HONDA CX650 Turbo..

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sfladvrider, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get aftermarket seats for the turbo which makes a huge difference! Bar risers are a bit more difficult due to the design of the clipons but, I'm sure it can be done. I found mine to be quite comfortable for long rides.
  2. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll always miss my Black Betty. CX500Turbo, best motorcycle I've ever owned :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually the ZN-85 was not the worst of the bunch. Most period tests of the turbo bikes claimed the Suzuki was the best handling bike of all of the turbo's...it's biggest downfalls were that Suzuki was at the start of working on the upcoming GSXR, only a handfull were made, and almost no marketing took place. Most people have never seen one, and most dealers didn't get one to sell. Most people never even knew they existed...I wanted one back then (my local dealer had one), and still do.

My brother owned a Kawasaki 750 turbo (bought new and I rode it quite alot) and while it was hands down the fastest (great, great fun in a straight line), it simply handled like a pig compared to many, many other bikes at the time. My 84 Suzuki GS 550 ES would quickly dissapear from it once you hit any corners...in any event though, I'd still like to have one.

The Honda 650 was always regarded as the #2 bike because of it's lack of performace vs the GPz but it did earn the best all around bike honors consistently. It was very gaudy however even at the time...I would've loved to have one.

The Yamaha was a half hearted, "me too", effort at best. And while it was good at sport touring it did nothing especially well and seriously lacked power...a stock XS 650 Seca was just as fast due to much lighter weight and better power off boost...I really wanted one of these too, because I loved the looks at the time. Not so much now.

The Honda 500 was always tested as the worst of the turbo bikes...not enough power, too heavy, too much turbo lag, and too expensive. But, then again ALL of the turbo's were too expensive...never wanted one. In 1982 I wanted a Seca 550, 650, 750, or XJ550 Vision, GS 550 Katana instead.

I had all of the tests during the period and they ranked like this.

1. Kawasaki
    2. Honda 650
    3. Suzuki
    4. Yamaha
    5. Honda 500

The TC1 was not a factory offering (even though there was some degree of factory assistance) so it's not the same animal as the others.

All of this said, I'd love to pick up a clean example of of a Kawasaki, Honda 650 or Suzuki. If I could ever win the powerball I'd have one of each...in my collection.

Of course YMMV.
  4. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one friend with two XN85's which are probably the nicest and most funtional ones around after mucho dinero being spent on both and another friend just sold his heavily modified TC1 to another friend. Low 8's in the quarter and 220-something at Bonneville! I'll probably get another Kawasaki Turbo in the future but, if I were to have to take another of the turbos, it would be the CX650. I think my friend sold both of his and now has two FJR's set-up for Iron-Butt rallies.
  5. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arguably, the 500 Turbo was the most fun, in the ways of: "Holy *****!! when the boost kicked in, though. :eek1

It was like a giant Stay-Puft marshmellow version of my RD350 LC :lol3

And being the very first, I think Honda did a damn fine job. :D

except for the thrice damned frying stators *grumble grumble*
  6. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turbos went away because the motorcycling public, the journalists, and the manufacturers all did a collective head slap; suddenly realizing that a big, normally-aspirated engine made the same power as a smaller turbo-charged engine without the expensive turbo, without the associated bulky turbo plumbing, and especially without the turbo lag.
    bikemoto likes this.
  7. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo.

Cakeeater
  8. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my Turbo out for its yearly stretch on Saturday.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594657&page=129

The comments about the GPz being a straight line bike are pretty much spot-on, but changing to Battleax BT45's has made a dramatic improvement in the handling department. She's a bit twitchier than before but I can flog it hard in the corners without feeling like I'm trying to run whitewater in an ocean kayak. I rode with 3 others who are all better riders than me and we hit some pretty twisty roads, but I never felt like I had to wrestle it through to keep up.
  9. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    I have owned two of the Honda 650 turbo bikes. One had 2000 miles and
    looked brand new. The other had 6000 miles and looked nearly new.
    Great bike to ride. A lot more power than brakes so had to be careful
    following sport bike friends into corners... The fatal flaw of the bike was
    that the stator would burn out around 20,000 miles. So then the whole
    engine had to be pulled out.
    Total production on the bike was around
    1100. Honda could not sell them, so a lot were given to trade schools
    to work on in the classroom. There was a fair amount of those, and are
    referred to as " school bikes ". A whole lot of them also are in museums
    due to the fact it is such an interesting bike. Riding around the street with
    a license plate on the bike, maybe 200 tops in the whole world. Whenever
    I rode mine, guys that really knew bikes would come over with their jaws
    hanging down in amazement. Rode it to the Rock Store one time when Jay
    Leno was there on his turbine bike. As soon as he saw my bike he came running over to see it.....
  10. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned a CX 650 Turbo for 11 years,it was a great bike,only sold it it the end due to techno fear figuring that it would go bang eventually.

