Honda Deauville (NT700V) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Towjam, Sep 4, 2009.

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    An R1200RT starts at about $ 16,500.

That Dullsville looks pretty good in that light. Yeah, I know the RT has way more everything, but it's also more than half a bike more.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    & the ones we get are often subpar models to other countries.
    we get the lame 230L as our small dualsport while a modern xr250 exists elsewhere & then compare that to the wr250r that yamaha sells.

honda NA makes some very poor decessions on what bikes they think will sell & chose to import.
  3. PizzaHog

PizzaHog Thought Criminal

Oddometer:
    From the ST-Owners site:
    A friend has campaigned a NT650 Deauville for years and has recently upgraded to the NT700. I have had a bit of saddle time on both and would comment:-

- You do not notice the weight at all and it is very well balanced (but this is coming from a man who uses a CB1300 as a commuter).

- The NT700 has a reshaped seat which makes reaching the ground much easier. My mate is 5'7" and can flat foot it which he could not do on the old one.

- It is a brilliant commuter which is also fine for one up touring.

- This is not a sports tourer and will definitely not stretch your arms. Power is adequate however just don't expect it to torque its way up steep hills like the ST.

- Fuel capacity is 19 litres (real as I helped him push it to the bowser) You will get great economy however between 4 & 5 litres per 100klm which in the real world means you are looking for fuel at about 350klm and starting to sweat at 400klm.

- Motor is absolutely bullet proof and simple to service. The NT650 was a carby unit and whilst super simple you would not look at it now with the NT700.

- The term "Dullsville" comes from the UK motorcycling press who regretfully consist of immature tossers who are obsessed with sports bikes. Not everyone wants/needs to travel at 200kph everywhere grinding hero knobs and chewing out tires. If you want a sports bike just buy one. If you want a long lived mega reliable commuter and light tourer the NT may well be for you.​
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
  5. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ride of my DL650 to get one.

Yup it's not the most exciting bike in motorcycledom
    It's not the latest and greatest

But what it will be for me
    a bike that with a top box will make a great all around bike.
    and I can carry a ton of stuff while still splitting lanes.

I also wish that it would come with a VTR1000F engine and about 100 pounds less weight. With a 200mile range.

But that's not going to happen.
  6. Towjam

Towjam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...and seeing that it has been around on the other side of the pond for a number of years, it won't have those typical "first model year bugs".

I think this bike is going to do well for Honda North America.
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soft spot for me (VTR1000F in the garage) but about fuel.

It does have 200 mile range, I mean current NT700V. Yep, no such chance with VTR1000F engine :wink: but with current mill it proved it can do at least 330 km between stops. My friend did not push it beyond 330 as we did not want to get group stuck somewhere in forrest in Norway, but he did ride quite fast, so I think range is good.
  8. kconville

kconville Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer:
    A couple of observations:

The bike looks pretty good to me and I agree that it seems a refreshing alternative to the huge, over-engined alternatives.

The one piece, non removable bags are kind of a turn off for several reasons.

Where is anyone deriving this hydraulic valves dream from? Sounds like wishful thinking not based in reality.

I don't think it's especially pricey considering it's standard equipment, though no bargain either.

Ease of maintenance and it's frequency is a big issue for me and will be a deal breaker if it proves to be a PITA.

No doubt Honda is one goofy company these days, and in recent years. The so called super conservative Honda when they bust loose give us circus bikes like the Valkyrie Rune and the DN-01 all the while denying us any decent dual sport machines that the rest of the world enjoys. They recently honored us (the US) with allowing us to buy their 150cc scooter for $4600! While the CRF230L sells for the same but has technology hearkening back to the 1970s. Oh boy. But, I digress...

I'll try to keep an open mind about this new "tourer" and eagerly await more feedback.
  9. maydaymike

maydaymike Fearless Commuter

Oddometer:
    I think it's coming from the people that are looking for the the second coming of the PC800. Removing all the tupperware was a pain, but you hardly ever had to do it. The hydraulic lifters in the PC engine meant that maintenence consisted of fluid changes and tires.
  10. MotoEdde

MotoEdde Bohemian Accountant

Oddometer:
    It doesn't come with hydraulic valves...they're adjusted with a screw. Thankfully not shims!
  11. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    I thought it came with hydraulic valves and said so on the first page of this thread. My bad, I was hoping it had them and thought I read it somewhere.
  12. Vader

Vader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how often does the NT700V need valve inspection?

8k, 16k?
  13. Gradall

Gradall Army of one gets it done

Oddometer:
    an observation...
    Why does it have the tip over skid plates and non removable luggage???? Won't the luggage catch the ground before the skid plate????
  14. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it wont. Do not ask me why, but when my friend went down in Norway (3 times actually) in a) straightforward tip over b)slow speed low side c)missing balance in ultra-slow turn as he is very short guy
    he broke (pushed in) front indicator, bent gearchange link a bit and hit mirror and that skid plate. And Honda optional bellypan cracked.
    Beats me, but that's fact - and he has XL sized side pannier covers. But it would not miss handguards and if it would have dropped to other side it might have gotten exhaust damaged.
  15. arkline

arkline Glorified AV Boy Emeritus

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a link to a site that has something more than the brochure's specifications? I'd be interested in GVW and how many Watts the alternator is capable of producing. Or do I have to wait for an article in MCN or Cycle World?
  16. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dig European internet via www.google.co.uk etc.
    This subtype of Deauville been out since 2008 and plenty sold, e.g. plenty of info.
  17. PaMtbRider

PaMtbRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. arkline

arkline Glorified AV Boy Emeritus

Oddometer:
    Perhaps someone has a link to the information requested. I've diligently searched using all the keywords that seem reasonable and still can't find much beyond the standard Honda brochure information. GVWR and wattage would seem to be important if you're considering "light touring" on this machine. Since it is a pretty hefty bike given its hp output, I'd really like to know how much weight it would be able to carry along. And wattage is important if you're prone to wear heated gear in the winterish months.
    Any help would be appreciated.

19. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Since Honda lists heated grips and power outlets as offical accessories, its a pretty safe bet that its got decent power output. Like wise, I can't see you maxing out a GVW unless you use it to cart lead weights or bowling balls regularly...

You could join some of these UK or other Engrish Uropean web boards and ask there.
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bet on that. Honda is notorious for extremely low GVW ratings that result in ridiculously low allowances for riders and cargo. On a new Goldwing, fill it up with fuel and you have about 400-lbs total for passengers and cargo. Most people ignore the ratings - they have to, otherwise, they couldn't go for a ride with their wife, let alone tour with gear.

- Mark