HONDA CX650 Turbo..

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sfladvrider, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Something like a current CB500F/R/X would be a great bike with a turbo.

Done properly, it would still do 70MPG and I'd aim for 60-65hp (from the
    current 47hp rating). That would be fun!
  2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Behold...The turbo 'Busa of the '80s.

:lol3

All these boosted bikes must kill it at altitude. It'd be funny to see a boosted WR250X just leave a 690SM going up I-70 out of Denver.
  3. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
  4. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant idea! Someone tell that one to Honda! The 500 series looks like just the ticket for those of us who want a lightweight all-rounder, & I applaud Honda for the effort. The giant fly in the ointment is the HP number, aimed at euro beginners. I understand the reasons & see where Honda is going with it, but....

If Honda would slip a modest turbo with modern waste gate tech on that little bad boy & boost it to 60 HP, it would be my next bike for sure. I'll wager it could be done with very little modification & come in within a $1000 of the standard machine.
  5. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're right Jim. My dad test rode for Honda. He said the only way to ride the CX500 turbo was to keep it at 5000 RPM or above. One of his friends and a test rider was killed when the turbo "kicked in" going around a sweeper. He was riding preproduction bikes and to this day that was one of his favorites.
  7. jazzmans

jazzmans fickt euch

Oddometer:
    My 500 (non-turbo) is absolutely a joy to ride, and is as fast, and more nimble then my CB750. The CX motor is a stressed member, so it's dead simple to pull the moter, plus it handles well.

I'd love, repeat, LOVE to ride a turbo'd 500, or better yet, 650.

I've considered finding a plastics wrecked st 1300 and stripping it to the bone to make it emulate a cx.

IF honda would make a brand new cx500 or 650, turbo or non, I'd sell my left nut for one.

Seriously.
  8. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Captain Fantastic

Oddometer:
  9. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Sorry.
    :evil
  10. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My personal taste would like a smaller front tire, but that's remarkably good-looking, especially with how blah a lot of those japanese 80's "factory cruiser" bikes can be.
  11. Fboldcrow

Fboldcrow Take time to smell the roses. ATGATT!

Oddometer:
    Going after the early BMW look.
  12. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on vacation two weeks ago in and visited a little bike museum that is upstairs at the Harley dealer in Colorado Springs.. I figured it would be all HDs and such but was suprised to find among the old American bikes a Honda CBX and 650 turbo, both with less than 10 original miles on them and looking brand new...Wonder how much it would take to pry them loose from their Pirate prison?:D
    FJ Fun likes this.
  13. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these used, in '85. Very low miles and in immaculate shape. Came with a DG tank bag and the complete service manual binder.

I rode it all over Alberta, BC, and Washington state, with nothing but the tank bag and a backpack strapped to the pillion for luggage -- ahh, to be young again!!!
    It made a very nice 'sport' touring bike -- really nice riding ergo's. And it came with it's own hand-warmers too; you could reach down and grasp the head on each cylinder to 're-heat' your gloves.

The engine was bullet proof, and the only weak component was the timing chain. The bodywork and paint was typical '80's Honda -- flawless.
    I think Honda made some of their best bikes from the late seventies and throughout the eighties.

When this bike came out, Honda had something like an excess of 100 new patents on the technology -- for early '80's it was pretty cool; fuel injected, liquid cooled, turbo-charged, shaft drive, air suspension, anti-dive forks, etc.
    Servicing the bike was dead simple, even the foam air cleaner element was easy to get to.
    Big tank too, and it needed it, 'cause it got horrible mileage.

A tad heavy for a 650 though, but it did crank out 100 hp and you could easily keep up with the liter bikes.
    Brakes were typical '80's, like warm butter, and you really had to get off the throttle early, especially when riding light-to-light. The turbo kept spinning even if you backed off the gas so engine braking, if there was any, was no where to be found.

The chassis tended to get 'stiff' under acceleration and you really had to use body language to hustle it through the curves.
    And the fuel injectors made the bike at idle sound like a sewing machine, but once you got underway you were seduced by the whirring turbo and v-twin exhaust -- making the 'jump to hyper-space' was always entertaining. :lol3
    EricD10563 likes this.
  14. Goggles Paisano

Goggles Paisano La Muerte Peluda

Oddometer:
    This is a quality post! Someone get on it!
  15. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ehh who am I kidding? They'll still find a way to screw it up, especially if it comes from Honda :rofl
  16. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tubos went away when they did due to a combination of things such as limited technology at the time and poor advertising but, the death-knell was a news report called Killer Bikes that discussed the new generation of bikes and the incredible power and speeds they were capable of which cast a bad light on them and then the insurance companies either jacked the cost up or wouldn't insure them at all.
    Kawasaki was actually gearing up for a race series with their turbo bike the GPz750Turbo aka ZX750E1 & E2. The Kawasaki was actually detuned when it turned-out it was faster than their new GPz900 they were preparing to release.
    There is nothing like a turbo-bike! The difference between a turbo-bike and a regular bike is like the difference between a car and a top-fuel dragster! I really miss mine! Hopefully, in a few years I'll be able to build another and re-live the fun!
  17. bobivey

bobivey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 1982 I had a new GS1100, stopped by my dealer in early 1983 and they showed me a Suzuki XN85D. Told me crazy TURBO power, weight of a 750 power of a 1100. Race bike handling with the 16 in front wheel.

Gimmee, Gimmee, Gimmee

Trade in done I rode away happy as a clam at high tide.

Reality: weight of a 750, power of a 650
    Race bike handling: 16 in front wheels did nothing

When the bike was cold and you warmed it up on the stand condensation would pour from the exhaust, looked like a little pool of pee underneath the bike.

Sent it down the rode a year latter
  18. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XN85 was probably the worst example of them all.....
  19. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! The XN85 was a beautiful bike but, a terrible performer! Not even on par with the CX500. The CX650 was a good bike for travelling but, the alternators (in the middle of the engine!) tend to fail every 30,000 miles or so. The Seca650 Turbo was underwhelming but, fairly reliable with good wind protection but, not really good at anything. The Kawasaki had the most power and the best handling and is very easily modified for BIG power! The bike actually comes with a "race mode" that is easily activated and allows you to run more boost. Mine was heavily modified and ran 24psi of boost which translated to over 200RWHP. Lots of fun! 5th gear is like 1st on a normal bike! Anyone wanna donate funds so I can build another!?
  20. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my GPz750 Turbo as a leftover back in the spring of '86 from a now-defunct dealership in Canastota, NY. At the time the owner of the dealership had an 84 Turbo he had set up for drag racing. It was a thing of beauty, all jet black, long, low, and mean.

I've thought about putting mine into race mode, but it's plenty fast enough the way it is. I do wish it were a bit more comfortable. The ergos on the 650 look to be better, more "sport-tourer" and less "sport". Course, I've had it for almost 30 years and what I want in a bike now isn't what I wanted then. Back in the day I thought it was perfect.