HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    It would be great if you are right and I hope you are.
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Sorry I'm a RIDER not a freakin WRITER. :rofl
    The spelling and punctuation thread is 2 more threads over.
  3. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you plan on riding this thing to the dirt, or is this a trailer queen? :hide
    KICKNBACK likes this.
  4. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha welcome to the party
    Mr Head likes this.
  5. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok so I did the plate mod. I will keep it short and sweet. Total coast 4 bucks just for hardware.
    Before A887D922-26E4-4E72-A5B4-1C49B925DF36.jpeg
    After ADD7F829-BB36-4438-815A-F98A10A19595.jpeg
    FDA6FEC2-E8E2-41BD-89BF-BF9BF41B9C13.jpeg
    twinrider, NSFW, danketchpel and 4 others like this.
  6. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    So take the seat, rear fender and plate light off. Cut the plate brackets at the end. The plate mount has 2 parts one that holds the plate that gets bolted to the brackets that come off the bike separate those by removing 3 bolts. Make a horseshoe bracket bolt it to existing holes. Center the plate holder drill one hole to mount it. I then used 2 little angle pieces to hold the top part of the plate holder and your done.
    6559FE4F-AC01-4C29-85B7-773CB982D167.jpeg D52A0A86-D194-4FF4-9899-4AD85E7DD1B1.jpeg 1C1213B2-DC7B-461F-A091-E6D03DC3060D.jpeg
    Bitingdog and HBSURFDAD like this.
  7. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from the bottom looking up.
    4386460C-004B-4955-AF71-072D46776B2B.jpeg
    Horseshoe bracket at the end
    567F2EB6-79D0-410B-9EF6-A292DD81AD04.jpeg
    Looking up from under plate holder 526E4A2A-AA23-4362-9499-DB00EA9147FB.jpeg
    The angle bracket from looking from outside holding plate holder
  8. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work and excellent documentation. You , Sir are a gentleman and a scholar. To bulletproof this setup you should look into an Enduroplate. https://www.enduroplate.com/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BohAWIfHrCL/embed/?autoplay=1

In case the plate gets hit it will flip up and reset back in place with magnets. Neat idea
    Rippin209, Bitingdog and KICKNBACK like this.
  9. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at the frame, I would bet a IMS 450RX 3 gal tank would probably fit now.
  10. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I was kinda thinking the same thing. I was also looking at the 2019 CRF450X muffler looks like the same bends and mount wise. It will sound and perform better get rid of the scalding hot number plate issue but also it won’t be as obnoxiously loud as a aftermarket exhaust and be forestry approved. Just my thoughts......
    Edit: All the punctuation in this post is dedicated to @Pinky :ksteve
    derblauereiter likes this.
  11. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FMF has a 450RX single can full Megabomb system with a Q4 + S/A which passes the eyeball test, but no confirmation. They will never be AS quiet but I bet it drops 15lbs and runs much cooler. However, I'm pretty sure that mod would require an ECU mod to make it all work.

[​IMG]

https://www.fmfracing.com/Product/ProductDetail?CategoryID=629&BikeType=MX/OFFROAD&BikeMake=HONDA&BikeModel=CRF450RX&BikeYear=2019&ItemID=041564&imaConfig=Single&ParentCategoryID=31&Priority=14&SearchText=
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  12. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be great if someone would weigh and photograph the stock catalytic converter.

BP
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  13. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do believe it's built into the muffler and is not a removable part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect the X and L have the same Exhaust. I think you'll find aside from indicators the big tail light, led lighting and extra sound reduction methods with polymer injected swingarm damped sprockets etc. they are identical. Probably just a slightly higher state of tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Heavy mufflerz increases the stabilities!

I read it on the interwebz
    GR0NK, MalleeFarmer and Bultaco206 like this.
  16. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    If what you say about this bike handling like the WR on the road is true, then Honda is going to sell a lot of these machines. Dirt bikes with lights aren’t much fun on the road but a bike that is even lighter and more powerful than the WR with good road manners is going to be hard to resist.

Bhart89 and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    OK, someone has to say it. Are you going to ride your new bike, or just play with it like a Barbi doll? The tires don't look like they have gotten out of the garage. Also, by shortening the rear, your $900 Klim jacket will be covered with mud after the 1st water crossing.
    Just saying!
    :hide

p.s., you're an engineer, right? :-)
  18. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Eh. I'll watch what you guys do. Maybe you'll make sense of this bike..and I'll get more enthusiasm.

Saw one, sat on it at store. Wanted to want it. It felt heavy. Almost as heavy as my xr650r. Without the comfy seat concepts seat, without the power, dead reliable kick start, carb, known reliability (guy in my crew has one with 64k on clock not even top end)

I sat on a ktm 500 tossed that around and damned if even that seat wasn't more comfy than the Honda. Felt lighter, dirt bike like. I have a ktm LC4 sxc, maintenance wore but prefer Honda.

That 650r is a great traveling bike. Can do most single track, even tuff stuff, Elephant Hill UT stuff and is a great street bike. Stable, fine handler and can give some canyon carving bikes competition even with Kenda 270 rear or d606.

It's a great motor home do it all bike. LC4 not bad either, but heavier and not as reliable unsupported far from home.

Was hoping the crf450l would be like that xr but more flickable for woods, modern, etc. I may buy after watching you guys beta test and adjust!
    (Man that seat sux)
    portalespeanut and Bitingdog like this.
  19. firephoto

firephoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was comparing part numbers between the L and X yesterday for a friend who's getting one. The ECU and exhaust header and muffler are different. The new X header is slightly bigger and loops out farther so this might be an option if it connects to the muffler at the same point as the L. The tank and throttle body are the same, some parts on the swingarm are different but that might be the guards or mounts for them but it probably isn't filled with foam either. The X has the engine covers and all of the engine is the same, has the big thermostat housing, same stator. The headlight is different and all the DOT lighting and switch gear is gone on the X. The frame is the same. The rear subframe was different so maybe just missing threads or attachments for the tail light bracket.

I also realized that the Japanese market version has that exhaust bung with O2(?) sensor but the North American doesn't and it also has a more restricted air box cover so there were options that could of made the situation worse.

The North American air box doesn't look like it's restricted much if at all and you can just unbolt the top and you basically have what the R or RX has. Seat pan seems to be shared between the R RX X and L and the pics I saw of the australian bikes with the bigger tank added had one pic with R side plastics bolted on so they seem to attach the same as the L but I'm not sure if the tank mounts are the same as the R and RX but I'm thinking they probably are since I've also saw it mentioned there are some holes in the frame that are unused on the L but are for something on the R or RX so the frame might be the same plus or minus some tabs or drilled and tapped holes.

Oh, I also noticed the VIN is up to 001100 or so and also saw some numbers down around 000400 so it does seem like they started out at 000001 for the North American bikes or maybe Canada has different number set even? With the stated deliveries dealers are expecting it seems like there are a lot of these bikes inbound.
    Brtp4 and chasejj like this.
  20. chasejj

chasejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now were getting somewhere!:beer. It would be interesting to see if the ECU sockets are the same. A simple X to L ECU swap could be a fix with a new pipe/can
    Bitingdog and MalleeFarmer like this.