HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. wingerdt

wingerdt n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine seems geared a bit high for tight woods, are you gonna keep same sprocket setup?
  2. wingerdt

wingerdt n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a 3 gal the 4 on the wr seems so gigantic and out of place
  3. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Ohh ok, sorry didn’t know racing since the 60’s makes anyone an expert. But you said yourself you could hardly tell a power difference which is a statement that says loudly that the pipe and vortex doesn’t do much which for my bike there is no way that statement comes close it’s a night and day difference to a stock bike
    Bitingdog and Heepspo like this.
  4. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Wait don’t ignore me you didn’t get to see my racing resume awww shucks
  5. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Scars and limps tell a story,
    Or mine do,,,
    Gosh KB, no riding ??
    Yea 10 deg here, im about to go out and ,fall down the steps,
    To keep in practice,,,lol, kick a ktm sitting here,
    For something to do,
    [​IMG]
  6. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would definitely get the IMS 4.0 if available, but perhaps use it when needed. The 3.0 is fine for most rides, but the 4.0 plus another gallon will be necessary at times. There are some long routes out there. I'll send them a message! What kind of skid plate is that? SXS, ? The right side water pump protection is unique.
    PA Dewayne and NEPA 450x like this.
  7. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I agree there are times where that extra gallon would be nice as long as it doesn’t start to look too bulbuls and they have a quality pump to get the fuel out of the wings
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  8. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Desert temps are 68F perfect for a good long ride this weekend. Your weather should get better soon. There is always your spiked tires
    Chillis likes this.
  9. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    I no the spiked tires will work, its my spiked bones that hate the cold KB,,,lol
    Bitingdog, KICKNBACK and Chillis like this.
  10. tex68w

tex68w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, while I'd love to have the extra gallon of fuel I can't imagine running anything larger and/or more cumbersome than the IMS 3.0. It's at the max of what still looks appropriate with the factory design and it doesn't impede on the cockpit or handling.
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  11. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I took the scoot out for a putt up into the Silverado's today. Here is the last clean shot.

[​IMG]

Here is the happy camper on top!

[​IMG]

Being this is the first off-road ride, here's my opinion, after 45 miles.

Throttle, not bad but a little jerky off the bottom. The more I rode, this wasn't as pronounced as it was in the beginning. Power felt good and reminded me of my '07 450X. The stock muffler is way quiet, but I didn't mind, at least for now. I need to set the sag on the rear shock, but the suspension felt good.

I averaged 50 miles a gallon for the entire trip, using a total of .8 gallons, per Mr. Honda's computer. This will change as I get more used to the bike and it get's broken in.

So, overall I really liked it! Sunday going to take it up to Silverwood dam and ride up towards Deep Creek. We'll see how it works on something a little more slow.

I get the banjo bolt switch from Champion Adventures tomorrow. I'll post some info about the install!

And there's more, but you all just gotta wait to see!

Until next time....
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The 4+ gallon tanks are for western riders in remote areas, long BDR sections and Baja riders. Often 200+ mile range is needed...and you hope the station has fuel.

Side wing tanks provide crash protection for your radiators.

Function over form is essential.
    Dorian, twolf and simmons1 like this.
  13. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen to that. My WRR with the Safari 3.7 ran out of fuel twice from Provo UT to Wendover NV along the Pony Express route, within sight of Wendover, and another time as well in UT. In all cases was able to borrow fuel from another bike equipped with a larger tank. Then I changed to the IMS 4.7 and problem solved. A 240 mile range on the WRR just wasn't enough out west. 'Gets lonely out there, and while the big tanks don't have the best appearance, riding beats pushing every time! Even 5 gallons on the 450L will be touchy in a few places but by the time I get to those I'll have a very good idea of exactly how far I can go when riding conservatively, when required. The 4.0 will take care of the majority of ADV routes and the 3.0 normal rides. I always carry a long siphon hose.
    PA Dewayne, eakins and NEPA 450x like this.
  14. tex68w

tex68w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that function trumps all but you are walking a fine line between adding fuel range and reducing the handling, cockpit space, adding weight and possibly introducing an added failure point with an aftermarket fuel pump that will be needed on some of these larger wing tanks. I understand that this bike is coined as a Dual Sport and that has a very broad definition and meaning to each individual rider. At the end of the day this is a 450CC heavy dirt bike based largely on an ednruo bike, it is not an adventure bike nor is it DRZ or KLR. For me personally it is far more important to have a great handling and performing thumper in this segment than it is to cover an extra 50 miles with 60lbs of gear slung over the rear of the bike. Should one need to cover 250+ miles in a ride without visiting a gas station then I suggest carrying extra fuel in the form of a Rotopax, fuel bladder or MSR fuel cans over adding a large gangly tank that detracts from the very aspects of performance that make the bike appealing in the first place, YMMV.
    Heepspo, Olivo, svtride and 1 other person like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If you need the range you need the range.

I would rather have the ability to fill 5 gallons, if needed, and fill only 3 g the rest of the time VS extra tanks and bags hanging all that weight of the back of the bike.

Guaranteed those extra 2 gallons of weight strapped off the rear of the bike will have more negative handling effect than that weight placed dead center of the front tank.

Using only 3 gallons will also be sitting lower in the 5g tank & thus bike vs 3g gallons sitting up high in a top off 3g tank.

Have you loaded up for a week of camping?
    If so, you need all the space you can find and having all the fuel in 1 place is ideal imo.

Buy a see thru tank and Mark each gallon.
    Fill up 2-3g unless you need more.

As for the Mikuni vacuum lift pump that IMS uses.
    That has been proven rock solid reliable reliable for the last 10+ years.

Finally those side wings provide great crash protection for your radiators.

This is all working great at 4.7g on the WR250R and would on the more powerful 450L.

This is how many big range western dual sport touring riders think as far as fuel needs. Your needs may be different than others.
    Bitingdog, PA Dewayne and twolf like this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep that's the reality of western riding.
    These discussions are often driven by Eastern vs Western US riders needs.

I see that alot in the WRR thread too, why would you want more than 3g, there are stations everywhere?

Well dig some more and that person is from back east where gas is available every 20 miles.

Different mindset for that western rider who hopes he has enough for that 250 mile run and is not burning thru gas too fast with agressive throttle.

I've meet many Eastern riders who shit their pants the first time they ride out west. They are blown away by the large open spaces.
  17. twolf

twolf Dork

Oddometer:

:super Yes, THIS :clap
    Bitingdog, Blaise W and eakins like this.
  18. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As noted in an earlier post, thanks to the folks at Nomad Tanks, you’ll have the option of 11L, 15L & 20L (<3G, 4G, >5G) by Easter
    PA Dewayne, Blaise W and eakins like this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's awesome.
    Just be prepared, there might be some sticker shock by the cost of imported Australia fuel tanks vs IMS in the US or even imported Acerbis tanks.

Has anyone contacted Acerbis?

Do these guys have any insight?
    http://www.justgastanks.com/
  20. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200124-151815_eBay.jpg

I guess my pipe wont be here anytime soon..