Honda GB500 thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Spurlock, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spurlock likes this.
  2. RunTMC

RunTMC n00b

Oddometer:
    Update on wiring new LED signals. Installed resistors and wired back signals for brake and turning. Stripped the fender and brake light. Love how it turned out.

Attached Files:

3. wiguzziman

wiguzziman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that really cleans up the rear of the bike nicely! Always thought the rear fender/tail light area of the GB was a bit "busy". I've been looking for a different taillight /TS setup, but haven't found anything I REALLY like yet. You've given me a few ideas . :-) wiguzziman
  4. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My personal favorite:

Screenshot_20200612-181002_4.png

Screenshot_20200612-180846_1.png

Very beautifully made, and solid.

Can you run with no dedicated tail light? In most locales, I always thought the brake light and turn signals need to be separate and the tail light red color.
  5. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at this tail light as well. It's expensive, but seems very well made. I found the company that makes this light, it's in Japan; but their website will not let me order one. When I try to check out I keep getting an error message. I've sent e-mails to the company, but never get a response. The company's name is WM Production team, the web site is a wmpdt.co.jp, and the e-mail address is Wellington@wmpdt.co.jp. The tail light part # is WM-1181. Anyone know about this company or how to contact/order from them???? TIA wiguzziman
  6. wynyard

wynyard n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey @XRLated! Thanks for the compliment ... this is mine ;-)
    In the meantime I have completed the whole picture with Thruxton style mirrors. Thanks to Bill/@Spurlock for the inspiration!

IMG_20181004_172756_processed.jpg
  7. wynyard

wynyard n00b

Oddometer:
    @wiguzziman yes, the taillight WM-1181 is exactly the one on my bike and the store you mentioned where my taillight is from. The quality is indeed excellent and also very solidly built. Unfortunately I can't tell you how you can order it there nowadays. I am sorry. Looks like the company doesn't really exist anymore, at least the webshop doesn't work anymore ...
  8. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    I was afraid of that. I was able to find them on Webike and one other Japanese site and they both showed them as discontinued. There is a blog connected to their website and there seems to be some fairly recent entries on that?? Maybe Covid 19 got em. :-(. wiguzziman
  9. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I can get you one. Will PM you shortly.
  10. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    XRLated, THANKS for doing all that leg work on the WM-1181 tail light. I looked at the one on the link you sent me; seems pretty rough for the amount that they want for it--more than the price of a new one. Then again, as you said, the law of supply and demand. If you do have one extra that you might want to get rid of I would be interested. The only one that I'm interested in is the one with the round tail light lens. I'm also in no hurry at all; whenever you get unpacked and all settled again get ahold of me an we'll see what we can work out. Not real great with a computer, but will try and monitor Jauce and see what comes up there. THANKS again!! wiguzziman
    XRLated likes this.
  11. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Glad to reciprocate for the group!

Since I'm lurking there already on my own behalf for other parts, I'll concurrently keep my eye on the auctions on your behalf for a nicer/cheaper version, and, if that fails, I'm pretty sure I ended up with more tail lights I can use that were near new condition and that I won for less than that current sketchy specimen.

Stay tuned, wiguzziman...
  12. XRLated

Oddometer:
    We have a new cowl "crazy price" winner:

i-img600x450-1601125436fws7xm180.jpg

Screenshot_20200926-225059.png

About $450 US before fees and shipping.
  13. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    B9DEA0BF-73E5-4F22-801E-3D9227B4FC3D.jpeg

2B635330-1358-480A-91EC-C336640CEEE5.jpeg

8A57E911-22D8-4D52-B9F8-F4795D4FABB5.jpeg

M 579A7A8E-20E3-4B7F-ABAB-3A54E36EDE56.jpeg

Snagged another GB, this one slightly different, Supertrapp, Shotmeier (?) header pipes, Hagons, XR600 cylinder and piston, stainless brake line.

Currently looking for oem mirrors and one bar end weight, (internal and external), and the screw. Not available from CMSNL, ebay or Jauce currently.
    AZbiker, Scoozi, XRLated and 2 others like this.
  14. wiguzziman

Oddometer:
    Sharp looking pair of GB's!! Got a couple of questions about the one with the fly screen. What brand is the fly screen/where did you get it? Second where did you get the tail light? Is it a completly different tail light or just the bulb/reflector part? You mentioned that the "new to you" GB has a 600cc conversion set-up. A while back one of the other forum members mentioned something about using the XR600L head/cam cover combination for this conversion. I was under the impression that the GB500 head could be used with the 600cc conversion. Anyone with experience on this care to comment? I'm looking at doing this conversion and would like to get the straight scoop on the issue of which head to use.
    Thanks!! wiguzziman
  15. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fly screen is a Dart.

