1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda FT 500 Ascot Group

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Fishnbiker, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine out for some exercise today, this was my first street bike purchased new in 1982 and has been in the family since then. This has not been restored, original paint, original seat cover etc, 41Kms and runs great.

IMG_0357 Resize.jpg

I also have it's V Twin cousin.

IMG_0199 Resize.jpg
    Rusty J, strommonster, Scoozi and 3 others like this.
  2. wiguzziman

wiguzziman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice pair of Ascots. Thought I was the only one that kept a bike forever, but I see I have company. I have a 1976 Moto Guzzi 850 T3 that I bought new and still have it with 250,000 miles on it. Both of my FT500's (82 & 83) are low mileage compared to yours. The 83 has about 16,000 on it and the 82 has around 10,000. Nice to know that with proper care that they'll go that long. wiguzziman
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    250,000 miles is impressive. My second bike was a 1984 Honda 750 Interceptor I was going to trade in the FT but nobody wanted them and the trade value was so low I decided to keep it, it's been in the family ever since my Dad rode it for a few years then it sat in storage for 10 years until I dug it out about 5 years ago. The bike had a lot of the White Bros catalog thrown at it early in it's life and I still have a lot of the instructions saved in the shop manual binder. Arias 540 piston, copper head gasket, White Brothers cam, R&D valve springs, White Brothers exhaust with the Supertrapp can, stock carb rejetted, oil cooler and stiffer fork springs. I did have to replace the head gasket, valve seals and reseal the valve cover when it came out of storage.
  4. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    One more project go get through then my Ascot gets onto the work stand. Right now I'm working on my 95 Triumph Tiger. Getting it back to OEM for a "Collector" plate with reduced total reg & insurance. Got it in '97 & put 130,000 km on it. Anyone here have other projects too ?

2 days ago ...
    [​IMG]

Last night ...
    [​IMG]

This is primarily a repaint & reinstalling the original parts. The Ascot will be another major project. Plans include reversing some of the work my son did. His plan was to convert to flat tracking style with no front brake, all excess wiring & metal to be removed, new minimal seat, & 6L gas tank.

Its next incarnation will have dual disk brakes & be more of a cafe race style. Lot of fun fabrication & sitting, staring, & visualizing the next step. Something more like this ...
    [​IMG]
    the derailer and OlleHell like this.
  5. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked the VT500, typical Honda with their head up their ass, they put a fucking driveshaft on it.
    WTF.
    I also liked the 700 Nighthawk - Same deal, a fucking driveshaft?
  6. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200208_131729.jpg

For me the first phase is over, cleared out the triangle. Next I will try out the cb125-tank I've got.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  7. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Common problem? I have switched out the left side controls on the handle bar now, using a set from a donor-bike a friend has. Strangely enough I experience the same problem with these set of controls, and that is that when I pull the clutch, the front light goes out. It seems that there is a faulty ground-connection being made but why do both the controls have the same problem? Have anyone of you experienced this fault?

Olle
  8. the derailer

the derailer n00b

Oddometer:
    i am trying to do same thing with my ft deleting everything not needed....how about a little sketch how you wired yours...would be very appreciated
  9. the derailer

the derailer n00b

Oddometer:
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  10. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, yes let me try to create something. /Olle
    the derailer likes this.
  11. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't spend too long on it but look at the pics (photographed from a printed wiring diagram).

20200214_193513.jpg 20200214_193456.jpg 20200214_193450.jpg 20200214_193444.jpg
  12. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was of course my fault both times, had failed to connect ground up to the left side controls..
  13. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    This brings up an idea ... Any photos of other brand "Project Bikes" or interesting distractions?

My current main ride is a Suzuki DR 790 ...
    [​IMG]

My current project is my 95 Triumph Tiger, being cleaned up & returned to OEM for a "collector" licence plate ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I have just the FT.
  15. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Home made db-killler, thoughts?

Have an extremely loud Emgo Megaphone, so I need to quiet it down a bit.

20200307_152140.jpg
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    080D67A1-16C0-4C1B-8C5F-3715B1D62536.jpeg

I saw this one on the street in the Kensington section of Philly Saturday evening. Anyone here?
    Scoozi and Fishnbiker like this.
  17. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this would help of not, but get yourself some fiberglass motorcycle muffler packing. Comes in flat sheets and can be ordered from most motorcycle suppliers. Don't use fiberglass insulation from a big box store. I had to do this on a muffler that I ordered from JEMCO (actually ordered a full system). I told him it was for street use and he built a baffle core into the muffler . It was REAL loud and I got some muffler packing and wrapped as much of it as I could around the core while still being able to get the core back into the muffler shell. Quieted it down quite a bit. Only downside is you need to re-pack it every 2 or 3 years depending on how much you run the bike. wiguzziman
  18. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure my muffler is already packed like you described. This is the one I own:https://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/chrome-universal-megaphone-silencer-type-hooligan.html

I have been trying out different configurations of the db-killer I built and while some do quiet the bike down, the also rob me of the power when revving high, you can tell it's choked. Well, I will try out some more configurations, but do guys have any good tips of good looking mufflers that also sound nicely?

Thanks
  19. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Some of the guys on the old Ascot forum liked the F1 mufflers (hard to find) and I think they fit on the original FT500 exhaust header. I'm kind of a fan of the old Kerker aluminum exhaust cans myself. These usually take some kind of modification ,or adaper pipe to make them work on the FT500. I have Kerker cans on the current FT500 project bike and I also have one on my Honda GB500. They sound nice at idle and mid-range, but bark pretty good at higher revs. Some guys like the Suppertrapp mufflers with the disks (you can adjust the sound to your liking by changing the number of disks). They're a bit on the pricey side though, IMHO.
    wiguzziman
    OlleHell likes this.
  20. Son_of_a_Sailor91

Son_of_a_Sailor91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, this is my first post here so I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I recently bought a non running '82 FT500. Seemed like a fun project bike to keep myself entertained at home during this whole Corona thing.

Here's where I need your expertise, I wasn't getting spark and I traced it back to the stator/alternator(still not sure what it's proper name is) the white wire wasn't getting continuity to ground. I ordered a used one on ebay and tested it's continuity off the bike and everything was as it should be. Installed it and still no spark. I checked and now it doesn't have continuity to ground either.

It seems to me that either A, this used stator was about to fail and trying to start my bike pushed it over the edge or B, something in my bike is frying that particular connection in the stators. Both stators are still reading 85 ohms of resistance between the blue and white wires just no continuity to ground. I'd really hate to spend $220 on a brand new stator to just have it get fried as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing!
    Thanks in advance.