bike is a lot of fun. I think i will ride with my padded bike shorts in the future.
    IMG_0246.jpg
  7. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where are you seeing that all street legal motorcycles are going to need smog? I tried looking for any articles about it but came up with nothing.
  8. Pinky

Pinky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally an owner that doesn't type in run-on sentences. :clap It's almost like its been a requirement until this point.
  9. GeneralClortho

GeneralClortho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have narrowed it down to the CRF450L or a DR650 for this spring. I sold my CRF250L and CB500X and still don't have enough greenbacks, hahaha.

Assuming both bikes are new, that is a $4k differential in price. However, I would spend $2k on the DR right off the bat for the carb, filter, exhaust, tires, suspension, and tank to make it more dirt worthy. That narrows it down to a $2k difference which isn't vast when you consider the CRF lighter, more powerful, better suspension, modern technology, fuel injected, and I have to believe it handles the trails much better than a bush pig.

People are quick to bash the price of the 450L, and it is expensive, but those same folks often pick up a $6k bike and spend $2-3k on it to improve its performance (that will probably not reach the CRF's anyway). You could argue they are customizing it for their needs, but that is another way of saying it falls short in those categories and requires improvement. I figure, all the CRF needs is a bigger fuel tank or figure a way to carry a Rotopax can like I did on the 250L.
  10. 2WheelNeal

2WheelNeal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe you won't be putting an extra $2k into your 450L, but I've read plenty of people that want to 'uncork' it and let the massive power flow. Then there are larger tanks, skid plates, barkbusters, RAM mounts, luggage racks, etc.
    Maybe I'm mis-reading the owner intent of this bike, but I bet plenty will sink more cash into this bike. I've yet to leave a bike totally stock. For me, making it 'mine' is part of the hobby.
  11. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Here is an article on the California Air Resources Board website about this:
    https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/programs/on-road-motorcycles/about

Here is the article that was recently published in the AMA newsletter I received in the mail last month. All riders should join the AMA if you haven't already done so. The AMA is a good way for us riders to have our voices heard and get what we need. This information is specific to California only at this time but other states have followed California regarding emissions in the past. CARB = California Air Resources Board. They have regulations in addition to the EPA.
    AMA Article Sept 2018.jpg

Here is a zoomed in view of the last part of this article.

AMA Article zoom.jpg
    NEPA 450x, MalleeFarmer and FoggRider like this.
  12. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock tank and a 2 gal Giant Loop bladder gets you there. At 1/2 way mark dump the bladder and roll it up and put it away.
    I automatically go to the same logic on range and tanks then think about how many rides are legit that distance? Very, very few. Nothing I couldn't strap a GL Bladder on that nicely reinforced subframe and ride just fine.
  13. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Right. Giant Loop has three options. Carry one 2 gallon fuel blatter, carry two 1 gallon fuel blatters or carry two 1 gallon fuel cans that are designed to fit inside Giant Loop soft luggage saddle bags or one can fit in a tank bag. Many options to get the fuel range needed. My day rides are almost always over 150 miles so having a larger fuel tank works well for me. But carrying extra fuel is also a good solution. Just depends on what is needed.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-bladder/

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/reda-innovations-1-gallon-gas-can/
  14. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of mine are offroad 95% so doing a 100mi is a rarity unless I'm in the desert and bombing wide stretches. I think 80-90 in the stock tank works OK for 90% of the rides.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IMS will probably need to use vacuum pickup pump for the lower fuel in the wings, like they did with the WRR. 3g will probably be possible with gravity alone, so it might be more than 4g for a big one.

I suspect Safari from OZ will probably build up the biggest tanks in the world, they usually do. All these new Honda's are in Australia too.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Dudes buy $10k KTMs and quickly dump another $2-3k in them.

ProCycle has had guys spend $10k on DR upgrades too.

Price of entry has nothing to do with aftermarket $ spend for many.
  17. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you got some dirt time.
    I don't have enough miles yet to change the oil but when I picked my bike up I asked the parts guy if they have the oil filters for them yet he said it's the same as the X/R model I just said ok because he didn't look anything up and this was the first bike they sold so I didn't buy one to have on hand. But taking the skid plate off is kinda of standard since most of us change to better than Oem skid plates plus you can get all the crap out of there gravel and dirt take some pics when you do so we can see what's under there.
    Davethestick likes this.
  18. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Looks like the same as the rest seat air shrouds and tank but maybe a slight more room between the frame and valve cover
  19. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% making it yours and suiting your needs will always cost you. I think people want to uncork them and let them breathe to get the most out of them and run as the engineers designed them plus to get rid of some heat/weight and let that BRAAAP!! Sound sing, but some will want a light adventure bike fly under the radar stealth type bike out of her adding racks and a bigger tank put some miles down,then there is the whole protection spending.
    It's just what happens. But nothing wrong with just riding and doing maintenance keeping her stock what ever blows your skirt up and makes you happy as long as you ride her and enjoy it that's the bottom line.
    2WheelNeal likes this.
  20. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    They have been going round and round about that since 2008 it's been shot down many times I think with so many big bike gangs they are worried about a smog revolutionary war hahahaha and to me that's just AMA propaganda trying to get you to join nothing against the AMA they have done great things for us riders just saying it's the crying Indian to stop pollution type thing. Shit most of the people on here might be too young to remember those commercials.
    2on2off likes this.