1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda CRF500L Owners

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Scutty, Apr 16, 2017.

1. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    Regarding image hosting, I like imgur.com (but who knows if they'll ever be shitty like photobucket)
  2. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Hello Sock, I'm really sorry but my autistic nature made me open a build thread, I need that #4 slot else i'll start gasping for breath and loose the plot..!! My guess is your a really nice fella and will duly understand. Ive bought the bike and I think the guy has accepted my offer for the engine. Let's go for #5 and #6, #6 has to be from the UK though to create symmetry.
    Scutty I will give you a bell when i'm home for a run down of what I've got myself into ok.

Cheers Mez
    rrrnnn likes this.
  3. sock

sock tube

Oddometer:
    Glad to see more CRF500L's being built! I have all the parts in the mail and hoping to get started on it in the next couple weeks. You can have #4 it's all good!
  4. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm probably in for number 6 or so. Not really wanting to buy a new donor bike, and it seems like the folks selling used ones up here, aren't that serious and won't reply. Also need to sell a VStrom for seed money... And it also appears no one wants those. A couple more build threads and I'll feel like an expert before I get started building my own :thumbup
    rrrnnn likes this.
  5. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Oh... look what we've started...
  6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    the best route IMO is to buy a used crf250l , which can be had for about 3-4g and then buy a crashed cb500x/f or a cbr500r, or even that 500 rebel which if crashed can be had for 2-3G.

then just gut both the bikes, this probably the cheapest route and u know u will have all the required parts.

I know right buddy?

remember way back when it was just the two of us on thumper-talk haha.

what ever happened to ur crf250l engine (the bored/stroked 350cc one)
    rrrnnn likes this.
  7. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Sold that motor. Was a mean engine but the 500 is better.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  8. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Guys, I have a 'Brand New' flood damaged 500F bike to hand pick the bits off myself. Disregarding the main components that go to make the engine run (mainly electrics) are there any components that are not so obvious that I may overlook when i'm frenzying the carcus please...??? Also, which airbox to use, I thought I saw on the build threads that the standard 250 airbox is used with some custom help to make it fit..??
  9. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    the crf250l air box/airfilter is more then adequate to handle double the air flow of the new 500 twin. i run the stock air box with stock air filter.

yes, u heard me correct.
    all those people that think drilling holes or putting in those silly "high flow air filters" its all non-sense, complete horse shit. make absolutely no difference except for making your bike louder for no reason. and before someone contests me on this i dyno'ed my crf500L and it makes the exact same power as it would if my engine was still in a cbr....... anyone still dont believe me? go do a top speed run on any bike, then remove air filter, repeat, i guarantee u will get the same top speed.

as for the other bits, i kept the cbr500 right turn buttons, mainly because i wanted the hazard button.

fuel pumps look to be identical but i swapped them anyways, just in case.

did you get the key with this 500f? also does this bike use that HISSIS crap? if so u will need that.

i removed the MAF sensor as it didnt do anything, like it actully did nothing, i measured the voltage and it said it had none, so maybe mine was defective????

i dont know if ur keeping the cat/ air induction system/ air pump/ evap canister. i originally did, but then when i put my crf500L on a diet i saved about 15lb's of weight removing that stuff. but im a weight freak so yeah....

i also removed the kick stand switch, and rear brake light switch. again, personal preference.

hope this helps!
  10. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Look at the parts list.
    I used the 250 airbox with an aluminum adapter manifold.
    IMG_8126.JPG
    michaelkozera likes this.
  11. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Levi, looks like you've kicked the bucket, the 'Photobucket' same as Michael, nevermind...!!!

No keys with the bike, I can get two keys cut and programed at a reasonable cost though so that's not too bad considering the price i'm getting the engine for.

MAF sensor.....? I would of thought the ECU would almost definitely prefer seeing his college rather than AWOL..??? I have a boffin mate who's speciality is ECU issues on cars/ fueling see what he says.

Airbox.... Yeah should be a piece of cake making the adaptor from TB's to AB.

