HONDA CX650 Turbo..

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sfladvrider, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
    my buddy let me ride his cx650 turbo .... It is the funniest bike i have had the pleasure of riding. as soon as the turbo spools up i had a grin from ear to ear

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  2. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boost is a wonderful thing. I have a GPz 750 Turbo and it also gives quite a rush once you hit between 5000 and 6000 RPM.

As I understand it the CX500 turbos were a bit of a dog, but the CX650 was a huge improvement. It's a shame that once Honda got things figured out the factory turbo bike craze had run its course.

If it could ever be called a craze. There were never many around.
  3. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    I vote to bring back the turbo!
  4. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 What's ******width?

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure anything that included the Z1R TC could be called a "craze"

[​IMG]
    FJ Fun likes this.
  5. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I Purchased one new way back when. Big fun on the boost, nice power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear, very comfortable, capable anywhere. Had enough vibration to give it some character.

Peter Egan had a nice article in Cycle World not to long ago about the factory Turbo bikes. He had a chance to ride them all.

Said the CX was the only one comparable to a modern bike.

BTW sfl... Is that the actual bike you rode? It sure is beautiful.
  6. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy had a CX500, and it was also a very capable bike. I had a CBX at the time and it made for interesting conversations at gas stops when we were out together.

To my eye, the shape / styling of the turbo holds up very well in the modern era. A little blingy for my taste w/ the some of the badges, etc., but the overall shape is there.
  7. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always lusted after one of those way back when.

But...jeez...the graphics guys went a little nuts on the TURBO stickers. We get it! It has a turbo!

Cakeeater
  8. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to own one of these and passed it up in favor of a sensible Goldwing that I ended up hating. I regret that choice more than most bad decisions I've made over the years.
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

IIRC It was the other way around. I think the 500 was the one to have and they somehow messed up the 650. I heard the 500 was (in those days) a rocket ship while the 650 was dialed back. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.

If you think the 650 looks odd, the 500 has not as nice of body colors + gold accoutrements.
  10. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. They bumped the compression, added displacement and did some other refinements that made the 650 significantly better, faster and more responsive (off and on boost) than the 500.
  11. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in some backwoods motorcycle dealersip in Louisiana around 2003 and they had a brand new cx650 turbo on the show room floor. I asked the guy about it. He said it never sold, after a while it became kind of a joke/novelty having it still on the floor. Then, after another "while" it became collectible and not for sale. I would imagine that it is still there. It looked as pristine as the one in the first post.
  12. thatdirtykid

thatdirtykid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's half the fun of the 80s turbo craze. My mitsubishi turbo is sweet when it comes to graphics. I just wish I had the later mirage/colt turbo interior. (Cannot find suitable picture but even the seats are printed with the word turbo in the pattern.
  13. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really think the turbo's should come back to OEM bikes. Not the liter sportbikes, they have enough power as is. I want them on the smaller bikes like the ninja 250 and others. I think it would be awesome to ride around on a small, lightweight bike with a punchy engine character. A properly sized modern turbo has the best of both worlds; great power, easy to use power delivery, and great gas mileage. Just look at how all of the auto manufacturers are turning to FI to achieve the power requirements that the customers want with the good gas mileage too. That's what I want!
  14. tiki01

tiki01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! It looks to be in really good condition too.
  15. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
    no thats not the picture , but it looks just like it no scrathes on 4,000 miles

he had another one and has a cx500 and alot more
    [​IMG]:evil:evil

16. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the CX 500 Turbo (back in the days of mechanical waste gate tech) had too abrupt a "step" when the boost came on. Without modern digital gate controls, the way to reduce the step (up to the boost) was to add 150cc, still a step not a ramp, but they raised the bottom step.
  17. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode them back to back and man what a differance ... the lag in the 500 is terrible up till 3rd gear even then. throttle....boast build up.........................annnnnd ....power.

18. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your friend is in possession of a Very Serious Garage.
    FJ Fun likes this.
  19. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the 500 and it was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. Very comfortable, brilliant fairing and it went pretty well too. The boost was a bit slow to build up and the turbo did kick in hard with the most amazing clatter from the engine - and it took off. I ended up selling mine in 1987 as the electrics were flakey and parts were impossible to get locally as so few were ever imported. At the time it came out (mid '82) it was perhaps the most expensive road bike in Australia - $6500 OTR, when a Kawasaki Z1000 was under $4000. I replaced it with a 1st model CBX1000.
  20. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish they would bring back the turbos. The automotive market is bringing them back. Really wish the ford three cylinder 1l Ecoboost would be in a bike