Honda CRF500L Owners

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Scutty, Apr 16, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think both the exhaust and intake ID is already too big (stock).

remember, this a de-tuned 500twin. it makes around 100hp/L so no need to go crazy with the ID size. infact i would even argue that larger ID would slow air velocities resulting in poorer performance over all. and even if larger ID is done u probably wont benefit any unless ur screaming past 7,000rpm+ all the time.

infact, i welded several washers in my exhaust to reduce ID ( create/increase restriction) which intern increases air velocities. this slightly reduces peak power but it gave me way more Under the curve area. way more usable TQ and tractor factor.

^^ this is probably another reason my bike gets better feul economy when compared to the other crf500L's or the cb500/cbr500s. larger area under the curve = more TQ at any given RPM under 7k= better feul economy= more passing power in low gears.
    rrrnnn and flipflopdog like this.
  2. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    I have to order a new rear sprocket for the CRF wheel, 15 standard on front, i'm thinking 42 on the rear, one up from standard CB sprocket. Any quick fire input on gearing..?? I'm sure it's in your build threads somewhere just being a tad lazy.....

EDIT; just spotted earlier on this thread, so mixed opinions on gearing then, might go down the middle and get standard CB gearing (41T)..!!
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 500 twin has boat loads of tq. I've geared it as low as 15/38. Currently running 15/40. I use 15/44 for my off road wheels sometimes.

even with 15/38, still wheelies easily of obviously not geared too high.

It's really what u want from it.

If off road is ur primary use then 15/42 or more is good idea.

If highway is ur primary use then 15/38 would work just fine
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Ok, y'all want to make some noise and see if we can get Honda attention?
    Here's what you do.
    Leave a comment on this video that they should take my bike on a ride. Samtech79 or Levi, blah, blah, blah...

They get a lot of views and if we get a real CRF500L In one of their episodes, the rest of the world will give Honda some "encouragement".
    Shout loudly my minions!
    rrrnnn likes this.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Do you honestly think any company would build a bike like you have?
  7. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Yeah.
  8. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my part
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Do you wonder then why no one has done so by now?
  10. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Oh you mean like Kawasaki with the versys and yamaha with the T7?
    If you create demand, someone will fill it.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    T7 production bike hasn't been seen yet and the little Versys is nothing like your bikes other than it has a twin cylinder engine.
  12. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Ok Cruz, You're right. Nobody will ever build a mid size adventure bike. Nobody ever will have any motivation to deliver what the consumer wants.
    Thanks for clearing that up for us stupid people.
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    Cruz likes this.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    fwiw. The CB500 power plant is a perfect [only slightly heavier] replacement engine for the old skool 650cc class thumpers - I can totally see Honda using it in a KLR/XRL/DR style dual-sport machine in future...

However, I very much doubt they are going to undermine their current ADV flagship (the Africa Twin) by making a smaller lighter twin cylinder dual-sport until the sales of the Africa Twin have plateaued and started to decline.

There is also the [global] issue that the 650cc class dual-sport bike is a very small niche that really only appeals to large continental size countries like the US and Australia - and even then the sales figures are tiny compared to other model ranges. The XR650L only soldiers on because the development costs have long been recovered, and can be sold through grandfathering... (you'd never have an air-cooled carb-fed 650cc thumper meet current emissions standards for new vehicles).

Whether any mainstream manufacturer considers it worth introducing a modern replacement for a niche model like that is the question - although at least Honda already have that engine, and have already used it in a range of model styles.

So in the meantime you can keep waiting, or build your own... regardless of which frame you use ;o)

Jx
    Cruz likes this.
  15. sock

sock tube

Oddometer:
    Any input on why I'm getting a CEL code 86? I clear it but it comes back instantly. Some googling tells me it's a battery voltage issue like a bad battery connection but the battery connection is good, no other electrical issues, just the code. I'm getting 14.2v when running.
    Edit: I meant code 86 not 85
  16. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Is 86 the code you get when the dash loses power? I think that clears over time as i remember getting the same error. Did you unplug your dash at some point when the ignition was on?
  17. sock

sock tube

Oddometer:
    It's possible I unplugged it. I would think that after riding for 1000kms it would have cleared. I even did the jumper wire on the red plug thing to clear it but it comes back as soon as i turn the key. I'm still tinkering, no solutions yet. What's your battery voltage when running?
  18. Scutty

Oddometer:
    A very good question but i have no idea amd its 11pm here so im not going to pop out to the garage and find out. I really think this is an issue with the dash alone and not the battery. Try disconnecting the dash with the ignition off and see if it clears. Either way its not a serious error
  19. Scutty

Oddometer:
    The bike looks brilliant by the way, i am very jealous of the rally version!!
  20. sock

sock tube

Oddometer:
    Thanks scutty!
    Edit for anyone reading this later: I cleared the code by replacing the instrument cluster. The first one I bought from eBay must have been 'bad' even though it worked fine, the CEL was stuck on.
    Scutty likes this.