Honda Deauville (NT700V) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Towjam, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw a bear in the area sign on the east side of Glacier N. P. A few min. later looked up and saw a pair of Grizzlies climbing the hillside.
    Pbro63 and TCBronson like this.
  2. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I credit the show for getting me interested in motorcycles and the passion to want one and ride cross country. I have owned several Sportsters because of that show new and used. I have built three accurate replicas, one I donated to the Barber museum.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  3. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I saw, that is so cool. I have never been to Arkansas and the middle of the country. I very want to do a coast to coast and back on my moto guzzi v85tt. Maybe with any luck can look you up. I very like my NT700 but the MG adv bike is the right tool for the job. That was a great and daring ride you did solo on the NT to the arctic.!
    TCBronson likes this.
  4. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it was a fun and challenging ride. I have given serious thought to MG bikes but there is no dealers in Arkansas so I currently have a 2019 CB500X as my main do it all bike and a 2020 Kawasaki W800 as my retro bike. If you get lost in Arkansas, look me up.
    Pbro63 likes this.
  5. Versysguy

Versysguy Just a river rat

Oddometer:
    Well folks I jumped ship back to a Versys 650. I got a great deal on a 2020 with only a thousand miles on it. I will still be hanging around here to read what you good folks have to say. Stay safe and ride more.
  6. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez, seems like I heard this same information in another place. :-)
    Versysguy likes this.
  7. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone knows of a nt700v in the west coast, hopefully under 20k, ABS preferred I’m looking around.

soon I’ll need to commute again and need to downsize from my 1190 and the nt700 check all the boxes of what I need.
    I’m in SF Bay Area but could do fly/ride or drive depending

thx!
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  8. rhjiii46

rhjiii46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll sell mine for "under 20K" !!
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  9. ptarman

Oddometer:
    Check Cycle Trader. My first NT is for sale at Empire Sports in Spokane for only $2499. Of course it's got 138,814 miles on the clock but has had most of the things that go bad repaired/replaced in the last 15-20K miles.

Here's a link to Cycle Trader -- 80247 - 2010-2011 Honda For Sale - Honda Motorcycles - Cycle Trader

Mine old one is the 6th one from the top.

Given the experience of those of us on NT-Owners.org, I wouldn't be worried about buying anything under 50,000 miles.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  10. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm also watching them on Cycle Trader, nationwide. I've seen a few of them popup in SE part of the U.S., 'course that's quite a ways away from Missouri let alone the west coast too. But that'd be an interesting fly & ride too, or so I keep telling myself.
  11. ptarman

Oddometer:
    One thing I'd look for on Cycle Trader would be whether or not the seller claims that they are ABS equipped. If they are, they'll have to be either a 2011 model or a silver 2010. But all silver '10s are not ABS versions. Look for the decal on the front fender that says "COMBINED" with "ABS" underneath. In 2010, Honda imported, we think, about 2500 bikes. A little more than half of them seem to have been Silver and probably over half of those were ABS versions. In '11, I think they imported close to 2000 bikes, all black, all ABS bikes. Some of them were sold as 2012 models. Up until about '16 or so, you could still find a few that were new old stock.

