Honda CRM250R, Mark I.

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by A_Vasiliev, May 12, 2019.

1. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    While my Honda Giorcub project is in a seemingly-perpetual state of disassembly and waiting for parts or for me to get off my lazy ass and actually turn some wrenches on it, I have been feeling the bug to get something specifically off-road oriented for years now. When I was a kid growing up in Alaska, everything we did was off-road because there simply weren't that many roads to be on in the first place. Honda ATC three-wheelers, quads, dirt bikes - all spring and summer, and even most of winter if you didn't have a snowmobile, you were riding something meant for "off-highway use".

Despite my personal savings having experienced a bit of a hit due to kitchen renovations, being out of a job for around 8 months and living off my savings, and so on - I'm back on my feet with a new job and I decided it was do-or-die time to get a dirt bike. I had long been looking at various Chinese pitbikes and enduros but at one point I eventually decided one Chineseum powerplant at a time is enough for my fleet (at least until I get my GF some sort of pitbike to learn on :bluduh). So I went on the hunt for a Japanese enduro bike. My criteria - had to be affordable, had to be in good shape, had to be 2-stroke because ain't nobody got time for adjusting valves and replacing cam chains on some XR250R from the Mesozoic era.

First hit I got was a KDX 220 from the mid 90's. In photos it looked great, but we all know how that goes. I took a bus over to the guy's house who was selling it, he lets me into his garage and I start looking over the bike. Dude tells me the crank was just rebuilt with fresh bearings and seals. Everything looks fine, but then we fire it up and my heart sinks. It sounds like there's someone with a hammer smashing the cylinder every revolution of the crankshaft. I have never heard a rod/pin bearing sound so bad. It honestly sounds as if there ISN'T a piston pin bearing. I tell him about this and he is, obviously, quite upset at me raining on his parade. I tell him he should either invest in a gasket kit and take a look at it himself and fix it before something explodes, or he should sell it ASAP to someone too stupid to know what that sound means.

Next hit was a Honda CRM250R, made in 1989 - just like me! Photos also looked OK, but I wouldn't be fooled that easily! I drove out to the guy's house and we started looking at it. He was a really nice guy, very accommodating of my examination and requests to pull off half the bike. He said the wheel bearings were replaced but aside from that he hadn't touched much of anything as he wasn't a mechanic and it had always worked. That's a heartening thing to hear because at least you know it wasn't bodged with JB Weld and zip ties inside. One thing I saw right away was the brakes were absolutely neglected and it was borderline unsafe to ride as-is. The important thing was - the bike ran like a Swiss watch and didn't make any weird noises.

I had the guy drive it to my house a few days later early in the morning. We did the exchange and he left with his filthy lucre in hand, while I stood around grinning like an idiot. I had just bought a bike that was as old as I am for good money. I probably WAS an idiot, but damn it I couldn't say no.

NxsRycbZjR0.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I got it (seat removed for dramatic effect). The stickers were all faded and I don't particularly like fake "sponsorship" stickers anyway. I was all about that crap when I was 16 but now that I'm nearly twice that age, my tastes have changed a bit. So that stuff had to go.

pvIx68zJB1s.jpg

Cleaned her up a bit and she started looking presentable!

Next order of business - we've gotta do something about those brakes.

The front caliper was absolutely buggered - one piston completed seized, both pistons chipped and deformed, the seals shot. I did some part number research and it turns out that while nobody says it, slightly newer calipers from all manner of Honda CR's and XR's from the 1990's and out to 2007 and beyond will absolutely bolt straight onto the CRM fork and work just fine. So I ordered a very nice XR250 caliper from a 2004 or so bike and slapped it on.

wHkbToBjgsw.jpg
    IMG_20190424_151419.jpg
    Judging by the brake fluid that came out of the front and rear brakes, it had never been changed either.
    IMG_20190507_121700.jpg
    Some EBC brake discs were ordered to replace the 30 year old Honda OEM discs that were worn so thin, there were stress fractures around most of the outside of the discs from the cooling slot to the outer edge of the disc.

c2dFgQSMXOs.jpg
    Said discs were mounted along with some fresh sintered pads.

TOavj006YmQ.jpg

As you can see, the previous owner did a bit of a bodge job trying to re-cover the seat. I removed the radiator shroud decals (at this point only the forks have their ugly faded Castrol decals left, but those are coming off soon as well). I've ordered a reproduction seat cover from the UK in a different color, and am looking for a good place locally to get some reproduction decals made to order. I'm not going to give away the direction this build is going to go right away, but it'll become obvious at some point.