Used it mostly for touring round Europe and trips to the Isle of Man for the TT ,when I sold it in 2001 (for £50 less than I had paid for it), it had around 52,000 trouble free miles on it only having required a new starter in the 40,000 miles of my ownership

Heading up North in the car last year we stopped at a popular biker stop called the Green Welly and there was a CX Turbo in the bike park so I went for a gander and it was my old bike, easy to spot with its destinctive Northern Irish plate looking much the same as when I sold it and with 56,000 ish miles on the clock.

I hung about to chat to the owner when he came back and explained how I used to own it and commented on how it had not been used much since I sold it, to which he looked a bit surprised and proceeded to tell me of all the trips he had done on it and that it only had 24,000 on it when he bought it!.

But it is in good hands he knew more about the bikes than I ever did and owns another two 650 and two 500 Turbos.
  11. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    Those are some high numbers for a turbo..... :rofl
    Perhaps somewhere along the way the stator had been replaced.
    There are some aftermarket ones that supposedly have a longer
    life than the original one. The stator sits in a hot oil bath which is
    what kills it at an early age.

http://www.turbomotorcycles.org/TMIOA/TechHelp_Honda_Stator.html

"Now for the big gremlin which besieges all CX Turbos. If you manage to squeeze more than 20,000 miles of service from your stator, you are lucky. The stator is the coil of wires within the rear of the engine which generates electrical power for the entire bike. Most stators burn out between 15k and 20k miles. "
  12. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right enough Beemer,now I think about it the new owner did say that he had replaced the stator on my old bike as well as another starter,I must just have been lucky in the time I owned it :rofl

I was fortunate that I was able to do some miles on both the Kawasaki 750T and the XN85 in the late 80's as well,both bikes owned by friends I used to ride with, always wanted to try the Yamaha to complete the set, but never did.

For me the CX was by far the best all round package,if not as out and out fast as the Kawasaki or as easy to throw about as the Suzuki.
  13. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, Honda kinda listened to you. Motorcyclist is reporting Honda has applied for several patents in Japan to supercharge the NC700. You'll have to give up the "frunk" for the intercooler, etc.
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Just saw it yesterday, I approve!

I just hope they don't go overboard, we need like 15-20% more power and
    20-30-40% more torque and that bike will fly.
  15. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, all absolutely true....in 1985. Thirty years later, with modern materials & coatings, digital controls of waste gates, ECU management of detonation, and a dozen things that I can't think of, (but an engineer in Hammamatsu already has), boost, either turbo or super, just might be a great thing. I'm old enough to remember the miseries of mechanical fuel injection. It was supposed to solve any number of engine management problems & some times it did (at great expense), but often it didn't, (at even greater expense) It was a great idea, whose time had not yet come. Now, FI is almost universal & FI systems are actually cheaper to fit than carbs.

I think the potential exists today for reliable, compact, lightweight boosted bikes with excellent fuel milage, precise fueling, & gobs of usable power from modest displacement. I'm thinking something like the Honda 500 with better suspenders & brakes & boosted to about 90 HP.
  17. ColonelB

ColonelB n00b

Oddometer:
    Just saw this in a motorcycle museum sponsored by Harley of Colorado Springs. This one has almost no miles having been donated to the local University (by Honda, I assume). Now I really want one (again). CX-650 Turbo.jpg
  18. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    I guy I knew had an almost-new one back when I was in college (80s). I lusted after it, riding around on my little VT500 Ascot. It was downright sexy in the 80s if you were a geek.

Funny about how insurance companies are still anal about them. When I called to insure my CBR1100XX in 1998 the first question my agent asked me was, "Is this bike turbocharged?" Uh, no. "That's good. We don't insure turbocharged bikes." :jack
  19. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a new 1983 CX650E non turbo...really nice bike...but that turbo was out of this world!
    That was when Honda had some real moxy.
    Never had a chance to ride one.
    They were BIG bucks even back then.
    A pretty rare bird indeed.
  20. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    My work in progress 84 CX650E