Tail light is just a cheap one from ebay, requires a little modification to mount it.

According to the prior owner who installed it himself, the bike has XR cylinder/ piston with GB head, currently has just about 10k miles on this set up.
  16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jethrocephus and XRLated like this.
  17. XRLated

Oddometer:
    I can't talk myself into buying this tank myself as I already have two gas tanks, but it is rust free and might be able to be repaired to decent shape without requiring an expensive full repaint with new decals, etc.? Maybe nearly good as new with just dent repair and spot touch-up, maybe?

The auction just ended, but maybe the seller will relist it for sale if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GB50...e&nma=true&si=cNiA%2BN94jvANHXGBEu6wsAC6mm0%b 3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Screenshot_2020-10-08 Honda GB500TT gas tank eBay.png
  18. Ghostship

Ghostship Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks - hope you are all keeping well.
    Over the past 4 months I've been working on the GB500 I picked up earlier this year - the bike was in good condition and much of this related to making sure that finish is preserved. However I'd left the engine casings with someone for polishing in early July but unfortunately a two week job turned into a nearly three month job. I have fitted one of Jack Batson's exhausts which looks fabulous. For the time being I'm using the standard carb, airbox and filter. Jack had suggested with this arrangement using jetting of 52 pilot, 152 main and a 1mm needle shim at his elevation. I'm in Northern Ireland at roughly sea level elevation and was wondering what jetting any UK riders are using for the same set up - I understand many opt for the 40mm Mikuni upgrade but just wanted to see what setup worked for them.

Regards and stay safe

Tony
  19. Ghostship

Ghostship Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify in relation to my post above the bike is one of the 1989 US models

Regards

Tony
  20. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    And now for something completely different, here's another bit of Aussie humor and history from forum member Chankly Bore:

" I suppose this is a brief explanation of how I developed an interest in motorcycles. It is entitled “VISITING DAI”
    We have come to Euroa, sleeping in its winter woodsmoke, long bypassed and slowly dying. We are visiting Uncle Dai for the last time. We look in at his cottage and then go on to the Base Hospital at Shepparton. We are three, my mother Gwlithyn, my aunt Dilys and I. We find Dai lying uncomfortably in bed, his arthritic joints audible in their movement. He looked at his two sisters with a dark brow and asked, “Well, what are you two doing here?” My mother tearfully replied “Oh, Dai, we came to see you.” He scowled and replied, “Well, you've seen me!” I see his familiar tattoos, faded by years. He joined the British Army in 1933, originally as a groom. He served right through the Second World War. There were always motorbikes, a “Big Port” A.J.S., a “Black Alpine” Brough both before the War and with his demob. pay an Ariel “Square Four”. His son Robin still recalls riding on it. A few family reminiscences from these times. He had his brother John on the pillion pad, giving him a lift into Rhayader. “You right, John?” “Alright, Dai “, said John a little too confidently. With that he dropped the clutch, and John. He shot my mother in the backside with an air pistol while she was bending over a washing basket. Later, he lost compression mysteriously on his A.J.S. Suspecting a stuck valve he kicked uselessly for some minutes until my mother held up the spark plug! “Looking for this?” was the taunt. I had no father around as a child, so I can still remember the excitement I felt when he came down the gangway of the “Fair Sea” at Port Melbourne. He simply left a note on the table of his home in Wales for his daughter. It read “GONE TO AUSTRALIA”. His Welsh accent was so beautiful in balance and intonation that I always claimed he could entertain anyone merely by reading the contents of a cereal packet.
    When my mother was well into her eighties I put her on the back of my Moto Guzzi and rode all the way to Euroa to see Dai. We pulled up as his gate in Birkett Street. We noticed he had planted a California Redwood on his nature strip even though he would never see it more that twenty feet tall. He was halfway down the drive pruning roses. On hearing the bike he looked up and came to us, leaning on the gate. He ignored me and simply said to his sister, “You bloody idiot.” He suffered a little in his last years from religion; he was, after all Chapel bred, so it was an enormous privilege I felt when he recounted this tale from his youth. He was with a couple of other lads installing gas cooking ranges in a Girls' School somewhere in South Wales. The three lads were eating their lunch sat against a sunny brick wall. An elderly caretaker was sweeping nearby when the gym mistress walked past. The old buffer leaned on his broom, following her with his eyes and remarked “Duw, what a cracker, I wouldn't mind a night in the sheets with that one!” The Chapel-bred lads rebuked him for his impure thoughts, to which he replied---”Boy, when you stops thinkin' about it, you is dead!” "