I also cut off the ancient fork boots, and was surprised to see the legs themselves in great shape. Fork boots will also be replaced, eventually.

On the list of mods I'm currently looking at:

1. I want to fab up a replacement silencer for the exhaust, as the stock Honda unit weighs a million tons and the more aggressive Mitas C18 rear tire I have mounted rubs on the side of it during full suspension compression. Thankfully I have a neighbor who TIG welds and skilled labor like that is extremely cheap here. I'll probably end up designing the silencer myself in Autodesk and have him fab it up for me.

2. Handlebars need to be replaced. I've already taken a few low speed crashes on this bike while getting used to riding woods again after more than a decade away from dirt bikes, and they were already bent when I got it.

3. New headlight unit that's not terrible. The stock Honda unit may have been OK 30 years ago but at this point it's almost more effective to just duct tape a flashlight to the bars.

4. Skidplate for the lower frame. The previous owner already made sort of bodgy expansion chamber protector out of aluminum sheet, so that's sticking around - it's actually quite useful despite looking pretty jank.
  2. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mikeysduck and A_Vasiliev like this.
  3. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    Little sneak peek into what's been shaking with the CRM lately. I spent a few hours taking photos of decals and turning them into vectorized scaleable graphics, got the bits laser cut out of vinyl, and assembled these repro decals by hand. Unfortunately the vinyl guys messed up my left side rad shroud decal but it's getting fixed and should be reapplied soon. Number plates and fork leg decals soon to come! And I've got a reproduction seat cover coming from a small shop in the UK to replace my tore up cover.

2M3GJX-qSPs.jpg
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  4. getonyourbikeandride

Oddometer:
    The 1989 Honda wing and 250 on the shrouds is all white...
  5. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    Yes, and I absolutely hate the 1989 graphics and overall "look" of the bike (too much goddamn red), whereas the 85-87 were the pinnacle of Honda CR styling.

I've got a blue 1986 repro seat cover coming as well to go with the 1986 pattern decals here.
  6. getonyourbikeandride

Oddometer:
    Well the only difference besides the r/w/b wing is the blue seat (and blue fork gaiters but it had the wonderful cartridge 43mm conventional fork)...that's it. I like them both personally. If those blue changes equal pinnacle for you fantastic! 1989 was a generational beginning for Honda (the low boy era and inverted forks) so I'm proud to have mine in '89 livery. Your CRM is equiped slightly differently.

89 CR250 ad.jpg
  7. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    I'd love to find a set of period-accurate CR250 forks and a rear shock to replace the softer units in the bike now. Dunno if that's in the cards at the moment. Eventually I'd also like to get gold Excel rims for the cherry on the red/blue look.
  8. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    Lots of little upgrades have happened to the bike so far. I did some maintenance to the cooling system - flushed out the old gunk (of which there wasn't that much), did some vinegar and distilled water flushes, and put some Ipone fluid back in to the proper level. The level gauge on the overflow tank is opaque and spidered with cracks, it's 30 year old plastic after all, so I'd love to replace that with something I can actually look through, but I somehow don't think that's in the cards for a 30 year old rare bike.

IMG_20190519_154851.jpg

I also got a set of Pirelli MT16 Garacrosses in the mail a few days ago. I ordered the 110/100 size for the rear because my 120/90 Mitas rubs up against the silencer each time the suspension compresses. The tires that were on there still have some life in them but they're so old (the Mitas is a 2012 production tire :uhoh) that I don't think they're much use anymore. I'm not tossing them out, but I doubt I'm going to use them much anymore.

IMG_20190522_171146.jpg
    Eagle-eyed readers may notice that I've also taken the garbage pleather "seat cover" the previous owner slapped on there off for the time being. My seat cover should be here tomorrow or Friday, so the red CRM unit will get taken off soon too, but even the slightly stained and cracked 30 year old Honda cover is miles away from the garbage the PO did. He even used glue to hold the pleather on the seat cover, so I had to spend an hour or so with turpentine rubbing residue off the seat cover. Oh yeah, and I put a new air filter in. Apparently I didn't squeeze enough of the filter oil out of it before installing, because I came out the next day and there was a stream of blue goo leaking from under my side cover. :bluduh

Other things of note - I was in the local motoshop and what do I see before me? A set of royal blue fork boots, just like the ones I need. And these Ariete ones are half the price of the ones on Webike and eBay, and won't take a month to get to me in the mail! Win-win-win. The only issue - not enough ventilation holes. Used a holepunch to put a few extra breathers in the boots so they don't get stuck in the compressed position after the suspension rebounds. They kind of sound like a wet fart every time I go over a bump though. Might need more breather holes still.

