HONDA GL1100/EML question.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by flexfoot, Apr 5, 2019.

1. JimX

JimX .. .

Oddometer:
    For emergency use, there are many "space saver" spares in 15" that will get you home. I would not want to try wrestling one of those onto a rim with hand tools, but it IS an option.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I have TPMS on all my rigs that give me pressure readings as I ride. On a hot summer day with a load in the bike those 42psi (cold) tires will be pushing 46 to 48 lbs. I'd guess. And they'll be hot hot hot! Too much for me, thanks. Can you take a look at the sidewall on those two tires and see what the Max Pressure is listed at? Just curious. I realize you've been running it this way for 8 years without a blowout but I'm still curious.
    2004ret likes this.
  3. 2004ret

2004ret Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drone,
    Thanks for the heads up - I store this rig at a different location and will not be able to access the rig and check stampings on the tires for a month or so. I have been running the stated tire pressures for the last two years, maybe for 3,000 miles. That said, I took a quick look at the Coker website and found that for the Firestones they sell, the max loads are stated at 44psi. I share your concerns about tire loadings, and I need to check the rear - I am happy that this rig weighs significantly less than the rated capacities for the front and chair tires at 44psi and I will confirm that the rear does not exceed capacities as well. I also do not run this Rig in high temperatures that quickly elevate the tire pressures - First and last time time I ran in high temperatures was over the Siskiyou Pass back in 2011 enroute to Alaska, and heard the alternator go pop. The bike held up north to Homer, and returned to San Diego thru Dawson City south to Fresno, Ca for a precautionary lets change this alternator before the Los Angeles mayhem. Gotta love these Goldwings!
    Jim
  4. 2004ret

Oddometer:

Drone - Finally back with my first Rig and examined three tires for max pressure ratings - The front and sidecar Firestones each read 44 max psi and the rear Michelin XZX reads 51 max psi - I was pleased to read that. That said, I agree that actual running pressures need to be carefully watched, particularly when running in high temperatures. Jim
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Your front tire is rated 695 lbs at 44 psi. Unless the actual weight on the tire is close to that I wouldn't run the tire at its max. I think that if it was me I'd be starting each morning with a cold front tire at around 40 psi. But "cold" for me is around 40-50° F. Down there is San Diego I'm guessing it's a little warmer so your 42 is sounding pretty good.
  6. 2004ret

Oddometer:
    Front tire with me aboard sees 453 pounds and the rear tire 621 pounds. Chair sees 260 pounds, all as measured at the public scale. Thanks for your comments on this. Jim
    DRONE likes this.