Honda GB500 thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Spurlock, Aug 27, 2016.

1. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! It clearly got lots of love it's entire life.

You will always have a clash of styles putting a utilitarian accessory on a racer-styled bike, but your rack seems well made and largely follows the lines of the bike.

I do wonder if bending up the flat rear "carrier" section of the frame to match the lines of the forward section of the rack and the cowl, seat, and tank would encourage a racier look, and I dont think it'd hurt the rack's function. Could a tubing bender do the job without harming the chrome? Or, maybe better, also replace the chrome with gloss black powercoat: it would cost nearly nothing (£20 or less?), unlike going the other direction, from powdercoat to chrome, which would cost 10x the amount (ask me how I know!).

It would be great to see some pictures of the bike around town once you are allowed again. Here in the US (at least in my area of Southern California) thankfully there are no restrictions on street riding.

Good riding!
  2. flex2cv

flex2cv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    312FF2DE-EF05-4105-82A1-AA6D59001DEC.jpeg EDF43EF3-B41D-444D-AD03-F8479C681353.jpeg

Hi Just went for a spin and other than choke cable being wrong for the Carb it ran with oomph!

Did the Vacuum test and it struggle to rise on the VE30. Took the Diaphram and slide from the VE10 and the result was much improved. Noticed the spring in the VE30 carb was shorter and stiffer that the spring in the VE10. Do not know if this makes a difference but will only know if I throw it on the GB and see if the VE30 with the Spring and Slide of the 10.......

Stay tuned

Hard to find the rebuild for these except I have seen a VE7 which through pics looks like it might work.
    XRLated likes this.
  3. flex2cv

flex2cv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She looks like a beauty congrats and the rack I agree is a little non cafe......practical though
  4. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, sounds like you are zeroing in on the problem being something to do with the vacuum slide. I wonder if someone swapped springs. A stiffer spring would definitely reduce slide lift.

-Bill
    AnNoGBer likes this.
  5. Ghostship

Ghostship Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to getting out and about on the bike when things settle down. Hopefully then I'll post a few photographs along our scenic Antrim Coast Road. Think I'll stick with the rack as it is - the looks will hopefully grow on me. For info, it cost approximately £175 (including postage from Germany) although the way our exchange rate is fluctuating at the moment that figure could vary by + or - £25! Front tyre is rock hard and might be the original fitment Dunlop - will probably replace it with an Avon Roadrider. As with my XBRs I'll fit the bars and end weights from a Honda CBX550 - cables should be ok.
    I have a couple of other "lockdown" projects to keep me busy - a 1968 Honda CT90 which has made its way here from California and a 1974 Gilera Arcore 150 mini-thumper. I'm going to make the CT mechanically sound but retain it's oily-rag patina as we call it. The Gilera, who knows how it will end up! Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of non-GB images

All the best

Tony
    DSCF1781.JPG DSCF1273.JPG
  6. solidol

solidol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late to the party, but congrats on the purchase! Enjoy the ride, these bikes are wonderful machines.
    XRLated likes this.
  7. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the others in your collection Tony. That Gilera looks like a fun ride.

-Bill
    XRLated likes this.
  8. XRLated

Oddometer:
  9. Ghostship

Ghostship Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes thanks XRLated - I have seen those but they are expensive over here. Similar situation with one of my other bikes, a Kawasaki W650. I love to look of the Dunlop K81(?) which I think were standard fitment to the later W800 (not the new model W800). However I think a pair would be nearly £250 here. Supply and demand I suppose.

Regards

Tony
    XRLated likes this.
  10. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Today's Metallurgical Mind Twister:

** How do you transmute inobtanium into gold? **

** (polished aluminum, anyway)? **

Answer:

...dedicate lonely hours contemplating Yahoo! Japan Auctions,...
    size1-1.jpg

...make impassioned pleas for lady luck's gentle kiss,...
    bd5db42301175cf1e3e2f4ef041a4e54.jpg

...and make an electronic funds transfer.

