Honda Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Jan 5, 2013.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Clutch bearing and just the usual stuff. Something is always needing replacing.

Tires wear out quickly, air filters clog, things always rattle & buzz, belts need replacing, brakes need replacing.

Nothing is long lasting on a Forza.
  2. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    a) clutch bearings need a tiny bit of grease once in a while, otherwise they self-destroy.
    b) tires,belt (not belts) air filter (not air filters) are as good on the Forza as on ANY other comparable machine on the market. Why complain ?
    c) rattles? Fix them (I fixed mine no sweath )

Ok, brake pads don't last-- so what (soft pads give good grip and control, at a cost)

I did 50,000 km with mine and had zero issue (but 3 sets of cheap brake pads). Engine needed
    only one slight (unnecessary) valve adjustment, and never took oil. The air filter was cleaned, not changed. Belt still looked as new at 30 Kkm, was only changed as a precaution. And oh, I lubed
    those infamous clutch bearings (not bearing), once in a while.

All in all, a truly great scooter. Shit, in 4 years/50,000 km, NOTHING broke !!!
  3. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forza 300 most definitely has two air filters.
    No mention in the service schedule of any requirement to lubricate clutch bearings.
    Which is why they fail.
    Mine had its own reserved spot in the dealer's workshop it was in there so often.
  4. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was talking engine only. The clutch housing one is easily cleanable and normally doesn't need any
    replacing.

Anybody with minimal knowledge of scooters knows that their dry-clutch bearings need a little grease once in a while.

So what were your real issues ?
    rlkat likes this.
  5. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1: You were commenting on the claim that "filters" get clogged. You said there's only one filter. You were wrong. You say you were talking engine only. Aye right.
    Fact is there's more than one filter and they can both get clogged.

2: Honda have more than minimal knowledge of scooters, from the many reports I've seen from owners, (and from the two scooters I've had with failed bearings) they don't lubricate these bearings at manufacture and they don't list it in the service schedule for the guidance of techs who one would presume have the ability to slap a wee bit of grease about if so instructed.
    I would suggest that a great many customers buying Honda scooters have approximately zero knowledge of scooter maintenance.
    Just because you and I and other regulars on interweb forums of a scootering flavour may know to do it doesn't make it common knowledge.

3: Confident my real issues are irrelevant to you, I'm fairly certain no matter what I post you will tell me I'm wrong, call it deja vu.
  6. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm as aware as you are of the clutch bearing issue, and have repeatedly mentioned it in past posts.
    I have no clue as to why factories (not only Honda but most of them to my knowledge) don't include
    their periodic lubrication in their owner's manuals' maintenance schedules.

I agree with you that Honda is at fault here.

As to the number of engine (not transmission) air filters, I found Jones was as usual multiplying his miseries, so thought good to lighten the burden (want 2 air filters to worry about, ala Majesty ! )

Sorry you didn't get my point.

I also agree that most buyers don't give a sh.t about mechanicals, so are forced to pay the bills.
    On this account, is there one single scooter that makes it ?
  7. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
  8. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    As someone who rides a fair bit, I also have to replace parts more than the average person. I have also worn out a lot more tires than the average person.

I am not a mechanic, I am a rider. I can do some simple things but as a dyslexic with many head injuries I should never work on other people's bikes.

There seems to be too many tales of parts with no grease from the factory. My Forza had no oil in the forks when I got it and it rode terribly. Once oil was added it became substantially better.

Some people have a hard time understanding English and a harder time writing it. I am both. I am hearing impaired and dyslexic with other vision problems. That is another reason I am not a mechanic.

The hearing impairment is a problem with operating equipment. I had a new to me Ford Ranger 5 speed with no tach. I drove on the highway into Vancouver one day with the truck in 3rd gear instead of 5th gear. The engine broke. A hearing person might have noticed the sound difference.

I also had a new to me Dodge Dakota on the highway one day and could not figure out what was wrong. It turns out I had shifted into 2nd instead of drive on the automatic. A hearing person might have noticed the sound difference. The truck suffered but still runs.

One reason I like the Forza is that it is always in the right gear. My Forza miseries are that parts are hard to get where I live. I have to plan ahead by weeks.

They also don't last very long, I seem to be ordering tires quite often and they are now beyond my meager income. My previously broken back, broken arm, broken collarbone, broken ribs, broken ankle, broken fingers have all at times cut into my earning ability. The back was about a 3 year recovery time.

All in all I have enjoyed my Forza a lot. It now has 124,000 km (77,000 miles) on it. There have been very few repairs, mostly just wear items. Other than putting fork oil in, the only real REPAIR has been fork seals. Which were not unexpected considering how hard I ride the Forza on gravel roads.

But like any machine there is always something needing attention. Next up is a front tire and an air filter. I put cheap fog lights on the fender, they broke. I put slightly more expensive cheap fog lights on and they are breaking.

I replaced some broken plastic rivets in the fairing and the headlights don't bounce as much.

It is winter here and we just had a big rain & wind. I want to go riding but it might be snowing tomorrow.
    Rusty J likes this.
  9. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I started to ride a Kymco Downtown 300i down the BR319 in Brazil. Riding this Amazonian road is a great chalenge on any motorcycle. Try to ride it on a scooter one has to be crazy. So I'm looking for the best suspension upgrades available.

I'm interested to know more about the Forza 2013 or 2014 rear and front suspension. I was wondering if I could fit the Ohlins that are available for the forza 2014 on my Downtown. YSS rear shock has the same part #. I think it works for the rear suspension.

