Honda CRF850L/ TransAlp 850

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cabanza, Jun 3, 2019.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Falp, Chillis, mitchxout and 2 others like this.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    mitchxout likes this.
  3. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring back the trans alp.
    Little Bike, neanderthal and Cruz like this.
  4. painkilla

painkilla MeTaL HeD

Oddometer:
    yeah..nah, i'll pass. Honda playing it safe again and 10 years late too the party
    DKCJ and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    There's too much history in the TransAlp name to not use that for this.
    cyclopathic, plumer1kt and drbuzzard like this.
  6. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Here's Honda perhaps making the unicorn, and it already has naysayers?

Honda has a 500cc parallel twin. There's potential for a 500cc twin, 850cc twin and 1100 cc twin in a future adventure bike line up. Yes, there's a CRF450L single which would be cutting it close to the 500, but we've y'all (not me. I wanted a biggish adv bike and I have one) been complaining about lightweight, smooth running, multi cylinder adv bikes for ages. Maybe they've finally heard us y'all.
    Kawidad, mitchxout and Amphib like this.
  7. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    But does the Transalp fit in the crf designation? I agree in honoring history like that, but maybe pull it out of the nc700...I think the 850 is probably honoring the africa twin better than the 1000.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I agree that they should call it the TransAlp. We’re due for another version. But does that mean it will be a softer version of the T7?
  9. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, to be attractive as a versatile ADV bike accessible to customers with variable skill levels, it would help to weigh 450-460 lb range fully fueled to compete with T7 and 790. If it weighs 480-490lb+, it will go the way of the BMW 850GS- that is, a less versatile, more street oriented ADV bike. I crossed the CRF1000L off my list quickly once the weight of that beast was published. Looking forward to see how they develop this bike.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  10. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The safe money bet would be on the 850 oriented as a road bike. Honda has always had a chip on their shoulder while trying to become the BMW of the east.
    Falp likes this.
  11. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fugly bike! :imaposer
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could get into this!
  13. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you want a lightweight, mid size, motorbike with excellent (off road) suspension, probably decent range (250 miles?) low- ish seat height? Close?
    Looks like a unicorn. Walks like a classically ballet trained duck billed platypus. Smells like a pegasus in fictional history from the future.

How much would you pay for it? (And that's really a question for all of you.) Considering the reasonably priced Africa Twin was lambasted for it's suspension, non replaceable subframe, lack of cruise control, and weight. Among others. If the AT was 50lbs lighter ($2000 more) had better suspension ($1000 more,) cruise control ($300 more,) completely defeatable offroad ABS ($100. It's just a switch in the ABS circuit but you know they'd charge an arm for that switch, with all the fingers!) and had a replaceable rear subframe ($50) would you (again, all of you!) not have complained that Honda was having a laugh pricing it's bike against the more powerful BMW and KTM? Or some other frivolous argument?

I'll concede that such a creation is completely within the wheelhouse of Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. But what would
    A be a reasonable price?
    B you willingly pay for such a thing?

I'm just throwing out numbers for devils advocates sake. It comes back to the whole "it's a good price but" argument that a lot of people said about the Africa Twin (if they didn't flat out say it was too expensive.)

The suspensions are there. The motors are 90% there. The seats, wheels, electrics, etc are all in their inventory. They really could make a parts bike just by using a lightweight aluminum frame and mostly in stock parts.

But CAD design costs money. Prototyping costs money. Durability testing costs money. Production machinery costs money. DOT certification. EPA certification. ECE certification. Marketing costs money. Focus groups cost money. Advertising costs money. Printing parts books, service manuals and tech training costs money. And of course there is the cannibalising of sales from other current models who's production machinery may be completely written off already. The opportunity cost as it were.

I'll end by saying this; if it was that easy they all would have done it by now.
    strommonster and Amphib like this.
  14. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m willing to pay KTM 790S to R prices. The 790 checks all the boxes for me, except for the fact that it is a KTM .
  15. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    like what, yamaha woke up sooner???

Because of that 1000cc flooding recent years many people lost interest in smaller cc anyway, especially when manufacture are treating them more like budget bike.

Anyway I don't like the idea, will be like with v-strom 250L, 650L, 850L, 1100L all looking the same LOL
    neanderthal likes this.
  16. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I came across an article awhile back, I'll dig it up if needed, but discussed the upping of displacement in regards to the 1100 as a way to not lose output while trying to conform to ever increasing emission standards. That said I'm not as much interested in hp numbers as I am about torque. If I hadn't bought my crf1000, I'd be seriously looking at an 850, wanting to compare t700, 790, f850gs. I've accepted I cannot yet have it all, and wish my 1000 wasn't so porky off road.
    No-Fret and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  17. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    This smaller AT is no unicorn. The one true unicorn is a 500 cc twin in ADV or dual sport trim. Why? Because the one true unicorn is a unique beast in a world of horses...a 500 cc twin would be unique especially if it was actually a lightweight, i.e. came from KTM.

Chances are this AT's forks will be f-ed up, too, and Honda will continue the "no problems here" treatment.

So in the meantime the bastard unicorn is the 790 ADVR if it doesn't take almost a decade to make it reliable like the 690R, or a T7 with Ohlins.
  18. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    I think the 790 will be relieable enough, if the p.twin motor proves itself.
    The wrapped tank might be fuel cooker, and if they don't use any left over 950 fuel pumps, life should be good.

AT...yeah..forks suck ass. With enough members input, ATAS outers seem like the cheap-ish fix.
    Ohlins is still not perfect. More on that later.
    T7 might be a contender if Yamaha don't get all mighty and special with their pricing.
    A well priced T7 with sorted ooooooooooohs and a proper rear shock? yep...could work!
  19. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    My bike CB500X with Rally Raid kit is best unicorn so far IMO. 450 lbs. 20190329_134117.jpg 20190329_134034.jpg Needs a bit more HP (48) but is reliable and takes me where my WRR and KLR have gone. 65 MPG with a 4.6 Gallon tank takes me far. Comfy on the freeway as well.
  20. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Honda actually did build a viable competitor to KTM/BMW/Triumph (meaning this generation level electronics, high quality and fully adjustable suspension, tubeless rims, reasonable engine performance, etc., and close in price (for equal performance I have to believe Honda's price point would be less just based on scale), I think a lot of people would buy it for the perceived Honda reliability and dealer support. (I sure would!). And there is little doubt that Honda could do it. But either Honda doesn't think enough people would, or they don't want to go head to head with the leaders- preferring to go against last gen bikes (for example, I maintain that the AT is the best 9x0 ever made :lol3, and I've owned a 950S and a 990 Dakar). Oh, and while they're at it-- use the tubeless 19/17 rims from the VFR1200X, either optional or standard: since they match up better with how most of the bikes will be used.