CAT and gubbins will definitely be going, I will run twin exhausts and include the lambda sensor but one question here guys or more so Levi cus you've got twin cans. Are you fitting a link pipe in the system..?? If yes, where is the optimum place to have it ?. Why have it ?. Would it be a good place to put the lambda sensor in the link section ?. What degree of difference will having the link section make to the exhaust note ? I'm not too experienced with parallel twins 1982 being the last time with a ratty old Z400 Qwackanackerzaggy, showing my age a tad there......

Rear brake switch might have to stay I think, a UK requirement not sure, it used to be, will check.

You know what, I keep asking questions then going back to reference them against your threads and find my own answers but sometimes laziness wins the day and you guys are quick and reliable so cheers for responding....!!!!

The 'Photobucket' issue guys ? Will it ever get resolved with regard to your threads or should you start another thread offering photographic help if you still have your pics on hardrive that is..??

Cheers Mez
  12. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Motherfucker...
    Well, I'll find another service and dump build pics in that.
    For now, I hope Photobucket enjoys going out of business. Screw your customers and they tend to go elsewhere.
    Redneck-Hippie likes this.
  13. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    I can see this is going to piss-off sooooooooo many folk not just on this site. WTF are they playing at...??
  14. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flip

If you have a UK 500 engine then you are going to need the ecu, dash, loom, ignition and keys all from the same bike. All euro bikes came with HISS and it is stupid expensive to replace one part from Honda.
    I used both handlebar controls from the CB, you will need to re-order one of the connectors. I used a brake pressure switch for the rear (see Levi's list). Also, i think you need to use the 500 fuel pump, it is certainly differemt to the 250 one but just swap the 250 fuel guage float over, very simple task and it will then work with the 250 tank.
    I did get a big box of old CB500 fixings, bolts etc which was very handy for mounting various parts..
  15. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry, i miss spelt it, its the H .I .S .S security system. my bike has a chip in the key/immobilization system but does not have H.I.S.S. some honda bikes do have it depending on what part of the world u live in. and its not as easy as just cutting and re-programming a new key. i dont know the fine details but i do know that u have to go to honda to do it.

this sensor, im pretty sure its called the MAF sensor.
    original-MAP-MASS-AIR-FLOW-PRESSURE-SENSOR-MAF-for-HONDA-CBR-500R-136200-2640-1362002640.jpg

sorry, nvm, turns out it is not a MAF sensor at all.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5501bce187a865115450c301/canister

its the purge controller for the evap canister, hence why it wasnt doing anything for me cuz i have no evp system lol. my bad.

i would put a "H" pipe somewhere in the system, preferably in the middle somewhere , perhaps just before/under the oil pan. the reason for the connection is for exhaust scavenging. aka, more liner power, better fuel economy and quieter exhaust. however the crf500l already has buttloads of power so i dont think it would matter too much, sound might be the biggest reason to do/ not to do one. but i cant comment of the sound, samtech might be able to.

as for the O2 sensor, O2 sensors should be placed inside the exhaust collector, however they can be mounted farther down if needed.

ask away man, i dont mind. im just glad to see ur bike coming together so well.

now with photobucket shitting the bed, i might make a new thread and just host the images here on advrider. or i might just go back and re-image everything.....

how much are they wanting to charge you? they want me to pay 400USD.

and yeah, this is gonna put them out of business for sure.
  16. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Hello Scutty, yeah got a complete bike to strip down, dropped on using UK parts finder. Its a flood damaged brand new bike from a Honda showroom somewhere but engine is fine. No keys were handed over so I guess there were dozens of bikes damaged and some insurance company handled the after event proceedings etc.... Two keys with a 24hr return service £220 plus postage, its a bummer but i'm getting everything I need from one bike and very cheap as well, I will have to go down and strip it myself which I kind of like being a tad fussy with organisation of parts and keeping things safely grouped for the rebuild..
    This Puppy is very excited indeed...
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i hate people like that, in that ad.

its only a "180 $" fix , but "i dont have the time".

like Jesus, its a 2 hr job and it will net you 1-2G more for the bike. i donno about that guy but my time is most certainly worth 1000$/hr lol.

make sure it runs first before you start stripping it haha.
  19. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Any comments a Cush drive , I believe an xr650r Cushis an easy fit.
    Is it needed?
  20. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Easy? If you have a lathe...