Honda FT 500 Ascot Group

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Fishnbiker, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    This thread is a continuation of the former Honda FT 500 Ascot groups from the now defunct Yahoo groups. Open to all who want a forum for restoring, repairing, maintaining, riding, & promoting the iconic Thumper from 1982-83.

Any photos/videos must be hosted at outside sites with links to be shown here (ADV regulations), such as Smugmug, Photobucket, Youtube, etc.

Old archived postings will be provided a link shortly.

Linky thing ...

https://mega.nz/#!uYIhhaIT!ObcoXzrGDQbjg-aEQkVfvOmOqiMQaqgEV4YX4GkfB40
    Navin likes this.
  2. Ascot Refugee

Ascot Refugee n00b

Oddometer:
    The complete Files Archive from the Yahoo FT500 Ascot Group is available at the below link. This archive includes the high-quality reproduction of the FT500 Service Manual, along with many other photo-essays on how to maintain the FT500 and repair the most common maladies of the FT500. In addition to the link, I have also copy/pasted the text from "Wirba" who provided the storage site for the Files.

https://mega.nz/#!uYIhhaIT!ObcoXzrGDQbjg-aEQkVfvOmOqiMQaqgEV4YX4GkfB40

Wirba says: "Just a reminder for anyone who might have missed this in the middle of an earlier thread. I spent some time and have all but a couple trip reports, downloaded to my computer. Zipped the entire batch & uploaded to Mega. This link will allow downloading without requiring an account at Mega. The Mega download page will appear as if you need to create an account, but the download will be proceeding and all you need do is just wait for it to finish

This includes the service manual, wiring diagrams and everything I was able to find here."
    Fishnbiker and Navin like this.
  3. Livoniabob

Livoniabob n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m here...
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  4. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want an FT500 been looking for one to restore for 20 years.
  5. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
  6. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Location?

I'm willing to consider offering my second as a project bike. Engine rebuilt with about an hour on it. 10.5:1 piston with new cam. I started on it several years ago with the idea of doing a cafe racer, then handed it over to my son . I installed front forks off an early CBR 600 with dual disks. Son removed both disks with the idea of using it for flat track racing, but got sidetracked with Trials riding. I got it back.

I just don't have enough time or energy to complete, as my 95 Triumph Tiger resto is next in line. I have all original parts in bins along with most of a XL spare engine with a couple of pieces salvaged to do the rebuild. Kickstart & modified foot peg installed. Many bins of spares, cables wiring, electrics included. Photos available once I get back home after Christmas break.

Located Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arizona
  8. irk miller

irk miller Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded a '75 GL1000 engine for a titled '82 this past summer at Mid-Ohio. Changed the oil, cleaned the carb, replaced the starter solenoid and it runs. Already got it apart to begin the build and swapped for an FCR38 carb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Xchemie, jimmy da fish and Fishnbiker like this.
  9. wiguzziman

wiguzziman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A huge THANK YOU to fishnbiker for moving this forum to ADV Rider site. Same thing happened to a Honda GB500 site that I was on, that's now here on ADV Rider as well. oldguzziguy
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  10. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Yahoo messed up a lot of VW groups I was in. Glad they're able to survive elsewhere and thanks to the diligence of those who do the conversions of any of them.
  11. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    My Ascot in its most recent configuration ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previously ...
    [​IMG]

Playing with Corel Draw to make a huge Thumper ...
    [​IMG]

The project bike, only 11 digits difference on the VIN. Probably made the same day ...
    [​IMG]
    MATTY and irk miller like this.
  12. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi!

Just so I get this right, are we supposed to discuss things in one long thread? On the Yahoo forum one could open up a new thread and post a question, it seems to me this is not how it works here?
  13. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Over here it usually leads to rambling ideas, but it also allows instant & complete communication. Sometimes we need to digress & refocus on a greater opportunity. If you have any thoughts or input to improve or fine tune, let's hear it. Feel free to poke in on any other bike threads & see how it goes. A huge social context makes the system work.
    SimonsonFlat and MATTY like this.
  14. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I understand how this forum works now. It is quite different from how the Yahoo group was organized, but like you say - the communication probably will be more free-flowing, or "rambling" here.

So let me ramble some to get it going: last week I pulled the complete wiring harness out of the bike, in order to check the cables for wear and replace old sticky electrical tape. I also want to be able to house most of the electric components in a shallow tray under the seat, including moving the ignition key there. Because of that I decided to get rid of the Starter Control Unit all together. This allowed me to remove two lenghty cables from the harness and as a bonus I replaced the fusebox with two in-line fuses which i will put in the headlight space. My starter motor will now because of this, engage even though the bike is not in neutral (or have the clutch pulled), which is the same way my car works so I don't see a big problem with that.

Have anyone else here done this "simplification" of the wiring, and what are your experiences/thoughts on it? I ask since I am a first time motorbike tinkerer and is interested in feedback so that I can learn and improve.
  15. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Never even thought that way. I went ahead with installing the kickstart mechanism from an XL500. My son engineered a suitable footpeg for the kick lever follow through. The starter still works, but as the parts get harder to find, mine will still start as long as I have 2 legs.

Out of town for the weekend, will post photos when back Tuesday
    MATTY likes this.
  16. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the kickstart conversion is something for later! I would love to see some pics.

Btw, it is a waste that the old yahoo group is not even open for searching anymore. It contains so much knowledge.
  17. ~JM~

~JM~ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Let's go off in a completely different vein; any expert carb tuners out there? I'm having a devil of a time getting an 82 FT500 Ascot running correctly with a 34mm TM Mikuni flat slide carburetor that I have installed on it. The bike absoutly refuses to run without the choke on. I've been fiddling with motorcycles and motorcycle carbs for the last 45 years, but this one's got me stumped. The carburetor is set up with the default jetting that comes with this carb: #50 pilot jet, 5FP17 needle (set in the middle of 5 notches), #P-2 389 series needle jet, #280 main jet, #1-1P slide, float height set at 18mm, the mixture screw is out 1 1/2 turns from seated, and the idle speed screw is turned in almost all the way. I've checked for air leaks, there are none. All passages in the carb are clean and clear. With the choke on the bike will idle, and when throttle is applied the motor accelerates through the rpm range. Take the choke off and the bike dies. By playing with the throttle with the choke off I can keep the bike running but it runs very ragged up through the entire rpm range, and as I stated refuses to idle. What am I missing?? Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated. THANKS!!
    oldguzziguy
  19. ~JM~

~JM~ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    OlleHell,
    I've done the same thing on an 82 FT500 Ascot "project bike". If you want to go one step further you can also eliminate the solenoid relay from the wiring harness. You can accomplish this by connecting the brown wire in the relay plug with the yellow/red yellow wires (same terminal) in the relay plug. I don't foresee any problems with this as there is no current going through these wires unless the starter button is pushed. Doing these modifications you can eliminate both the SCU unit and the solenoid relay and a bunch of extra wire. Simple is better??? oldguzziguy