When I bought mine in March of '10, list price for the ABS bike was $10,999. I had bought one other brand-new bike, a '99 Kawasaki Concours from Sun Honda in Denver. When I started looking for an NT, I did quite a bit of online searching. Honda of Russellville, Arkansas, was selling ABS versions for $9499. I had emailed Sun and made an appointment with their online sales manager to look at an NT. When I got there, he wasn't there because his dad was having emergency surgery. He had told a young kid to take care of me. The kid asked me what their competition was and I told him Russellville Honda at $9499. I said, "If I buy there, I'll have to fly to Little Rock, where they'll pick me up, and then I'll get to ride it home and it'll be ready for it's first valve adjustment." He went and called his boss who said, "We'll match that." And they did. After we'd signed all the paperwork, I asked the kid why they had matched Russellville, he said that his boss had said, "I give deals to jerks all the time. This guy is a rider, and I want to give him a deal." Part of the deal ended up being a 4-yr extension on the warranty. It included the first two valve checks (which woujld have cost about $600 then). I paid $400 for that and it carried me to 96,000 miles.
    TCBronson and TonyKZ1 like this.
  12. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talk me out of this bike? It's older and not a lot of parts are around for it anymore. It's shaft drive (wait, do I want a shaft drive and not have to deal with a chain any more?). Latches. It has latches. Lots of fairings/bodywork to remove just to... do anything? I have a 2008 V Strom and it's great. But I don't do offroad stuff (I'm nowhere near that interesting), maybe 2% of the time and that's by accident so my adventure bike is really a commuter/run-around-town/load-stuff-up-in-the-panniers-and-top-box kind of bike. Fortunately, it has not been to a Starbucks. And it's great. 44K miles and it doesn't blink. It doesn't consume oil, it's easy to work on and reliable as all get out. I should probably clean it. But this NT700v... something about it. I had a shaft-driven Suzuki Boulevard and it was so smooth and effortless and I think I find myself wanting the shaft again. Wait... you know what I mean. Well, what I mean is really liked that shaft drive aspect but the cruiser geometry didn't suit me. Is the NT the perfect marriage of shaft drive + ergos? The ST is larger which is more weight than I want. And each bike (Strom and the NT700V) is capable of very high miles as ptarman notes. And I know the obvious answer is, "why not have two bikes?" I do prefer to remain married so one bike at a time. Right now. Again, this NT just kinda speaks to me. So talk me out of this bike?
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  13. ptarman

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm about useless when it comes to talking you out of getting an NT. After over 143K miles riding one, there isn't another bike I'd replace it with. The ergos are perfect for me. My 1st NT, which I rode 139K miles had bar risers and had been lowered after I had my 6th knee replacement. My 2nd one, which is getting close 4K miles for me (22K when I bought it), has Heli-Bars, but they're no longer available and had also been lowered. I got a Russell Sport Seat (similar to the DayLong but without the suspension) and in January and really like it. I had ridden a couple of '99 Concours for about 165K miles before I bought my first NT in March of '10. I had downsized to the NT because of the weight, my age, and five knee replacements. For about the first 30 miles after I left the dealer's I thought I might I might have made a mistake, but by the time I rode the 80 miles back to the house I was feeling good about the change. I've done several Iron Butt Cert rides (including the first one ever done on an NT in the whole Western Hemisphere -- Woo-hoo! -- and a Bun Burner Gold). I did my 2013 "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," an 80-day, 21K mile jaunt on it, camping about 1/3 of the time. I've ridden in temps as high as 113F and as low as 13F and it's worked for all of it.

This is #1 in January of '20:
    P1070170.JPG

And this is #2 in August of '20:

IMNSHO, you can't go wrong!
    TCBronson, TonyKZ1 and old1959 like this.
  14. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping you would respond, thank you.
    My fear was, you were going to respond, damn you.
    TonyKZ1 and Mobiker like this.
  15. ptarman

Oddometer:
    Hey, you win some, you lose some! :-)

By the way, there's a guy on our NT forum (NT-Owners.org -- one of the great forums in the world!) whose forum name is Woodaddict. He lives in Salisbury, NC, and put 201,000 miles on his first NT. He had bought a 2nd one about 30K before he got to 200K so he'd have another one when he did. I send out 50K, 100K, and 150K stickers to people when their bikes reach those mileages. The stickers are about the bike's mileage, not the rider's mileage. I knew David (Woodaddict) was going to sell his first NT as soon as he could after reaching 200K, so I refused to buy him a 200K sticker. I was pretty sure there wasn't going to be much demand for those! I've got probably 9-10 150K stickers and I had figured I'd get to put one of those on Dudley, my first NT.

