Honda FT 500 Ascot Group

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Fishnbiker, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

The foot peg issue is dealt with in one of the PDFs I mentioned in my above posting. You could PM me your email contact for some photos. My own photos are back a few pages here also.
  2. wiguzziman

wiguzziman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting your kicker project up and running!! Also a big THANKS for putting it all down on paper. I downloaded your "kickstart manual" and it's full of great information. I know what you mean about the battery thing. I have 2 kick only bikes (78 Yamaha SR500 & 86 Yamaha SRX600) and run them both with just a battery eliminator (big capacitor) to absorb any large voltage spikes. No need for a bettery tender on those two! :-). wiguzziman
    OlleHell and FT500 like this.
  3. vespa1954

vespa1954 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much!!!!

Sorry for the late reply, i saw your answer today!
    Now i can produce the missing washer!

greetings from austria
  4. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big congrats man! And thanks for documenting it. Here's me riding mine trough an empty Stockholm. I can also hear a tiny rattling noise on mine, or at least I think so?

FT500 likes this.
  5. FT500

FT500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also officially started my vintage racing FT500 build
    Started out with a very cheap but very neglected poor little thing of a FT
    20200615.jpg
    It had been sitting outside at the PO who was planning to make a bratstyle bike out of it.... I already have a Bratstyle FT so out with the bratstyle handlebars, FT forks, wheels and brakes and in with the CBR600F 1990 stuff I had lying around.
    20200619 02.jpg
    Next up was the rear wheel
    20200623 01.jpg
    She Thiccc
    20200623 02.jpg
    I quickly spraypainted the tank with some primer to prevent rust.
    20200625 01.jpg
    Trying to get her to run is next on the list and after that I'll be looking for some vintage fairing to fit
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Airtech in Vista California have the fairings you need.
  7. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I am suuper confused.

On the FT500 there is one indicator light in the dashboard that comes on when one of your blinkers are active. This light should according to the wiring diagram have the orange and light blue cable connected. What I can't understand how it gets ground? When I turn left and the left blinker is on, the orange wire gets power and the light blue is dead (not grounded). Vice versa when blinking right (LB gets power, orange is dead). So how the hell should this indicator light in the dashboard ever light up?

I have a feeling I am missing something real simple here.
  8. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Is the dash grounded, and the bulb socket grounded through the dash? I find that with electrics if they work as designed, just be thankful that they work!! :-) wiguzziman
  9. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, yea that could be. But that would mean that the people who designed this relies on that the dash indicator lamp has lower resistance than the flasher lamps, or else all flashers would blink simultaneously (like hazard lights) whenever you activate your flasher (since you create a loop between left hand flashers and right hand flashers). I have LED flashers and if I connect the orange and light blue wires like the wiring diagram I light up all flashers each time I signal left or right.
  10. ItalJap

ItalJap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, in that case the light blue is connected to ground via the 2x21W right blinker bulbs, i.e. a very low resistance, and that's how the dashboard light current finds its way to ground. (A very small current, so you won't see even a glow in the right blinkers).

But take care: if the blinkers are LED's, said very small current is sufficient to light up the other LED blinker. To stop that, remove the dash light leads, lengthen them with diodes (pref. Schottky rectifier 1N58 series, these all take 1A, ..17 for 20V is sufficient; they are small and have a minimal voltage drop), join the striped ends of the diodes, take that to where one of the (O or LBl) went. Connect the lamp terminal that was previously connected to the other one (LBl or O) now to ground=Green.
    Now when you turn left, the 'orange' current can go the L blinkers and the dash, but can't enter the 'blue' path, it's 'dioded' close.
    Try to do it nicely, you don't want to crush the diode/wire solder joints when you cram it all back in the headlight shell.
  11. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks a lot. Now I learned things (which I love) and know how to proceed. I knew there would be someone knowledgeable here that could help me! I will do what you described and get back to you with the result. (Won't happen in a couple of weeks due to that we are going away on vacation).

Cheers!
    Olle
  12. ItalJap

ItalJap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You obviously mean higher resistance.
    If all (as far as indicators is concerned) is cf. wiring diagram, LED indicators work as they should, but ONLY IF you remove/disconnect the orange dash light. To have a dash function again, do the diodes mod as in above post.

