1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda GB500 thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Spurlock, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Chet Jr

Chet Jr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes - I have the Batson exhaust on a few of my GBs.
    It is the best currently available GB exhaust but it does have some issues.

The best solution is a custom exhaust based on the Honda race specs
  2. Chet Jr

Chet Jr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. jethrocephus

jethrocephus His Honorable Right Minister of Flying Monkeys Supporter

Oddometer:

Chet Jr, nice looking GB600, I'd love to hear more about the engine. Also, will the LSL handlebar kit require new cables/ if so, are they provided in the kit?

Thanks,

Jeff
  4. Chet Jr

Chet Jr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeff -
    Yes the LSL kit includes handlebar, riser and a braided stainless brake cable. IMG_0580.JPG
    jethrocephus likes this.
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous bikes.

Honda should have made something similar again, as I believe it would be a big seller, given the interest in smaller displacement bikes.

I'm happy to see the passion current owners exhibit for the bikes.
    Kiba and jethrocephus like this.
  6. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks viajero, I agree that Honda seems to be missing out on the nostalgia side of the market. The retro GB styling combined with the reliability and performance makes an appealing combination, mainly I suspect, to those of us with grey hair. But hopefully the younger generations will continue to value classic vintage bikes.

Thanks, for me at least passion is an apt word.Some of my GB eye candy for you . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Papacycle

Papacycle n00b

Oddometer:
    Boy, am I glad I found this site; have instantly picked up several valuable insights and hints. As a point of interest i mention the following: in the early 2000's, I dallied with flipping bikes, like others did with houses; in approx a year, I purchased 9 gb500's, all with very low mileage and like new condition. I kept one with 2200 miles which I use as one of my daily riders, sold the others for $4400 to $5500. Am aware of one with 2 miles, but no luck in acquiring it----yet!
    Papacycle
  8. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my old one, (long gone now) yellow as found, and silver as I sold it. This is an early edition, often mistaken as a Japan home market bike, but this is wrong as far as I know, as the Japan version was the GB400TT, they had strict size limitations for home market use back then, which has now been lifted, hence the reason they are buying loads of Kawasaki Z1 series bikes now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the same bike after I did some work on it to put it back on the road..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DisturbedDonut and Mudclod like this.
  9. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings Kevin, great job you did banishing that awful yellow paint! Did you ride it much during the time you owned it? How many Km. did it have on the clock?

-Bill
  10. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode it a fair bit, but found the whole setup a little narrow for me, it was an MPH bike, no Km's 23000 miles.

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  11. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Combatscoot and Mudclod like this.
  12. Chet Jr

Chet Jr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI -
    Please note that the Honda GB400 fairing does NOT fit the GB500 without a LOT of extra work. Little details like different wiring harness locations etc. etc.

A better solution would be to modify the aftermarket Ducati 900SS fairing from EGU (Germany) to fit.
    bran.c likes this.
  13. bran.c

bran.c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    The bike was originally imported to the uk and the original kph speedo was replaced with a mph speedo from an xbr, I don't like having odd clocks and would prefer an original type
  14. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification. Just curious, have you fitted a similar fairing to any of your GBs, and how would you describe the effect on riding comfort etc.? I installed a full fairing on a CB350F many years ago but can't remember much about it.

-Bill
  15. Chet Jr

Chet Jr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just my opinions-
    I really love the look of a GB500 with a full "dustbin" racing style fairing but unfortunately it's not really suitable for anything except road racing.

The bikini fairings like the GB400 and the aftermarket modified Ducati are somewhat more suitable for street use but still not really practical for actual riding.

The various headlight fairings like the Emgo can be a worthwhile addition depending on your height and riding style. You really need to try them out though to see if the airflow changes work for you. They are inexpensive enough to try and really easy to remove if you don't like the results / appearance.

I have used the Triumph headlight fairing on a GB for long rides with good results.

My favorite GB uses a custom Digidash which helps to direct the airflow without destroying the clean looks or being susceptible to side winds.

Chet
  16. bran.c

bran.c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Few more questions, just wondering what the recommended tyre pressures are for the gb500 and any measurements for chain adjustment, an owners manual would be handy but parts for these bikes are very thin on the ground and I'm getting lots of help here Chet, any pics of your digit ash setup?
    Thanks
  17. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello bran, for tire pressure the manual states 29psi front and 33 rear. For the drive chain, slack should be between 3/4" and 1-1/4", my figures, don't have the manual in front of me. I like to sit on the bike to bring the swing arm level and make sure there is at least 3/4" slack at that tightest point.

-Bill
  18. bran.c

bran.c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    brilliant thanks Bill
  19. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill:

I think if Honda had used the first photo of the trio in post #106 above in an ad campaign the GB might still be in their lineup.

What an evocative picture.

Ned
    bran.c likes this.
  20. Spurlock

Spurlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ned! Or how about one of these?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EdM, Mudclod and bran.c like this.