HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, when I get a chance I'm going to open the unit that failed and see what happened. Like I said in an earlier post I have a friend that has had 3 of them on his bikes for years, never a problem or issue. See how long this new type lasts.
    The el-cheapo cigarette lighter versions I have on other bikes all keep tickin.

I had Powerlet on my BMW's. Good stuff.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also carry a powerlet to cigarette style adapter, so I can just pick up a USB charger at a gas station, if needed.
    Bitingdog and MVI like this.
  3. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say the bike changed. At first, I'd always pull the clutch in, so it wouldn't stall. But, after a few more rides, I'd begin to test it. Now, I sometimes purposely try to make it stall, to no avail. Then, near the end of the season, when I did a gnarly off road loop, I knew something had changed. The herky jerky throttle was not gone, but it was not a problem. I'd have crashed a lot more if it had been an issue. I was tested a lot on that ride. IMG_20200912_150547.jpg IMG_20200912_150600.jpg IMG_20200912_110536.jpg IMG_20200912_125508.jpg IMG_20200912_125601.jpg IMG_20200912_150505.jpg
    Bitingdog, MVI and svtride like this.
  4. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tonight....

upload_2020-10-22_14-2-19.png
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan on above!
    MVI likes this.
  6. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JohnTYoung has a very good video series on his bike that includes many maintenance tasks. Scan through his YouTube channel. You'll see what maintenance can be expected, and you can decide if it's too much for you: https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnTYoung

If you decide to buy the 2019, my advice would be to also buy the Honda service manuals, and to add whatever tools you lack to service the bike yourself. A good torque wrench is probably the most expensive tool you'd need: http://www.torqwrench.com/
  7. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm ... I was going to watch some old dudes yell at each other, but this looks much better.
  8. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Mark, I'll tune in and check it out. I still need to watch "The Long Way Up" as well.
    MVI, Bitingdog and ZoomerP like this.
  9. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really should give the boys another try. I watched the first two episodes of LWD and couldn't stand Charley's antics, or Ewan's soon-to-be ex-wife drama. For travelogues, I prefer Lyndon or the old Top Gear specials. LWR might be more like those, since it was their first.
    MVI and Bitingdog like this.
  10. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked the first two series for what they were and there's no denying that they helped to grow interest in the hobby. I admit that Ewan's now ex-wife in LWD was a major negative to the entire series, makes sense why they are no longer together lol.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd download the Owner's Manual, for free, from the Honda website. Decide for your self. That is kind of a relative question. High maintenance, compared to what? A helicopter, fire truck, CRF450R? Compared to a older 650 c.c. d/s? Yes, higher maintenanace, but still very manageable. The two big items are valve clearance checks at 1800 miles and oil and filter changes at 600 mile intervals. Really, not a big deal. Also, the air filter is reuseable, so that needs to be serviced, depending on how much dust you ride in. Maybe twice a season?
    AdvNener and Bitingdog like this.
  12. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your bike starts without issue then there's absolutely no reason to check your valves every 1800 miles. If you want to then knock yourself out, but it's simply not needed. Where I ride it's almost always dusty so I am replacing and cleaning air filters nearly every other ride, but if you have multiples then it's not a problem. The filter covers can help prolong this but I personally don't use them. I have stretched my OCI's to 1,000 miles and the Blackstone OAR's show no issues or reasons as to why it can't be done on the regular. There are some owners who are stretching it even further, YMMV.

Overall this is a very simple bike to maintain and IMHO gives no reason to concern yourself over maintenance intervals. Considering the complexity of the motor and the performance versus something like a DRZ I consider the trade-offs in terms of maintenance intervals well worth it.
  13. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maintenance was an initial concern for me, too. Your experience and that of many others convinced me that it's really not a big deal, especially after seeing how rarely people report needing to adjust the valves. Even then, valve adjustment doesn't look that difficult.

I just checked the 2021 Owners Manual, and it doesn't look like Honda changed the service schedule or cargo capacity. Conservative to a fault.
  14. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea it's not the end of the world to do but it's by no means fun or quick, at least not to me. I'll check mine again at 5,000 miles if I don't have any issues prior to that mileage.
    Bitingdog and ZoomerP like this.
  15. mrmushman

mrmushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If hard to start is that an indication that valve clearance is too small? Thanks.
    MVI likes this.
  16. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, tight valves will make a bike hard to start.
    MVI and Bitingdog like this.
  17. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very dusty ride will mean service air filter as soon as possible. Pre-filters makes this easy if you plan a bit ahead.
    But this is true for every bike...

That's just the valves check here. It will get more involved if you need to adjust (re-shim). Not a very big deal, there even seems to be a nice screw to deal with the camchain tensionner (wish I had that when doing it on my wrr)
    Bitingdog and ZoomerP like this.
  18. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of any long ride reports here? Would love to read about how this bike does as an adventure bike.
  19. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    @sbn = I rode a BDR with the 450L for 8 or 9 days, fully loaded with gear and carried 4.6G of Fuel (17.4L) each day

All you need to do is spring the bike for the weight, keep Air filter clean and add gas.
    It makes a great lightweight ADV bike since it has a well designed full Alum subframe.
    Add a nicer seat if you do not like stock seat.
  20. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for sharing. Im also interested to know how it does on the road since I have to de at lest 2 hours to get to any off pavement riding.

Oh and does it share any components with the R or X version?