Honda GROM (MSX125)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    fashtaco likes this.
  2. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tell everyone suspension first on these. We have done nothing else that even comes close to comparing as far as making the bike more enjoyable to ride.
    The Ohlins for the front is 275 bucks and a Yss shock is less than that. It really transforms the bike from a riding standpoint, as well as, increasing ground clearance.
    greasyfatman, fashtaco and Night_Wolf like this.
  3. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Best mod on "most" motorcycles (especially so called "budget" bikes) is an upgraded suspension :deal
    fashtaco and Big John Sny like this.
  4. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is funny, since the front end doesn't dive as much under braking, it makes the stock brakes feel more responsive. Since you carry more speed through the corners it makes the bike feel less underpowered (not relying on the engine so much to get up to speed). The rear of the bike squats so much less now. You can see the difference in the first two pic I have above, the first is after the suspension and the second is before the suspension. You can see the muffler nearly hitting the ground in the second (and did drag on the ground in some corners). After the suspension my knee is down well before the aftermarket pegs touch down.

It is the mod, I wish we had done first.
    Night_Wolf and fashtaco like this.
  5. fashtaco

fashtaco n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you know anyone that went with the adjustable racing bros front vs. Ohlins? Curious how they compare...I was looking at Ohlins but like the adjustability of the other.
  6. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few people go that route. They all seem to like it. I would have gone that way, but my son got me too good of a deal on the Ohlins to pass up. I have no personal experience to see how much of a difference the adjustments make. The biggest improvement is in, just having a low speed, and high speed circuit. The stock is essentially just an orifice damped suspension. Once you update it to a "cartridge" design, that is the big improvement. I cant see having more adjust-ability being a bad thing. There are definitely some fast guys using the racing bros. I am actually running racing bros rear shocks on my Harley. They seem to make good quality stuff. And, same as the Grom, running full cartridge stuff on the Harley is also my favorite improvement to the bike :)
    fashtaco likes this.
  7. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    BCC, fashtaco, TheOtherBart and 2 others like this.
  8. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    33B6A1B1-AB56-4F58-A8A4-97E58799D4B5.jpeg
    When we first started doing this, we used a ttr125 with street tires. A lot of guys still use kx65 two stroke bikes for the endurance portion. Ovale and Kayo make up more of the field in the sprints, but still some grins and motard stuff.
    It is a very cool group. Was started back when the YSR50’s came out. It is formula 5,6 and 7 classes. they use big kart courses, where these bikes really shine and can be put to their full limit.
    apparently the Nicky and Roger Hayden use to race in it when they were kids. We still have some of the Motoamerica guys that race in it.
    Great place to get a ton of seat time in for little money outlay.
    Sadly, I thought I was fast till I actually competed on a track against fast people. :D
    fashtaco, Night_Wolf and Mr Pou like this.
  9. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    The first season was great, everyone on stock 50's, the only mods were BMX bicycle handle bars to fit over our knees and scooter tires. Then the next season some guys showed up with pipes and jet kits, then big bore kits, then other guys started showing up on 70's. At that point I said fuggit and sold the 50 to a racer friend to use as a pit bike.
    Night_Wolf and Big John Sny like this.
  10. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can get out of hand with all of this stuff too. They have a "stock" class for Groms, in TMGP and in CMRA. Of course, stock just means a stock engine and fuel injection, and a few things like sprockets, ect. You can still add suspension, footsets, wheels, exhaust, ect.
    When we first started doing it, it just seemed like our suspension holding us back, but last year everyone was running away from us on the straights. I know a lot of the CMRA races are on bigger tracks. Not sure if people were bending rules, or if the things like carbon fiber wheels, ect were making that much difference, but we are starting to be noncompetitive on the straights.
    fashtaco likes this.
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Both comments are solid TRUTHS :(
  12. Mr Pou

Oddometer:
    Yeah, when we were all riding matched bikes and it came down to skill it was great fun. When it started to be a spending match I was out.
    fashtaco and Big John Sny like this.
  13. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's on my list, but with the kind of riding I do on it right now getting a little more stoplight-to-stoplight zoom and some funner noises are bigger priorities. :ricky
    fashtaco and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. fashtaco

fashtaco n00b

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the insight - I’ll likely go with racing bros and report back. I live in an area where you get everything from moon dust to hard pack to lava rock, so adjustments sound nice.

Have you jumped it or hit whoops/rocks with some speed with the Ohlins? Curious how much it takes to bottom out with the upgrade vs stock.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  15. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    personally, we have had it exclusively on the track since the suspension swap. No jumps. All the tracks are relatively smooth other then when you take it a bit off track. So far it has actually handled that pretty well too. The new suspension does have much more ground clearance and is harder to bottom out, we were bottoming out the stock suspension with hard braking and cornering.

The suspension is pretty good for doing this to the tires ;)
    63ACA8EB-3EEC-4B86-856F-645633232C9F.jpeg
    BCC, fashtaco, Night_Wolf and 2 others like this.
  16. fashtaco

fashtaco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hah that’s awesome man - also didn’t realize you gain a little clearance too, great news.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  17. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my MZ 500 and picked up enough cash to buy me a used 2019 Grom. it has 500 miles and a lowering kit. I already installed a set of Shinko Mobber knobbys and have on order a set of KLX 110 handlebars, 30mm bar risers, 2014 longer clutch cable, seat concepts seat, and a fly screen from Thailand ( I hope i get it) . Next month i was going for the youshma exhaust but yesterday I just took a sawsalls to the muffler right after the cat and i kinda like the sound. It also cleans up the side of the swingarm. I can post a pic later if anyone is interested. Nice that the farkles are reasonable for this bike ...except a good name brand exhaust.
    Honda Grom.jpg
    Night_Wolf, fashtaco and TheOtherBart like this.
  18. fashtaco

fashtaco n00b

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Post photos of the build. If you end up need a longer clutch cable, I got an extra 4” cable from Steady Garage for my klx bars (it was engaging full lock left). Also you probably already know this trick but I just taped my new cable to the old one and pulled it through so I didn’t have to take the fairings off to route it.
  19. familyman

familyman I have bad ideas

Oddometer:
    I like to check into the Grom threads every couple months as we race one in TMGP (won the stock Grom endurance championship last year) and I had to stop scrolling when I saw a picture of my kid on ADV Rider.
    They've opened up the class this year and there is no stock Grom class anymore, just a limit of 125cc and let your imagination and pocket book run wild. We'll see how that goes. Our limiting factor against the fast guys isn't HP, it's talent.
    Night_Wolf and Big John Sny like this.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is awesome. If you need me to, I will crop down the picture. Wasn't thinking about others that might be in the background. I am sure she was getting ready to pass me. :D
    Yeah, we have picked up some parts to give ours more power. We were getting pulled on down the straights last year. We were trying to figure out if we had hurt our motor previously or if there was something else we have set up wrong. I am slow, but we have a couple other riders that are pretty fast.
    Unfortunately, I am not going to get to race this years since I completely detached my Perennial Tendons. There were a few really fast groms out there last year. I know a lot of the guys running groms in TMGP are also running in CMRA. Did they change rules also?