HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If running off of the OEM Accessory circuit doesn't provide enough power, it could be used to switch a relay that provided power through a direct circuit to the battery.
    tex68w likes this.
  2. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're asking for more than 120W (12V @ 10A) from the accessory plug on a 450cc dual-sport bike, then you should probably get a different bike to begin with.
    Bultaco206 and ZoomerP like this.
  3. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    True, but some people seem to want more. It's also possible that someone would want to have independently fused circuits for more than one or two things, even if they'd occasionally be powered simultaneously with a combined draw of +10A.
  4. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the bike for a short jaunt this morning after moving things around in the garage. Definitely looking forward to the trips I have scheduled on it coming up here in the next few months.

[​IMG]
  5. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    Be careful.. you only have 3 gallons of fuel.

Damn in such a dick.
  6. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL.

With the 1gal GL Gas Bag and the two 1L MSR Fuel Bottles I can carry 4.5 gallons, that gets me pretty much anywhere I need to go. I have only had to use that combo once. I might need to come up with another gallon for parts of the TAT, CDR, and TDI.
    Bitingdog and MVI like this.
  7. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    I'd just take the strom. 5 gallons.

My strom1k hates me.. I treat it like a 450 class bike..
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it needs a Vortex.

:hide
    Bitingdog, Navin, Yinzer Moto and 3 others like this.
  9. highcountryhoon

highcountryhoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first ride yesterday with the Nomad 20 litre (5 gallon) tank on board. I am so impressed I thought I'd share some pics. Thanks to all who I pestered with questions before I took the plunge. And please don't laugh too hard at my tank graphics. IMG_20201020_134128.jpg IMG_20201020_134058.jpg IMG_20201020_134032.jpg IMG_20201020_100521.jpg IMG_20201020_100410.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    Little bling came in 20201020_160749.jpg
  11. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is some huge tank ya got there Highcountryhoon. Very impressive.

Do I spy a Boxer on the other side of your "L" Crazybrian?
    highcountryhoon likes this.
  12. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    Yes sir. 1995 GSPD with a Yamaha Fork swap. Need to up the spring rate a bit. Was thinking about making on of my r65's into a gs, but just going to sell both of them. Found a deal on a xr400 for a spare trail bike. 20200919_103932.jpg
    gt750, Yeti2ride, Bitingdog and 2 others like this.
  13. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of you considering purchasing the ASV levers for your 450L, most notably the shorty versions, listen up (but this applies to both).

For the clutch side you will need to request the thicker white delrin spacer that has holes to line up with the perch itself as well as the standard black spacer that simply rests inside of the perch. You will need to use both stacked on one another in order for the clutch perch to sit far enough out from the bar so that the clutch lever can clear the switch housing when engaged. It will work with just the white delrin spacer but you will come into contact with the switch housing and the clutch itself will just barely engage in the friction zone and I cannot guarantee that it won't lead to increased wear on the clutch itself if used like that.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  14. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my replacement handlebar 12V accessory port from Joe at JCR Speed Shop. Mine went boob-up a few days ago for some unknown reason? So thanks Joe.
    At the same time I received another brand "maybe" that I ordered for a different bike. I say maybe because it's made so frikken similar and comes with the same exact hardware that ya kinda know it's made in the same Chinese prison factory.

The one on the right is what I had and a few other here have. These are switched right on the device so made to connect directly to your battery if you want, with no loss of power the switched "off".
    IMG_5369.jpg

The one on the left (Wupp) also offers a look at your voltage.
    IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

I liked the voltage read-out on the Wupp (nice name?)
    IMG_5384.jpg

I also liked the fact that the switch was under the cover rather than exposed so I decided to put this one on the "L". Only negative was it comes with a total of 4 feet of wire so I had to add a short jumper to get it weaved thru the frame to make it to the battery. The other original one comes with 5 feet.
    IMG_5385.jpg

Negative for both... they come with an in-line fuse that is GLASS. Insane in this day and age.
    Installed blade-type and for the Wupp it's a 10A, the other is a 5A.
    IMG_5397.jpg

All set. Installed this evening in 15 minutes. The Wupp (voltage read) is $14.00 on Amazon. The other one is $15.00, also on Amazon. Go figure.
    IMG_5401.jpg

Keeping with stupid stuff that was bugging me scenario...

I liked the idea of a knurled end rather than the cheap wing nut set-up from Honda for the air cleaner bolt.
    But who in the world gave the measurements to the factory workers to come up with this?
    IMG_5404.jpg

The M6 nuts are on there just to make sure I didn't screw-up the treads.
    IMG_5407 2.jpg

Much, much better and easier to put in or out
    IMG_5409.jpg
  15. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I had a usb converter/voltmeter combo fail from vibrations (dash mounted) after like 1500-2000km of riding. I took it apart and a several solders had broken (a solenoid and a capacitor were moving around).
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    For that reason, I prefer powerlet ports. I tried a few hardwired USB ports but they die after a while. This can be trouble if on a multi day/week trip. I just plug a powerlet USB adapter in to the powerlet socket. I carry a spare.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be getting ready to purchase a used 2019 with 536 miles on the clock. I ask again, are these bikes high maintenance? I'm the type that would rather ride than wrench, and I have limited mechanical skills. I can do some things, but valve inspections are something that scare me. Most of my riding will be local, 100 mile radius from home, back roads, not much highway. I bought my youngest son a CRF 125 F for his 10th birthday in August, and looking for a bike I can still ride on the street, and ride trails with him.
    gt750 likes this.
  18. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t really know what you’re after here. Ask ten different people that question and you’ll get twelve different answers. So here’s mine...

My use is a true 50/50. Most of my off-pavement is gravel and 2-track. My bike is stock save for a JD Tuner. My longest oil change interval has been approximately 1100-1200 miles, my shortest has been maybe 250ish, IIRC. I maintain my bikes according to how they’re ridden.

I’m a slave to my air filter. I’m at around 3000ish miles on the clock. And I’ve never checked my valves. On purpose. I’m around too many current-gen 450Rs that are beaten weekly on the MX track that have zero valve issues. As long as my bike starts easily, pulls hard, runs strong, and pisses-out the same amount of oil I put in it, I’m good.

That’s my system that works for me. YMMV.
  19. Crash217

Crash217 The short guy with a beard

Oddometer:
    To add to Bultaco's sentiments; As far as racing derived dirtbikes with tags go. No the CRF450L is not high maintenance. Compared to a normal street bike? Yes, its service intervals are shorter. But working on it is simple. Change the oil often and keep the air filter clean and it will give you a lot of life. There's multiple people out there getting 10k miles without having to adjust a valve.
    Bitingdog, ZoomerP and Bultaco206 like this.
  20. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I went for a new usb converter, took it apart and filled it with silicon to protect things inside. It's very easy to replace so carrying a spare could be done too.
    Bitingdog, ZoomerP and Yinzer Moto like this.