MaxiScooter HONDA 300 Forza 2013 Trasero Doble - Gas - Longitud Regulable: 390-400 mm
    MaxiScooter KYMCO 300 Downtown 2014 Trasero Doble - Gas - Longitud Regulable: 390-400 mm
    part #bl-40654-HR
    part #bl-40654-HR
    https://motostion.com/amortiguación/700053607-juego-de-amortiguadores-yss-top-line-gas-z-superdink-forza-sh-scoopy-8858803432281.html

https://motostion.com/amortiglpy-8858803432281.html

Looking for the Front suspension is more complicated. My search has lead me to this ''copy of OHLINS CAPS KIT + FORK SPRING HONDA FORZA 300 2014-2017
    But I can't the original the ''OHLINS CAPS KIT + FORK SPRING Code: FSK136''. It looks like the Ohlins kit doesn't exist

https://www.ebay.es/itm/copy-of-OHLINS-CAPS-KIT-FORK-SPRING-HONDA-FORZA-
    300-2014-2017-/401926087474

So I might have to settle with the Bituro Front fork kit. Product 1443/2143

Shock Absorber BITUBO Scooter Front Fork Kit for KYMCO /YAMAHA $392.99 Part number : KF005HBA00

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/...yamaha?zenid=8302c62832874590bd9bb6336d19c2f5

The kit is compiled of a set of hard springs, a complete damping system, high quality fork oil and comprehensive assembly instructions.

or the YSS fork upgrade kit Y-FCC31-KIT-01-009-X HONDA FORZA 300 2013

Starting preload: 12 mm
    Fork stem diameter: 35 mm
    Oil level: 75 mm

It contains 2 fork springs, 2 fork caps, 2 fork valves for progressives springs and 2 spessors for progressive springs.

Ref. Code: Y-FCC31-KIT-01-009 Ean: 8859253983859 Price: € 169,10 VAT free Street Price:€ 195,00

https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/yss-20...c31-kit-01-009-x-honda-forza-300-2013/565856/

If any forza owners has investigated to upgrade the damping system and have found the unfoundable Ohlins damping system or some other high end damping system I would greatly appreciate your input.
  10. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I ride my 2014 Honda Forza 300 on gravel roads. The biggest problem is that the scooter has almost no suspension travel.

A small pot hole on a dual sport becomes a big problem on the Forza due to the lack of travel. You hit things hard.

The smaller wheels are also a problem with a lack of ground clearance.

A slower speed helps but it takes a much longer time to get anywhere. You also tend to go around pot holes, not straight through.

Another problem is that the engine is part of the swingarm. That means every bump is moving a lot of mass which takes time.

Better shocks will help a little but do not fix most of the above problems.

Another problem I found on my Yukon trip is that things vibrate loose. Two swing arm bolts came out. The muffler clamp broke. Plastic rivets broke.

The gravel was also hard on the tires. And me. Air filters clog. Carrying spare parts is also a good idea. A good tool kit helps. Annoying bears is not a good idea. Moose are big. Big 18 wheelers throw up rocks and dust. And you never have enough money.
  11. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally wrong bike for the conditions.
  12. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    And that is why to do it!
  13. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, wow, you must be amazing :fpalm
  14. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    My 2014 Honda Forza 300 has been places that you would not believe.

I have stared down grizzly bears, big horn sheep & girls in Ford F150's. The open range cow shit can be slippery and the bulls are huge.

The Yukon was fun and I have been up so many mountains I can't count. I am constantly in fear of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

I have been through snow and water like you wouldn't believe. I have worn out a lot of tires in my 124,000 km. Coming down the gravel switch backs into Hedley with the ABS going crazy was too exciting.

The logging trucks and the RCMP both get out of my way except one bastard who pulled me over in front of my place and threatened to put me in jail. Bastard!
  15. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you're my hero
  16. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Send sex, drugs, rock & roll. It's money, that's what I want.

Hell, send scooter parts.

Bye the way, I was at Hells Gate when it was frozen over at the kiosk. The gates were locked.

And I ride in the areas shown in the Highway Thru Hell tow truck series. I did not cause any of the accidents but I was at a few of them.

The snow is melting!
  17. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you it's the wrong bike to do it in grace, I know all about the downturns of the suspension travel, the size of the wheels, ground clearance, and tires etc ... But the Downtown meets my requirements so well. I think I spend more money on aftermarket upgrades than I paid for the bike. What is crucial is that I can still enjoy epic rides which have been physically out of my reach on a motorcycle for many years.

I had a downtown in Colombia and it's increibly popular there. One guy modified his and he went to I could not get close to. The guy had outstanding skills which I don't come close. Still I tried his downtown a bit, and honestly it was doing much better than mine.

By going to the aftermarket I'm aware it's going to be expensive, I believe the suspensions can be greatly improved providing that they are properly dialed specifically to my weight and confort on gravel roads or irregular surfaces. It's posssible improve the ride somewhat but I'm aware it never going to handle rough roads well and I don't expect off road prowness.

I believe I can reach minimum success with aftermarket suspensions providing that they are properly dialed specifically for my weight and comfort on irregular surfaces. It can be done unless I'm not seeking off road prowess. I'm up to do anything I can to make it work.
  18. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Some people spend a lot of money on upgrades for MINIMAL improvement when all they really need to do is to LEARN how to ride.
  19. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Up grading to top of line shocks that you can dial according to your weight and the load on the motorcycle and this allow rider to have control and make one with the motorcycle.
  20. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Aren't all bikes like this where you live?