Voila, my friends!

20200513_152337-1.jpg

Good things come to those who wait.

20200513_152429-1-1.jpg

(With cash in hand.)

20200513_151830-1.jpg

Aluminum never shined so sweet.
    kbuckey and solidol like this.
  11. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! So was the Japanese GB fuse cover aluminum instead of plastic?

-Bill
  12. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone on here knows?

Almost every fuse cover I've seen on Jauce is black plastic.

Wild speculation but maybe a few of the first Japanese GB500s had them. It seems more in line with the steel side panels, etc., but then Honda lost their source, or could the aluminum have proved somehow problematic, so they switched to plastic?

Or maybe the first XBRs had them?

There's no part numbers or other markings save "RK" surrounded by a circle, "-1."

20200513_192538-1.jpg
  13. august lehman

august lehman n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Scoozi likes this.
  14. XRLated

Oddometer:
    This one goes to show you can't win them all (particularly if you are so dazzled by a super low Yahoo! Japan Auctions price you don't pay close to the picture).

Does any know what bike this rear grab bar goes to?

i-img640x480-15707868613hpewf96.jpg

It was agreat deal and almost no corrosion, sadly, though, fails to fit the GB.

If I can ID it, I'll put it on eBay I guess.
  15. Claytonroy

Claytonroy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of eBay..

Here’s something I’ve got kicking around my storage - an unused, never even mounted Corbin dual seat for the GB500, still in the original box. I have the foot peg bracket kit for it also. 7D524398-D3E8-4F85-B743-A96B24C55880.jpeg

I’m debating whether or not I should auction it separately on eBay, or include it as a “spouse friendly” extra to entice bidders, as I’m planning to list my Batson equipped 1990 GB500 on Bring A Trailer later this month.
  16. Chankly Bore

Chankly Bore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it may be 84103-KN8-730 for the MK III GB400, but I am open to other ideas!
    XRLated likes this.
  17. XRLated

Oddometer:
    http://tachik.web.fc2.com/gb400/20060903.html

A corner of Tachi's site, a ride from years ago, showing some strange GB fashion and accessory choices, but I think I spotted an aluminium fuse cover:

Screenshot_2020-05-14-17-36-19-1.png

Under all that STUFF, anyone recognize the model and year GB400 it is? The aluminum fuse cover came stock maybe with that particular model?
  18. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Yep, CB, you are exactly correct. After your post I swapped the solo seat for the GB400 dual seat on the bike, and the grab bar is a perfect fit.

Looks like the GB 400 has differently spaced brackets to accommodate the GB400 grab bar; it doesn't bolt onto the GB400 frame.

Since the GB500 grab bar is covered over when the GB400 seat is in place, maybe the cool deal is to attach the GB400 grab bar to the dual seat instead of to the frame. This way, you have the traditional setup when the solo seat is on, but have the GB400 look with grab bar when you swap over to the dual seat. Winner!
  19. Chankly Bore

Chankly Bore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orright then, I got one right for a change! Now a little poser. I just had a spare set of side-covers and a fuel tank done for my Japanese GB500. The painter did a brilliant job, but I didn't bother to tell him to mask off the two plastic/nylon side cover bosses, part no. 83645-KN8-000. He therefore applied strenuous ignorance in effecting their removal. I suppose I could go blind trying to machine up new ones, but can anybody out there recommend either a really strong adhesive or an automotive trim clip that could be substituted? Cheers from Australia
  20. XRLated

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping other's chime in with other suggestions, but consider:

Pascofix, the chemical weld:

Lasts a long time if kept frozen, and includes a filler if needed.

I bought some and happy so far. I may use for cowl reinforcing? Still pondering that though. I've used it a few times with great success, but I'm still evaluating a bit before I try it on something I can't replace.
    Chankly Bore likes this.