Time to buy a set of bars that aren't bent, pull the carb off for a proper cleaning and once-over, and maybe order a set of replacement reeds, and I daresay I'm done for the time being. While changing the tires I did notice a few spots of pretty serious corrosion on the inside of the rear rim. You can't see it from the outside but the aluminum in those places is pretty much toast. Ah well, I've been meaning to find an excuse to get some gold Excel rims for this bike, and that'll do I suppose. Still, I don't have the money or desire to unlace wheels when I could be riding, so I hope it'll stay together for the rest of this riding season, and in the wintertime - I'll have plenty of time for a rebore, new piston, maybe new clutch plates, whatever else needs to be done, and new rims and spokes too.

IMG_20190522_175515.jpg
    See you in the woods!
    mikeysduck likes this.
  9. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a quick update - seat cover has arrived. The foam is currently sopping wet because there was a freak thunderstorm right when I went to the post office, so I was riding home in a torrential downpour. I'll start mounting it tomorrow.
  10. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    Some photos I took of the seat mounted up and trimmed today, gussied up with a filter that reminds me a lot of old photos from the 80's. The fork boots aren't the same shade of blue as the seat but I honestly don't really care that much.

Needs some gold Takasago Excel rims... and maybe a CR250 airbox and sidepanels instead of the CRM one mounted... and some number plates. And maybe a white headlamp assembly (this one is knackered anyway).

IMG_20190524_174226_071.jpg
    IMG_20190524_174226_069.jpg
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many cool points. Do I see blinkers?
  12. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    You saw blinkers for a while, before I took them off. I need a rear light unit, and the rear blinkers were lost to time at the moment I got the bike, plus the left hand control array (turn signals, lights) is in really bad shape, so I took the front blinkers off for the time being as I don't use them anyway. When I go about getting this thing street legal (if I do) I'll put some lower profile blinkers back on.

Thanks for the compliment!
  13. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    A short little update: I've been mostly riding the bike and not doing any sort of work on it, so no real news there. I'm slowly but surely amassing tools and knowledge for the inevitable enormous project that'll begin in early fall when I park the bike and begin the teardown and restomodding in earnest.

Important things of note:

1. I've already changed the oil in the fork legs. There was about 100ml missing from each leg and the oil was a dark brown sludge. Most likely the original Honda factory oil from 1989. The fork is a little more progressive but still just as plush.

2. The rear suspension linkage has developed a bit of slop. I've seen online that you can swap on swingarms from other model CRMs onto the MK1, because the MK1 has a nonrebuildable (supposedly) rear shock and it's a weird size. I'll look into the possibility of a rear suspension swap, because the rear shock is very soft. I may need some help if anyone happens to have access to a CR250/CR500 rear shock from the same approximate years as the CRM (1988-1989, maybe early 90's as well).

3. I'm building a handmade leakdown tester for the engine, and I'll be getting a proper compression tester as well as some micrometers and such for proper measurements of shafts and such.

4. I've found some places locally that do cylinder boring and honing - we'll see what my stock cylinder looks like. The piston has lived long enough and it's absolutely time to retire it, I just wonder how badly ovaled the cylinder is and how much boring it'll take to get it back to round. In the plans is putting new crank bearings in as preventative maintenance, new seals, possibly new rod bearings if I can find a place to press out the crankshaft and then back together and balance it. The piston will be replaced with a forged Wiseco piston from a Honda TRX250R quad, dimensionally it's identical except for needing a YZ250 pin bearing as the piston pin is a millimeter or so smaller in diameter. If the connecting rod is in bad shape, there's a known bodge job for CRM's - you take a 90's KTM 250 rod (0.5mm shorter than the CRM unit), a Wiseco crank pin for a YZ, different rod bearing to make up the 1mm diameter difference, and use the TRX piston (and deck the bottom of the cylinder by 0.5mm or just use a very thin base gasket).

5. The balancer shaft on these bikes is a big weak point - I'll have to check if it's been too badly worn to continue to be used. If the shaft itself is badly worn I'll probably just toss the balancer and run it like the Japanese enduro racers do, without the balancer. If it's salvageable I'll replace bearings and pray that it stays in good shape.

6. Hopefully the clutch basket is in good shape as well as there as basically no replacement clutch baskets for this bike. Plates should fit from the XR250/400/600 series, so a new clutch pack is in the cards along with a new cable.

7. I've got a throttle cable coming, I'll be modifying it (shortening the free cable length) to properly work with my new PWK35 carb. It would be a much easier job if I wasn't running the oil pump, but it's just too convenient to disable and go back to running premix.