In case anyone noticed: my above 2 posts had some nonsense in it, so I edited (6/18 5:50 PM)
    OlleHell likes this.
  13. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there using Kenda tires on any of their bikes? I'm looking at a set of their "Retroactive" bias ply tires for my 78 Yamaha SR500. I couldn't find the sizes that I needed in my peferred brand of tires (Avon Road Riders). Looking for opinions/input, good, bad, or otherwise. Thanks for everyones time and response. wiguzziman
  14. ZCarFan2

ZCarFan2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow I failed to see this thread until now. My FT is awaiting top-end disassembly to locate a noise and helicoil some threads.
    OlleHell likes this.
  15. FT500

FT500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Small update on both my FTs.
    Took the Bratstyle FT for a trip around town last week. Had to carry a spanner in my back pocket to refit the footpeg after starting it with the kickstart but it was a lot of fun to hoon around town on. Some small things I still have to address. I think I have a small air leak somewhere because the bike doesn't drop in revs when moving. Does drop and idle nicely at a stop sign but on the road I have a bit of cruise control :D.
    I am also looking at buying a MIG welder so I can finally fabricate a proper footpeg mount that clears the kickstart
    20200814 01.jpg
    On the vintage racer FT, I mainly ordered some parts and mocked up the rear end.
    It is a Laverda seat that I shortened a bit, I like the look alot! Now searching for a nice front fairing, since the FT is so narrow and small it is hard to find one that doens't look stupidly huge.
    20200805 01.jpg
    20200805 02.jpg
    I tried to get the idea of what I am up to in photoshop colored.png

Will work on adjusting and properly mounting the seat this weekend. I'll also start working on the exhaust.
    Scoozi and Fishnbiker like this.
  16. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Hey FT500,

Nice looking bikes (both of them). I have my own FT500 Road Racer project going on (2 yr. project--so far). I just took all the body & fairing parts to the paint shop on Monday. I had an old Camber road race fairing from an RD350 Yamaha that I fitted to the FT500; after lots of surgery. It was time consuming to mount the fairing as I had no mounts of any kind (all had to be fabricated); plus as I mentioned lots of cutting/trimming on the fairing to make it work on the FT500.
    Mine isn't a bike for the race track, but a styling exercise and is/will be a street legal (US) road racer look alike. I'm not much for taking photos, but will try and get some taken and posted once all the items come back from the paint shop. Question: are the foot peg brackets on the race bike from an early Honda CBR600? wiguzziman
    FT500 likes this.
  17. FT500

FT500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an awesome build!
    Mine is registered for road use but I am building it for racing. Always good to have the reg though, I could slap some lights on it and test it on the street.
    I am not looking forward to making fairing mounts either, I have an old CBR top mount that I will most likely butcher to fit a top half.
    The footpegs are from the first generation CBR600F. Now only mounted to the upper bolt holes of the original footpegs. Have to come up with a better mounting solution. They do interfere with the standard exhaust and it will be a pain to snake it up between the footrest and swingarm
  18. FT500

FT500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some details on how I mounted the CBR600F1 footpegs.
    For the bottom mounting hole I used the upper mounting hole of the stock FT footpegs.
    For the upper hole I drilled a hole in the frame, ground a long nut round and stuffed this in the hole.
    It is a nice tight fit and already quite sturdy. I will definitely weld it all around later.
    20200823 03.jpg 20200823 04.jpg
    I also had to make a bend in the shifting mechanism but that was an easy fix
    Ground clearance is a lot better then stock on the left side. On the right side I have to change the position of the brake pedal. This sits a bit low and outward. Still better then stock but it hits the ground before the footpeg with potential dangerous results when riding the bike.
    OlleHell likes this.
  19. OlleHell

OlleHell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy all.

I guess the answer is somewhere on the ascot500 forum, but I'll ask here anyway:

what modifications are needed in order to have the ft500 front wheel (using only one brake disk) fit in the cbr600 f1 fork? I noticed the axle is 20mm instead of 15, just as an example.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
    Olle
  20. FT500

FT500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably quite a bit, I also do not see so many advantages as both forks are conventional 37mm forks, only benefit I can think of is the reduced length and that the Ascot has a leading axle and the CBR doesn't.
    Usually people just swap the total thing including front wheel to get a lighter wheel, more tire choice and dual brakes.

You will most likely have to fit new bearings in the wheel (with new center spacer) and I also think the speedo drive will have to be changed. I do not know if for instance the CBR one will work as the CBR wheel size is different.
    Next to that you will probably have to fit other spacers for the wheel and maybe even spacers for the brake disc and brake caliper...