Honda CRF500L Owners

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Scutty, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    I added an H pipe to mine with the O2 sensor in it.
    The deal is that you want the termination of the H pipe right at 500mm from the valve to the opposite side. Think from the valve, down the pipe, across to the other side. Mine ended up just under the oil filter and still in the front of the skid plate.
    For this engine you want to shoot for 508mm primary, a 95mm collector and 508 secondary to the muffler. A duel exhaust with H pipe you want the primary to be considered from the valve to the opposite side termination. The secondary length is less critical but is 1.5x longer in a perfect world.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    X pipe it around the oil filter. :clap
  3. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Levi, sorry but you have completely lost me there with tech talk about the cross ( 'T' ) pipe. Can you explain again in laymans talk, I'm only a simple electrician/HV tech...!!! I want to get this part exactly right..!!

While i'm on here and this is crucial for me... I want to order the interlocking tube clamps from poly Performance. I would like to confirm with you guys what size you used/ordered..?? I'm looking at 1-1/4" outside diameter and 0.120" wall thickness ( kit ref: TRG-180096-KIT ).

@ Levi- I have just reread your quote of......... ( "For this engine you want to shoot for 508mm primary, a 95mm collector and 508 secondary to the muffler. A duel exhaust with H pipe you want the primary to be considered from the valve to the opposite side termination. The secondary length is less critical but is 1.5x longer in a perfect world" )
    so is that 508mm + 95mm from valve to opposite side or just 508mm ??
  4. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    That's the right part number for the ID tube clamps.
    You could probably get away with .095 wall. I used .120 because it bends better cold without crimping and it will take some serious abuse from bottoming.

If you do a crossover duel exhaust just ignor the collector length. Just 508 from the valve to the opposite termination. Your going out the valve and across the bridge. It's that connection that you want at 508. Then 762mm to the muffler.
    Mine is more like 880mm but it's really not critical at all. It's the primary length that matters more than anything.
  5. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Hi Levi, I'm just on Poly performance site now 'Live Chat'. There are 2 types of clamps, the trail tech ones or the 'Inside Diameter' ones available . They only have 3 of the Trail Tech ones in stock, typical..!! You went for the Trail Tech ones yeah..??

How critical are these lengths..?? I mean obviously some boffin has calculated the optimum lengths for efficiency etc yeah..??
  6. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Not sure what a boffin is but I cookalated the lengths a while back.
    I'm gonna build a whole new exhaust this winter when I down the bike for some freshing up.
    Little head work and some high comp pistons as well as a larger oil pan. Duals work fine and I've got mine tuned to the inth degree but I would say to watch the left side chain clearance and move the kickstand mount outward a bit to get the exhaust in tight with the frame.
    I'd show you but Photobucket has done us all so many favors as of late.
  7. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Just in time for the 4th of July... again...
    Fuck Photobucket. Here a shit load of stills and the US Marine Corp band!
  8. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Happy 4th July you gents stateside..!! Todays question is...... These interlocking tube clamps, when the finished tube goes to powder coating, do you mask off any faces ?? In other words, what is the tolerance fitment like on them.??

Levi... A 'Boffin' would of been the guy that wrote the formulae to work out the pulses from the engine and the effect each cylinder has on the next, heat, pressure etc etc , so on and so on.. and probably has a doctorate with letters after his name. 'Nerds' are folk like us who absorb this information, actually remember it and use it . Basically someone who knows his shit. I hover around the potential of being a 'nerd' but never quite get there, hence all these questions...!!1

One point Gents... I was looking at bringing the front tube sections outboard a tad, say 15mm-20mm either side from the line which is given by the original bttom 'take off' positions. There is a lot going on in that location and it wouldn't harm things with a little extra width for the exhausts which I think you just hinted at Levi above with the side stand comment.

I'm always thinking ahead with respect to fine detail, the link between TB and airbox, solid or hose & clips. I saw a shot in your above post and it showed a gap between the tubes sections. Did you weld it up to form a solid tube section or did you use some Samco pipes with hose clips..??

Its good you guys have pioneered the way on this build and I hope the info keeps coming like it is, thank you indeed...
  9. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Ah, yeah. I used silicon joiners with clamps.
    The reason it split where it is, is so you can work on it. If you loosen the clamps and take the top two sub frame bolts out, push down on the back or the subframe and the whole airbox rotates down, separating the runners and provides enough space to get to the screws that mount the other side to the throttlebody. With those out you can remove the whole throttlebody from the side.
    I try to build things that are actually serviceable. The airbox is a pretty tight arrangement and there's not much extra space to deal with things.
  10. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    happy 4th indeed,

altho im canadian so ours was on the 1st lol

what do u guys think of the new rally fairings? i painted them with bed-liner. and i added a wind deflector on each side, keeps wind off my traps/ stomach.

i was thinking of getting some decals made as its Little to much black i think. but i really like this new look. makes the bike look very agressive.

more pics will be in my thread!

20170703_202820_zps9p0kbqr0.jpg

20170703_202901_zps89g1xzjj.jpg

20170630_115649_zpsjiqukmuk.jpg
    rrrnnn and KayDubbya like this.
  11. sock

sock tube

Oddometer:
    I like the bodywork! I was planning on getting decals made that would look like the factory rally but instead say 500 Rally
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
  13. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    rrrnnn and Te Hopo like this.
  14. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    regarding image hosting, I really like imgur.

One advantage is they let you upload at a fairly large size and then insert a character before .jpg to set the size it displays at

h = huge (is about the same as michael's post above)
    l = large (more like medium)
    m = medium (small)
    s = small (tiny)

I've been using them for 3+ years now, no problems
  15. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Looking at Samtech's pic I see he had to turn up some spacers for the exhaudt manifold. Is there some issue with using the stock cb500 one ?
    Thanks
    Jon
  16. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Those aren't spacers, they're the flanges for the headers. Use the stock ones if you like. I just wanted 304 stainless as that's what I build the rest of the exhaust from.
  17. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    im using the stock 500 manifold. shorten by about 2" from the top to the collector, but not necessary to modify as samtech said.
  18. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Stage one is underway , just purchased a 2013 statutory write off with 11000 kms . Should be delivered next week
    Te Hopo and rrrnnn like this.
  19. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where y'all getting the wrecked bikes? Salvage auctions?
  20. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    In Australia there would be at least 5 x cbr500r auctioned each month on behalf of insurance companies , they are either SatuatoryWrite-offs , never to be re-licensed or repairable right-offs which once repaired can be relicensed.

A basic engine on eBay australia (2015 - 4000kms ) is around A$600.00

I think these bikes must be a favourite for new riders and lots of low km wrecks