Honda Deauville (NT700V) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Towjam, Sep 4, 2009.

1. t0talchad

t0talchad n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m on the NT owners forum as well under Peacerider. I don’t remember how many miles are on my 700, it’s been about 10 months since I’ve seen it. I believe it was less than 15k though.
    I also just ordered an Atlas throttle lock and some mirror extenders. I might try and get some risers to bring the bars up and back as well.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in the same conundrum a few years ago. I had a 2013 DL650 that I had just recently bought as a new old stock model. It was my third V-Strom and second DL650. Then one day a nice, low mileage NT700V popped up at the same dealership where I bought the DL650. I took it for a test ride, fully expecting that I would not like it. Problem was, I did like it. I liked it a lot. I seriously considered trading, but after a couple of weeks of thinking about it, I decided to stay with the Suzuki, mainly just because I didn't want to spend any money. I think they were worth similar $$$, but we all know the dealer needs to make some money of he can't stay in business. I have often wondered what might have been, though.
    heysyb likes this.
  3. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had mirror extenders on NT#1 and don't on #2. But so far I haven't noticed the need. #2 has Heli-Bars instead of just bar risers. Joe (Frosty on the NT-Owners Forum) had gotten the last set of Heli-Bars made. They probably extend the bars up and back by an additional 1 1/2" more than most bar risers do.
  4. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s really dangerous to research and then join forums like NT-Owners because that leads you to join ST-Owners and that leads to drinking beer and trying to figure out if you’re gonna sell your perfectly good DL 650 to buy an NT or ST.
    As is the case with life, nothing is permanent and I can always revisit the Strom. Decisions, decisions.
  5. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you're pretty bad at talking me out of this one :-D.
    By lowered, are we talking lowering links or are there foot-peg lowering kits available?
  6. Versysguy

Versysguy Just a river rat

Oddometer:
    If interested, Lake City Honda. Warsaw Indiana has a N T 700 sitting on the showroom floor, it has a trunk on it. Not the silver color. Cant get there used inventory to come up on there web site, but give them a call. Might be a good deal. They are good folks.
    TonyKZ1 and heysyb like this.
  7. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you the same Versysguy on NT-Owners?
    And thanks for enabling me!
  8. ptarman

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about lowering links (plus sliding the forks up in the triple clamp. I had a foot-peg lowering kit on NT#1 until I lowered the bike. It feels to me as if I can get a greater lean angle after the bike has been lowered and the peg lowerers removed.
    TCBronson likes this.
  9. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying. My Strom has lowering links making it difficult to get it up on the center stand. I just got stock-length links and a peg-lowering kit for my 34.5" inseam. My knee angle is just a wee bit too sharp for me. I'm sure there are similar options for the NT, correct?
  10. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There's an NT for sale locally with 70k miles on it.

Other than 8k mile valve adjustment interval, what major service should have been completed by that mileage? Any problem areas to inspect thoroughly?
    RUSTINPEACE likes this.
  11. ptarman

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are. The ones I had before I lowered NT#1 came from Motorcycle Larry, who died back in '01. His family kept the business going for a while, but finally folded it. Lowering my NT made it very difficult to centerstand. I've got a ramp with a block which my neighbor made out of two thicknesses of 2X6, but after my last knee replacement, I can't even use that. I'm glad the NT doesn't have a chain!
    heysyb likes this.
  12. ptarman

Oddometer:
    The splines in the final drive should be lubed with a good moly grease (60-70% moly) every time the rear tire is changed. Brake fluid should be changed. My first NT went 139K miles. I had to have two total rebuilds of the final drive because two different Honda dealer's techs neglected that easy task. The first one was free at about 80K miles because I had an extended warranty that lasted me till 97K miles. The 2nd wasn't too expensive because the dealership where I had bought the bike only charged me their cost for parts and 1 hour of labor because the rear wheel was already off the bike for a tire change. As I got up to around 130K, I had to change a fuel pump and a water pump. But after those things were done, the bike was running better than new at 139K. Then I traded it for NT#2 which was 16 serial numbers older but only had 22K miles.
    TCBronson, TonyKZ1 and heysyb like this.
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait, you poo poo'd my CBF and now you want an NT. :ksteve
  14. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I'm fifteen years older. :lol3
  15. Versysguy

Oddometer:
    Yes i am the versysguy from the NT site. I really like the NT but I like the Versys better.
    After the farm truck ate my last Versys I got a great deal on the NT. I still have some NT parts to get out of my garage. I need to get some stuff listed on the for sale page.
    heysyb likes this.
  16. RUSTINPEACE

RUSTINPEACE Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I don't know of any areas. My NT700v never stranded me in the 155,000 miles I put on it before I sold it. But I think our friend @Paper hates these bikes for some reason.:dunno
  17. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Everybody hates them, that's why I want one. True hipster cred. :deal

The reality is MN is a full days ride from anywhere. I just want a big dumb couch sometimes and the price is right on them now. I could get the 70k mile one for three grand.
    RUSTINPEACE likes this.
  18. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it’s time to sell the NT to me and get another Versys?
  19. Versysguy

Oddometer:
    Sorry , I traded the NT off on a 2020 Versys on March 3rd. It only had 9500 miles on it. It ended up at the Honda/Indian dealer in east Lafayette Indiana. They can be reached at 765-449-7122
    Indian motorcycle of Lafayette.
    They gave me $3400 for it. I have no idea how much they are asking now.
    heysyb likes this.
  20. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jen, thanks for the info. They’ll be getting a call this week.