HONDA CRF450L MEGA THREAD

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KICKNBACK, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    I just want to throw this out there before I run to my daughters soccer game.
    I was skeptical was this going to be just a bigger motor red in color version of the WR250R and I can say NO! It’s not, it’s a plated dirt bike that’s corked up with a small tank and giant mirrors and miles of smiles and really the maintenance is a non issue when your happy with what you ride like I complained about with my KTM 350exc-f it’s not that it a maintenance whore as much as working on something all the time that just didn’t perform the way that made me happy. But really in real world small adventure bike you can probably stretch those numbers maybe to 2500 valves and I would still do oil at 600 because it’s a small amount and oil is cheap compared to the price of an engine. I change oil often anyway gives me a chance to do a good prep at the same time instead of the quick preps in between rides. Air filter after every dirt ride, if only on road when it starts to look dirty. Just my opinion and how I roll
  2. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    So more than my $1500 nx250?
    Hope to check it out at Pahrump.

hh
    wwm
  3. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is sounding more and more like my 450x and since I live in the Aussie Desert and whoops are a plenty it sounds like it will handle my duties just fine and will be a good option for a mid range Offroad/Dual Sport I'm very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you set up your phone or a camera and film some sections of whoops or a jump landing or have someone film you? I honestly don't care in the least how fast it is, just want to watch the suspension work in real life scenarios.
  5. rocksterman

rocksterman adventure duffer

Oddometer:
    Hope to hear more about the Rally, on the Rally thread of course!
  6. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    I was going to do that but just wanted to ride the bike as much as I could plus I was tired only had 4 hours of sleep drove for 2 hours then rode my ass off not making excuses just telling my story. It was my first ride with her after waiting most of the week to get out and I went solo so that's why so many still pics of her just sitting pretty while I drank lots of water and we cooled down.
    Bitingdog, MalleeFarmer and mylsmkj like this.
  7. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to ride, but the peanut gallery wants to know!:lol3
  8. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking while riding, with less of a power hit having the heavier flywheel. But the power is there just stretched out.
    I know the valving in the suspension is different because they have to make it road worthy too but man for the average joe who wants to ride to work then take the fun way home will be late for dinner for sure because you won't wanna stop riding.
  9. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Here is a dirty pic still looks clean. But what I did notice is the head pipe is still blue/purple so maybe going with the X muffler might work if I leave the intake the same. Checked the oil and didn’t use a drop
    0AA43797-D673-484F-8178-23DA1C4D1FE8.jpeg 8FEF7EBD-1E77-46E5-99C7-3A37B68ADC47.jpeg
    jonnyc21, Bitingdog and Emgo like this.
  10. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    Ok so I dug in the box of ram mounts and came up with this.
    E2D7C57C-9B36-45FC-A003-1DD6C62ED9D7.jpeg 099CF7BD-B51F-4B12-AF46-BFFB1ECA2E52.jpeg 934082A4-6974-4A3E-B72B-4F6D52A04E13.jpeg
    jonnyc21, Harder1 and MalleeFarmer like this.
  11. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    KKB, does it have any power ports for the GPS?
    Davethestick likes this.
  12. KICKNBACK

Oddometer:
    None, so AA batteries for now but I don't use the GPS all that much, more to mark cool things I find. But the battery is a small lipo so if you use a battery tender or charger it has to be for a lipo. I need to find info on the stator wattage to see what can be run without taxing the system.
  13. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, , , I’m also a real Owner of a 450L!! :clap I took delivery of mine on the 26th of September & have ridden it some but not much, , , only about 120 miles so far. (I think) The reason is valid in that I’m a 71 year old Short Fat guy & 37 inches to the top of the seat has me barely touching my Toes to the ground. I knew this going in so I took a chance & ordered a pair of Kouba Lowering Links for a (17/18/19) 450R & a Seat Concepts Seat before taking delivery. The Kouba Links (1.5 inches lower) fit perfectly but the seat kit was the wrong one. The seat was a “Lowered” version & SC took it back & are sending a “Comfort” Seat (Stock Height) to me, , , another week at least before it gets here. Now, , , along with the Kouba Links I dropped the forks about 3/4 inch & backed off on the rear preload!!

I know these adjustments fly in the face of FAST woods, , endless Whoops etc but remember that I’m a 71 year old & just don’t do those things anymore!! I do love riding our North Georgia Forest Roads & I’m sure it’ll eat those with delight!!

I’m going to replace the 7/8 inch bars with a set of Fat Bars which will open up the area above the Bar Clamps for proper mounting of Ram Mounts for my GPS. I’ll also likely get rid of that ridiculously long front brake hose for a shorter custom made hose. I’ll wait for someone to make a taillight mod & im anxious for a bigger tank, , , 3 gallons is enough for me!! I’ll take my Doubletake mirrors off my 250L & transfer them to my 450.

I ride a LOT & am not afraid of riding aggressively but not like I did 20 years ago. I just want to ride for a LONG time so avoid those real technical rides!! I have an Africa Twin & Ride it a lot off Tarmac.

Anyway, , , looking forward to seeing what other owners come up with!!

Here’s mine....

Purchase Day:

6C34459C-F454-4930-B8D5-1787C92A34F5.jpeg

Taking a look.....

AEAD232C-E2A2-41F6-8874-7F36AC49F1D1.jpeg

The Ordered Seat.....

FFDD47CB-1660-4993-9E08-250176C9F14D.png
    FLHTK, NEPA 450x, jonnyc21 and 19 others like this.
  14. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I just received this email reply from IMS:

"We are currently working on a fuel tank for those new CRF450L models, but the tank we will have first will be just slightly over 3.0 gallons. We’re modifying the 3.0 gallon tank for the CRF450RX since it was very similar to that new bike. We’ve had a few requests for something larger than that, but for now we are going to just have this one size. You can check back with me around the beginning of the new year to see if we’re working on anything larger, but this 3.0 gallon one should be ready sometime next month. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Daniel Carlos

IMS Products"

If you are like me and want a 4 gallon fuel tank for the CRF450L, write an email to IMS as they apparently have not heard from enough people to justify building a 4 gallon fuel tank for the CRF450L.
    XICAQUE, eakins and Mr Head like this.
  15. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write up , just the kind of info people want , I like the look of your shop :*sip* , what area does it cover ?
    Alfred_Bham likes this.
  16. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have an Africa Twin as well. I'm selling mine, sadly, to get this 450L or a KTM 500 :cry. C'est la vie.

I would love to see a couple of pics of the two side by side!
  17. Alfred_Bham

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!

The shop is 32’ x 44’

The Motorcycle work area is about 15’ x 15’
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That gps uses very little juice, no issue

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Mot...-Kit-for-GPS-III-V-SP-SPIII-176-176C-60-76-78
  19. Alfred_Bham

Oddometer:
    I’ll take a couple but my AT has been lowered a good bit as well!!
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    IMS went 3.0g (expands to 3.2 or so over time) and then 4.7 (5.1) on the WRR.

I expect the aprox same game plan for the big tank. They will probably use a Mikuni vacuum pump and lift fuel from the lower wings again.

A jump from 3 to only 4 is not enough for them to warrant a build. Expect larger, at least 1.5g more.

I have a 4.7 and marked each gallon fill line.
    For many rides I just fill to 3 or so gallons.
    For big remote rides I top it off.

The NVBDR has a 210mi section between stations so use that as a benchmark.

Safari will probably have a monster tank as the Simpson Desert etc requires 300+ miles of range.