Honda GB500 thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Spurlock, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of mine were too loose to stay put. I used a thick epoxy and added a pin for a mechanical lock. The epoxy is above and below the side cover bracket, and the pin was inserted into the wet epoxy. Paint was scraped off the metal first, and the plastic cleaned with acetone. I don't remember now whether the plastic already had a hole or gap to accommodate the pin, I think so? Also I always lubricate the frame grommets with a tad of silicone grease so side covers pull off with less strain on the plastic pegs.

[​IMG]

-Bill
    XRLated and Chankly Bore like this.
  2. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, I've also used this with good results:

Screenshot_2020-05-15-08-12-53-1.png

Comes in white, black (other colors maybe?).

Cut, sand, drill, paint.

This has been super useful to make parts and to repair stuff. Very hard plastic and sticks to various surfaces when wet, thereby somewhat glued to whatever when dry.
  3. XRLated

Oddometer:
    And just for completeness' sake, this:

Screenshot_2020-05-15-08-27-08-1.png

Dries to a hard rubber and also in various colors.
  4. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks just like mine. I tell you that thing is sooooo much more comfortable than the OEM. Plus I don't have to worry about screwing up the OEM (esp the fairing). Plus I an just strap stuff on it. Don't intend to put passenger footpegs on my bike.
    solidol likes this.
  5. Ghostship

Ghostship Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gb6.jpg gb2.jpg
    Hello August Lehman

Although some of the earlier GB400 & GB500s were fitted with a centrestand I don't think it is possible with the 89/90 model that you have. I use one of the scissor type jacks that lift the lower frame rails as shown in the photographs. They cost between £50 and £100. I think Spurlock has made a bracing bar which is small, compact and easily carried which allows him to raise the rear wheel off the ground in an emergency. I think there are photographs of it in some of the earlier posts. Hope this is useful.

Regards, Tony
  6. solidol

solidol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Draged my buddy out for a ride.

IMG_20200515_194926.jpg
  7. schnicks

schnicks Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. XRLated

Oddometer:
  10. XRLated

Oddometer:
    No more motorcycle riding? Or just no more GB?
  11. Greybeard1

Greybeard1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    The GB has left the building...
  12. wiguzziman

wiguzziman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greybeard1,

Don't feel too bad about the knees and shoulder. My oldest son just turned 53 and he's going in for a shoulder replacement on the 24th. Sorry to hear that you're giving up on the GB. There are several options for raising the bars on the GB. Maybe you should check into them before selling the GB. Good luck either way!! wiguzziman
    XRLated and Spurlock like this.
  13. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. XRLated

Oddometer:
    My lesson in humility today, courtesy of the US-version GB manual:

"No matter who the authority is, never disengage your common sense."

20200516_144102-1-1.jpg

20200516_144413-1.jpg
    I mean, what could 20-25ft-lbs extra torque applied to the upper shock mounting bolt matter anyway, right?

20200516_145521-1.jpg

Where'd I put my bolt extractors? They gotta be around here somewhere...
  15. solidol

solidol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most manufacturers, including automotive, including Honda are known for making crazy mistakes like that. I've seen wrong tq specs, counter productive way to r&r things, wrong p/n for both lubricants and parts. Common sense is great but it's not always common.
  16. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. Sadly, we are all in race against arthritis.

Have you ever tried a dual sport bike? Really great body position compared to a cafe, and maybe any other type bike (even better than a cruiser, maybe, depending on a person's particular condition). Maybe test drive a small light one.
  17. XRLated

Oddometer:
    I really should have known better. I've been doing this a while. I mean the diameter of the lower bolt must be 4 times that of the upper bolt and somehow it is the same torque? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I could have tightened it by feel is the saddest part. I just want this bike to be perfect, so, you know, best torque everything to spec.

Anyone else know that sinking feeling when the bolt you are tightening suddenly gets just a tiny bit easier to turn? That was my message sent from heaven to back off, gently thread the bolt out, toss, and replace, but I think I couldn't face the reality happening to me, and, I mean, I wasn't even close to 40ft-lbs, so I decided to tell myself "aw the threads must just be a bit off or dirty, everything's fine, keep going."

D'oh!

From now on, I check both books to see if they agree and cross reference against my experience and common sense.

Can't find my extractors, so I'll have to wait til a new set delivers Friday, giving the loc-tite plenty of time to set.

40ft-lbs.
  18. Chankly Bore

Chankly Bore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember I had a mate at Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in the long-gone days when Australia made something other than good coffee. He was an apprentice, and one of the old hands replied, when asked a torque setting: "Do it up 'til it strips then slacken it off half a turn."
    XRLated and solidol like this.
  19. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, never happened to me, definitely not, ha ha ha.

-Bill
    solidol and XRLated like this.
  20. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GB is pretty much a pain in the knee to me, but the ride is worth it. Even though I'm short both my DR650s have lowered footpegs and raised bars. Oh, and, of course, aftermarket seats. They are by far the most comfortable bikes I've ridden - for me. And, yes that includes my FJR and ZRX.
    XRLated likes this.