8. I want to order a CR250 or CR500 silencer from FMF or ProCircuit, one of the longer ones so it's not ear-splitting, to replace the cast iron Honda silencer. It's incredibly heavy. The expansion chamber itself I will most likely keep stock, I will be sandblasting and refinishing it though.

9. I'm still debating the benefits of going to a CR250 airbox. I'm not sure what else will need to be modded to make that work, supposedly the subframes are also different and if that's the case then I'm likely going to pass because swapping subframes is just too much hassle for me. I really do like the idea of not using the CRM sidepanel - mine is cracked and it does double duty as the airbox cover, so you can't just toss it out and use a different side case.

10. I might need to pick up an MK2 airboot - they tossed the boost bottle starting with the MK2 and it's just one less place for an air leak to potentially develop.

11. CR250 front forks?

12. Fresh rims and spokes are a must. I really want them to be gold to fit the Factory Honda theme. I'll settle for DID Dirtstars in gold if I can't afford to get Excels. It would be nice to have Excels though.

I'll leave you with a photo:
    [​IMG]
    Pezz_gs and mikeysduck like this.
  14. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    As parts slowly begin arriving at my door, I've sat down with my trusty vector graphics editor and made some number plate backgrounds for the stock front headlight shroud/fairing and side panels on the CRM. I got them cut out of matte vinyl in 2 different colors (yellow and white) because I've seen pictures of 80's CR's with both colors that I've liked. Both sets cost me something like $15 to get made. I hope the shop that made them made them true to size.

Throttle/oilpump cable should arrive soon, so I'll start work on modifying that to make it work with the PWK35 carb.

[​IMG]
    mikeysduck likes this.
  15. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    New throttle/oil cable arrived on Friday, I was out riding yesterday, so I just now got a chance to do what needed to be done. Took a little while to get the actual end of the cable soldered just right and filed down to size, but here she sits finished. I tore my repro seat cover yesterday after a clumsy get-off so I'm treating that as a message from a higher power that I need to stop fooling around with the bike and start actually working on the restoration. From the look of it, a Honda XR250 seat pan looks very similar to the CRM one, so I might grab one on the off chance that it will fit. I'll try to get my GF to take a pattern off the seat cover and make me a replica of the replica out of some more durable material. I'll lose the silk-screened text on the side but if it's more survivable against my motoboots - I'm OK with it. And then get a proper seat cover to use on a different seat pan as a "show piece" that won't get dirty and ripped.

[​IMG]
  16. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shall be watching this thread with interest. I have a MkII in NZ.

Be wary of using CR parts, their is very little that is compatible between the 2 bikes. Certainly the case for the MkII anyway.

CRM aficionados reckon the MkI is the best woods bike out of all models, the most agile, anyway. Also be aware they were designed as road bikes capable of trail riding. It's easy to find the limits.

I have a shock from a 98 XR 250 on mine, bolts straight in but the gas reservoir is larger and difficult to mount without rubbing the tank or frame. I'm doing a bit of research for an aftermarket shock. I spotted an XR with Ohlins last weekend! Probably out of my price bracket and rarer than hens teeth.

This is a good resource. CRM250.com

Change your gearbox oil often!
  17. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes! In Canada we never received the CRM's. But, we did get the 1990 Yamaha DT200R. I have had fun with my DT for many years now.
    @A_Vasiliev Sometimes you can rebuild a shock when it is referred to as "not rebuildable". I believe it is because there was no way to add nitrogen. But, if you drill a hole for a schrader valve, it will work. Look up Jamie Daugherty. He is in the United States. He "makes" shocks using OEM Honda shocks from a different model. He can revalve and rebuild all kinds of shocks. I believe he would be able to advise you. P_20190904_121213.jpg P_20171007 DT200R.jpg DSCN0611.JPG
  18. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Lovely pics. I have a DT 230 Lanza sat next to my CRM.

I put WR 200 jets into the DT, terrible for fuel consumption but goes like a cut cat. Only reason I did it was the 230's run lean as standard and a few nipped up at sustained high speed / revs.
    gt750 likes this.
  19. A_Vasiliev

Oddometer:
    Hi all, thanks for the comments in the meantime - I was a little busy from about October to January and didn't have a chance to work much on the bike. However that's all changed and I have started to really work on it in earnest.

I got a new workbench top, it's a reclaimed piece of 25mm thick plywood I got for essentially free from a local guy. I keep buying new tools at the local King Tony dealer.