But then my buddy from the Forum traded his NT on a Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro, and since I knew what meticulous care he'd taken of it (he's a retired USAF KC-135 pilot), I called Empire Sport in Spokane and quickly made a deal to do a swap. That ended my chances of needing a 150K sticker any time soon. So, back to Woodaddict -- he's gotten a 50K sticker for his 2nd NT and has already put on 6500 miles in 2021. He'll probably get the 100K sticker sometime next year. I'm sure that he'd be glad to show you his bike if you wanted to go up and look at it.

As he got closer to 200K, he'd quit keeping his first one as clean. The guy who bought it from him cleaned it up and sold it very quickly so we don't know where it is or how it's doing. I'm guessing it's still running fine. In Europe and the UK, it's not unheard of for Deauvilles (same bike, different name) to get to 300K miles.

The biggest issue is the pannier latches, but even at 139K miles, mind just needed a little persuasion. I learned that I could get the panniers to close after being opened by using a pair of needlenose pliars to reset the little latch inside the interior pannier. I've got a set of external latches that I'll probably put on "Horse," my 2nd NT when the original latches start giving me trouble.

I got Horse's name when I was riding back from Spokane after the trade. I only listen to music in my head when I'm riding and frequently have one tune that might last for 3-4 days. My return from Spokane wasn't a lot of fun. I'd planned on riding Beartooth Pass, the Chief Joseph Highway, US-14 and 14A, and US-16 in Wyoming on my way home. But I spent the first night in Lewiston, ID, and ate a meal that had me out of bed with "intestinal distress" at 3AM. I felt OK the next morning but didn't get away until 10. I rode Lolo Pass and then down to Wisdom, MT, on my way to Butte. 3AM rolled around and I was up again. Didn't get out of Butte till noon. Felt crappy until east of Billings and stopped at Buffalo, WY, for the night. I felt pretty good when I stopped and ate a light meal. 3AM and I was up again. Out of Buffalo at noon, got home at 6 and was fine. ??? At any rare, from at least Billings on, my internal music had been "Horse With No Name" by America. When I took the picture I posted above, I was moving the car right after I took the picture, turned on the car and "Horse With No Name" was playing. That settled the deal. My new bike is "Horse."

If you're interested in reading about my "Epic Post-Retirement Trip," you can go to my blog at PTarman1.com.
  16. t0talchad

t0talchad n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all! I managed to get myself a NT last year. I only got to ride it a few times before Uncle Sam sent me to the Middle East. However, I’ll be home soon and I’m planning to ride it from Alabama to NY to visit my son and then visit the White and Smokey mountains. Along with some east coast beaches. Since I’ve been gone, I’ve ordered the bigger bag lids, Hepco and Becker crash bar, some marine bungie latches(as my latches broke on my second ride), taller windshield and a Givi top box. I’m going to change all the fluids and throw a new set of tires on before my trip.

Attached Files:

TonyKZ1, heysyb and Mobiker like this.
  17. ptarman

Oddometer:
    Hey, man, I hope you get home safely and soon. You're going to love the NT! I see you've got the knuckle-duster hand guards. They're practically impossible to find now and well worth having. I think Honda must have spent some time in a wind tunnel designing and perfecting them. How many miles does your bike have (not that it makes much difference!)? It looks nice and clean.

You might want to join us on the NT-Owners Forum (NT-Owners.org). It's a really friendly and helpful Forum with more participants than this thread on Advrider has. I'll be happy to approve your membership there since I'm one of the moderators.
  18. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of NT Owners, there’s someone listing their 2010 Silver NT with 35k miles for $2,500. Part of me is happy he’s 7 hours away or else my wallet would be that much lighter.
    fecundity likes this.
  19. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    The NT was always an interest to me - just not new. Saw a few for sale over the years but didn't investigate. Guess I was happy with what I had - or something.

Happened to come across this thread revival and the bike has again piqued my interest.

Just out of curiosity I got on my local craigslist to see if there were any about - they almost never are.

Uh-oh! 2010, silver, with top box, looks like a bigger windscreen, 18,000 miles - $2000. (!) My email doesn't work with craigslist but I'll try using my friends phone. If that doesn't work I'll bail on it - so tomorrow feel free to PM for the location.
    TonyKZ1 and heysyb like this.
  20. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!