HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="sbn, post: 41093733, member: 48363"]Does anyone know of any long ride reports here? Would love to read about how this bike does as an adventure bike.[/QUOTE]

While not as long as MVI's ride I have done a couple of 3 day trips about 500 miles long.
    The bike was great both on and off road.
    Here is one of them

https://advrider.com/f/threads/smokey-mountain-500-mostly-pics.1453643/
    Bitingdog, From Scratch, sbn and 2 others like this.
  2. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    As already noted, @MVI has done the NM BDR on his and this fella has a channel devoted to the very topic and everything surrounding it, he's done at least three or more of the BDR's on his.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnTYoung/videos
    Bitingdog, PA Dewayne, sbn and 2 others like this.
  3. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fully Loaded in NM

upload_2020-10-23_7-57-4.png
    Bitingdog, sbn, tex68w and 1 other person like this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    search youtube for John t. Young, he has a ton of stuff on using as a lightweight adv bike.
    Bitingdog and sbn like this.
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far I've only done a few 1 to 4 days trips. One with camping gear. 300 to 1300km only, so 0 maintenance during trips except changing a filter skin. It does really well.
    With an aftermarket seat, a small windshield and the stock tires, the bike does very very well on the road for me. Have chased and been chased by bigger bikes in the twisties, really enjoyable.
    sbn likes this.
  6. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your recommendations need to be qualified. If you're riding off road, you may need to do an oil and filter change after 50 or 100 km's! If you ride gravel roads and highway, 1000 miles may be fine. How you ride this motorcycle is critical in determining service intervals. Make sure to look at the Owner's Manual. I've never had such a good manual.
  7. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    19_Honda_CRF450L_rocker_arm.jpg 19_Honda_CRF450L_radiators.jpg 19_Honda_CRF450L_piston.jpg 19_Honda_CRF450L_fuel_tank.jpg 19_Honda_CRF450L_Beauty_8.jpg If you ride the speed limit and limit how hard you accelerate, you will get excellent fuel mileage on the road. Probably around 100-120 miles per tank. Then off road, you'll get between 45-65 miles per tank.
    For shared components between the X/R and the RL/L, plenty. The suspension pieces are identical. Frame is identical to the X model, as is the engine cases, transmission and lots of other components. The "L/RL" models were made more durable, as this model meets Honda's high standards for street bike reliability. This means things such as, extra ring on the piston, milder camshaft, heavier crankshaft, for more low end "tractor factor", clutch damper, sprockets with rubber damping. Go back and view the plethora of information when this model was released in late 2018 and 2019.
    Also, @Slaugo has over 21,000 miles of mostly off road riding on his 2019 CRF450L. Check out his posts and videos.
  8. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have watched a lot of John T. Young's videos now, and I am really impressed by this bike. Im even more convinced that I should buy this machine. Thanks guys.
    Bitingdog, ZoomerP and MVI like this.
  9. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:

Converted another Rider to the CRF , Well Done team
    :dllama:
  10. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That you have :lol3
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. benzo

benzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LWR is to adventure motorcycling what borat is to travel jounalism.
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same goes for the Top Gear guys. I just want to see an entertaining show, and what I saw of LWD was far from that.
    Bitingdog, MVI and benzo like this.
  13. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bitingdog, benzo and chudzikb like this.
  14. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your suggestion is over doing it a tad. Many of us here have stretched our OCI's to well beyond the 600 mile recommendation while traveling almost solely off-road and we have Blackstone OAR's covering that milage to prove that everything checks out. This includes people like @MVI, myself, and John T. Young, but you do you. BTW, those three bikes alone have a combined mileage of over 13,000 miles without issue.

If you are racing the bike in hair scrambles, enduros, best in the desert series, etc. then yes I would recommend you change your oil and do the recommended maintenance more frequently (btw, there's a separate service schedule in the owners manual for race use). That said, if you are doing those types of things with this bike on the regular then you probably have the wrong bike. YMMV.
    Bitingdog, gt750 and MVI like this.
  15. tex68w

tex68w Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally finished the utility trailer project. The first phase of the restoration included all sanding, painting, rewiring, installing all new recessed LED lights, new decking, deck sealant and new tires. The second phase included finishing the L-Track on the forward pipe rail and on the deck, DOT2 stickers, a new side-wind pivoting tongue jack, locking tongue tool box and a new license plate light and bracket.

This will be the perfect utility trailer for local day trips or multi-day trips when our travel doesn't require overnight stays in a hotel or public place where lack of constant visibility would create a security issue for the bikes/cargo. I have already used it multiple times carrying both the 450L and the DT250A a combined 1,000+ miles without issue. It's nice to be able to easily, conveniently and quickly secure the bikes without straps.

I tried my best to keep the tie-down system as low profile as possible by using L-track with a radius so that it won't interfere with hauling other possible cargo like riding mowers, furniture, boxes, etc. Flush mount L-Track would have been even better but it didn't make sense for this project and the decking used. In total the trailer weighs under 1,000 lbs empty with the loaded tool box and spare making it a light load for a mid-size tow rig like a Tacoma or 4Runner.

Here is what I started with back in the summer (as a reminder), a weathered and slightly rusted six year old trailer tarnished from years of daily exposure to the elements. It had only been towed two or three times since new and had never been registered by the dealer.

[​IMG]

New pivoting side-wind jack and locking tongue tool box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All new recessed LED lights and LED plate light and bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

L-Track on the leading edge pipe rail for wheel chocks and tie-downs and on the deck for use with the Bike Binderz and tie-downs. The center tracks are longer for use with a third bike which can be mounted facing forward or backwards as needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solo/single bike setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dual/multiple bike setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tie-downs for use with lashings/straps for bikes that lack cleated pegs like the DT250A, sport bikes, standards, etc.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog, PA Dewayne, MVI and 4 others like this.
  16. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that there is really funny. Good One!

Hey, that trailer looks really good.
    I got one of the pivoting jacks for my Kendon, very similar. I added a wheel accessory to that which makes it so much easier to maneuver around when hooking up to your hitch. Or when you want to un-hook and maneuver with the trailer loaded.
    Generic product. Your back will appreciate it.
    tex68w likes this.
  17. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    @Crazybrian load your shit up and trailer down here. We are riding tomorrow..
    I will wait till ya get here.
    Aim for 21811 zip code dunkin parking lot

New guy has a T7..
    Bitingdog, MVI and tex68w like this.
  18. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    I would if I wasnt up in Northern PA riding tomorrow. Let me know next time. Did you sign up for Hammer Run next weekend?
    MVI likes this.
  19. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    :(

36EC17F3-DD32-4504-A604-715476331B1F.png
    Bitingdog and Yinzer Moto like this.
  20. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer: