Honda Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Supertoon2... You can try and put the rear suspension on the firmest setting and see if that helps. I tried going from the softest and then to hardest setting and it tracks way better in the turns on the hardest setting. On the softest setting it would wallow on the bumps in the turns and require more corrections to hold the same line. Bet this will help you also!

In a straight I can put my throttle lock on and take my hands off the bars for a minute and it stays straight. Is yours wandering in a straight line or in the turns?

Also, I would guess the middle setting of the rear shocks is meant for a 160 to 180 pound rider. Sounds like you and your wife weigh just a little bit more than that.

tmp-cam--1022303312.jpg
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Partially true but I don't think a tip over in a parking lot would empty all of the oil from the forks. The guys I bought it from were people who you did not ask too many questions. The paper work all seems legit.

Chimp's Garage, an interesting term. A quick look gave no explanation but one can guess what it means.

Some motorcycles are made on Mondays when the staff are hung over from the weekend party. Or maybe a pretty girl walked by when the oil was supposed to be added. Stuff happens.
  3. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently, 'stuff' doesn't happen here. I've owned about 20 Hondas in the past, yet can't
    remember ANYTHING going wrong with them (okay, there were a few recalls, all free of
    charge, so thanks).

Actually, I find Hondas rather boring, but just don't care as they're always 'good enough'
    in any category, and usually bulletproof when serviced properly. BTW, I haven't spent one cent on repairs in the last three years of owning this scoot.

But let's be honest, here : I dream italian, all the time, like everybody else.
  4. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Vespa's are interesting but so were Ducati's until I rode a few. That hot cylinder between my legs on a hot day was rather unpleasant.

Actually I think the Forza was designed in Italy for Honda. Not sure.
  5. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That hot cylinder between the legs, well, think of it as Gina Lollobrigida, and everything will be fine, says the owner's manual.
    Clampett likes this.
  6. Supertoon2

Supertoon2 Just be nice...

Oddometer:
    I guess I was just expecting a much more "planted feel" then the PCX. That was a pretty amazing little scooter! I will check into the items you mention, they all make sense. The bike is almost new with only 800 kms, but I must admit I did suspect something might have "happened"...
  7. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Supertoon2, let me suggest one other possibility with a little history. I purchased my first scooter a year ago, a 2012 Burgman 650 w/3800 miles. I'd read they were pretty stable machines. The one I bought handled similar to what you described. My motion or movement of the bike came from the bottom, like my head was the top of a pendulum that remained still while the bottom of the scooter drifted or road walked left or right. Speed didn't seem to matter, I had to always make little corrections as I went along. I tried messing with the shock preload but that didn't make much difference. I read on the forums that some riders had loose steering head bearings. I thought that was an easy thing to check. The steering head nut uses the same spanner wrench that came with the bike for adjusting shock preload. I removed the handle bars to get at and loosen the castlenut on top of the triple clamp. Loosened the upper triple clamp bolts for the forks and kept the weight off the front end and then checked the tightness of the steering head nut (below the top triple clamp). I was able to move it without much problem so I tightened it a little (probably 1/4 turn) and then put it all back. It didn't seem any better and after a couple times of this it was actually getting worse and I was getting depressed. I stuck with it but stated to loosen it a little at a time and surprise surprise it started getting better until now it's very good and I don't have any of those sensations of movement coming from beneath the scooter or its tires. I know you are supposed to set bearing tightness by letting the handle bars sway from end to end freely but the cables and such cause drag and I didn't want to remove them just to check the handlebars from side to side. Anyhow, for me the proof in the pudding was going to be the ride characteristics anyhow so that's how I went about it. So with just a little adjustment my Burgman went from a big disappointment to a very enjoyable ride. Maybe this will work for you?
  8. Supertoon2

Oddometer:
    It seems to just wander a bit when riding in a straight line. Proper tire pressure helped quite a bit. I did crank the rear preload all the way. Seemed to maybe help a little, but made the ride quite rough for my passenger. You are right, together we are about 320 lbs...
  9. Supertoon2

Oddometer:
    Hi Speedtrap, very good description of the movement. Mine experience sound very similar. Its like you are to the left of your lane, and it might slowly drift to the right or left, requiring subtle corrections. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a pain. Especially if this isn't common with this model....
  10. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loosening the steering top 32mm octogonal locknut on the Forza can't be done with a shock spanner. I couldn't find the proper deep socket around town so had to order Honda's
    special tool. Like Speedtrap I then used a shock spanner to tighten the crown-type adjuster
    nut itself to 'around' 3 pounds (the 'fist-t-wrench' method, if you ask). I hate torque
    wrenches, haven't used mine for years...
  11. Supertoon2

Oddometer:
    3 pounds almost sounds "finger tight, with a little snug-up" . How is that for technical :jack
    Clampett likes this.
  12. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a nanobit tighter than that. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first looked at the
    specs, but yes, that's it, 3 pounds. All my other bikes with similar bearings were much
    tighter, go figure.

That's how tight the adj. nut was when I checked it, btw. The top lock nut is about
    50 pounds, if you wish to know.

Oh, the 2 handlebar-stay bolts were so tight I needed a 3ft extension tube to loosen those -- I think most of the big chassis nuts/bolts on jap bikes are grossly overtorqued,
    no idea why...
  13. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Supertoon2... To bad we don't live closer together. We could try swapping bikes for a few clicks. :-)

Maximum gross weight of the Forza is 780lbs, it weighs 430lbs so that leaves 350lbs for 2 people and all their gear. You're close at 320. Did your PCX handle the weight okay?

Maybe a bigger wind screen would help smooth out the ride with some better aerodynamics. I love my adjustable height Givi AirFlow. Put it up for cold or wet weather, put it down at city speeds and hot weather.

[​IMG]
  14. aguim

aguim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    S.Ro,

That Givi is real nice. How much did you pay for it? Could you give us its part #. The Honda
    higher one cost me 250$ can. but is no longer available, I'm told.
  15. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
  16. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I have the Honda high on my 2014. It is a little too high for me. I need a little more airflow to keep my visor fog free in the rain.

The Givi also looks like it protects the hands a bit.

I don't think the Givi was available when I bought my Honda High.

I should buy the Givi Adjustable but I would also need the y piece of the body work or I could just silicone it back on again.
  17. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Dave... You could be right because I bought the Givi about Jan 2016 and paid big bucks to have it shipped from the US.

Givi protects all of the hands except the bar end weights. If my hands are hot I put my palms on the bar ends and stick my fingers out to the side to catch some wind. Hope that makes sense.
  18. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to jump in here and say that I've been very impressed in the past with the Airflo on another bike and it is my first choice for a replacement windshield when available. I just wish they made one for the 650 Burgman and not just the 400. They aren't cheap but worth it to me.
  19. Supertoon2

Oddometer:
    The PCX did a really good job. I sold my BW 125 to buy the PCX and It was night and day. The Yamaha could easily break your teeth going over bumps....
    I wish I could try another Forza, just to be sure. My local Honda dealer has a 2016 left....maybe....
    The PCX was alot more fun in the corners despite what you would expect. I am sure I will get it sorted out. I like your screen, it is bug season here with all this warm weather...
  20. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love My 15 Forza 300. Low center of gravity only feel the weight pushing the thing. Its the last of the low seat height 300s. Everyone else is going higher. There is a review on youtube of the new Forza. He is 180cm or 5 10 and not able to flat foot.