IMG_20200208_165538.jpg

I also bought a pegboard to hang up my tools. The workshop is finally taking on the form of something I'm not embarrassed to be seen in.
    4yq1rxaBAxY.jpg

Can you guess which of these nuts was under the powervalve housing and therefore couldn't be accessed with a proper socket, got stripped out, and then needed me to hammer the shit out of it with a chisel and punch to get it off?
    RyPdTYf7wMo.jpg

Pulled off the cylinder, measured the cylinder. I'm a little rusty with snap gauges and micrometers, but based on my measurements the cylinder was worn in a slight egg shape - front to back clearance was 0.05mm over spec, side clearances were no more than 0.015mm or so. All in all cylinder is in really good shape. I'll be having it overbored and installing a Wiseco 66.25mm piston, aka 1st oversize.

jwxw0JIQTHY.jpg

Pulled the clutch pack off. The clutch also appears to be in pretty good shape. The basket has some slight grooving going on, but those should polish out.

X68bh6FGXhQ.jpg

I finally managed to pull the bastard bearing shells out of the suspension linkage. The one of the inner bores of the linkage suffered a bit, but I'll try to clean it up with some fine sandpaper. Does anyone think that's a potential issue? Am I better off just looking for a good condition linkage from something else (or another CRM linkage)?

I've also got the frame drained of all oil, all the oil injection lines and hoses removed. Most of them will be blocked off as I am going with premix instead of oil injection. Frame needs some serious TLC, ideally I'd like to get it powdercoated. I'd do it myself but I can't really afford to build a curing oven for such a large item.

i8IS-7Jcz2w.jpg WnFWhlA5ahs.jpg

I also bought a sandblasting gun in order to try out soda blasting. I did run into a slight snag in that my compressor doesn't have a water trap, so the air coming out is pretty wet and that causes the soda to clump up in the gun. Once I get that figured out it should work great - even only working like 30% of the time, I was able to clean up this waterpump cover of all the old paint and some of the oxidation. I imagine when I get everything working good, I'll be able to use it pretty well.

21VToiEmSLI.jpg

As it stands, the thing I'm mostly worried about is the crank bigend bearing, because nobody is selling NOS cranks for these engines anymore, and aftermarket cranks don't exist. The only replacement rods you can find are from Aliexpress, and if you don't want a Chinese rod in your bike, then you need to put together some sort of frankenstein crank out of a KTM 300 rod, YZ250 bearings and a Honda TRX250R/ATC250R piston, and get your cylinder base decked by 1mm, because the KTM rod is 1mm shorter. I'd like to avoid having to do that if I can. Based on my dial indicator I couldn't find ANY axial play in the big end bearing, but I don't know if I can trust my method, so I'm going to wait until the engine is split and the crank removed before I can draw conclusions.

CR plastics seem to be similar, except for the side number plates (due to the different airbox design). Also the carb boot and reed valve block from a CR250 should bolt straight on - I plan to convert the bike to premix so I'm probably going to go with a CR250 boot so it doesn't have the oil injection nipple.

I had no idea XR250 shocks bolted up. That's on the MK2, which is a different setup than the MK1, though. MK2 rear swingarm and shock should fit on the MK1 but I believe the top shock mount needs to be relocated a bit.

After reading up on the local enduro forums here in Russia it seems like some people have disassembled the MK1 rear shock. The problem is that the actual guts, with the sealing bits and piston heads and such, are not serviceable. Nobody sells kits, they are not made to be disassembleable. The report I saw, the guy basically had to punch the head of the piston apart as it was a press-fit stamped thing, and after replacing the O-rings and such he had to reassemble it the same way, by essentially peening it back together. I'd like to avoid having to do that, if possible. There's already a Schrader valve in the end of the reservoir for the nitrogen charge, so that's not the problem.

That's the story so far. I'll post more when I have it. Thanks for reading!

jHlKZkuz9hA.jpg
    Harvey Krumpet likes this.
  20. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already, check out the UK CRM forum I posted above. It's pretty quiet but I get the impression that's because they have reached the end of CRM knowledge and tinkering. You might be lucky and score some bits to make the re-build easier.
    Certainly worth a look and a post if you see something of interest. Lots of info on the differences between the models.

Nice to see you posting again!

Oh, maybe a little motivation. I entered a Vinduro (Vintage Enduro) on mine awhile ago. My team mate was riding his 81 PE 400x. We had a great day and the CRM never missed a beat. Poor bike copped a bit of a beating because I can't ride for shit but it started every time and absolutely flew in the open areas of the enduro. Decent jumps did not bother the XR shock too much. Best days riding I have had in a long time, 80kms of :ricky