Honda GROM (MSX125)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics of the exhaust after i cut off the muffler and the actual muffler where I cut it off. I figured if I didnt like it I could tig weld it back together real easy. It now has a lower growl to the sound. I also thought about removing the exhaust and cutting open the cat from the top and gutting it and welding it back together. Probably wasting my time, sooner or later I will fork out $550 for the Youshimura R2 exhaust ,it just looks cool .
    grom rear.jpg grom exhaust cut.jpg
    grom exhaust.jpg
  2. Little General

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever order from Gromstunts? I ordered a set of handlebars from Gromstunts on April 2 this year and they charged my card and said item shipped. The only way to track the item is through the Shop App. So, I downloaded the app and all it says is "shipped". So Monday the 12 of April I sent an email to Gromstunts and asked about shipping info.....no response. I called their customer service number at various times of the day and got the we are closed send email. Called the sales number and got the same response. The call waiting music sounds like a group of 12 year olds are running a parts business out of their garage. I may be a little early on this but I contacted my American Express Card and they put a stop payment on transaction until they respond to me. I own my own company and all that separates me from my competition is how I treat people and customer service.
  3. Little General

Oddometer:
    Im changing my oil this weekend . The bike has 600 miles and I just bought it. Should I clean the oil slinger? I hate to open up the engine without a spare gasket.
  4. Daltanian

Daltanian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine with 5500 miles and don't think the oil spinner had ever been cleaned based on the owner's remarks/habits.

Mine wasn't too bad when I did it shortly there after. I bought a spare gasket, but didn't end up using it as the old one came off cleanly.

If you want to check it without a new gasket I think you'd be fine if you just take your time. If you don't want to clean it for a while, I think you'd be ok too.

Might not help much, but basically think either option is viable. For what it's worth, the owners manual recommends 7500 miles intervals for the spinner.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 with ~300mi on it. Super fun to ride, just never really choose to ride it...

Anyhow, I'll be listing it this Spring. With so few miles, think changing the oil would be wise? It's still pretty darn clean from a sample I took.
  6. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would since the manual says to change it once a year regardless of mileage. 1qt of oil is cheap insurance.
  7. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kinda what I was thinking too. Thanks for the confirmation bias! :jack
  8. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might get a chance to goof around on a small dirt oval with my Grom, any suggestions for good flattrack tires in this wheel size?
  9. Little General

Oddometer:
    I finally got a reply from Gromstunts about my order after my AMEX cancelled the order. The reply came from a different company stating they just got my pro taper bars in and would be shipping them out in a day or so. This was 2 weeks after my order was placed and I only ordered because they were in stock. I replyed back to cancel my order since I had went another way. It’s poor business to list items in stock when it’s obvious they are not stocking anything. I guess it gets them into the “ballgame “ so to speak. Even Amazon won’t put up with a company saying something has shipped when it’s hasn’t. I ordered from Revzilla and got my bars when they said. But still after my planned vacation that I took my grom with me ....with no pro taper bars.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. Little General

Oddometer:
    Got my Yoshimara Exhaust put on. It’s a work of art. Sounds awesome. CCB84218-8D47-490E-8017-B97BFEE5C86A.jpeg
  11. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing and cut a hole to add a larger diameter exhaust pipe that runs parallel with the cat. I honestly don't know who Honda added that muffler as there's hardly any difference in sound without it, just a little deeper.

IMG_1420.JPG

How it sounds...

(21) Honda Grom free stock muffler mod 2.0 - YouTube
  12. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Blows grass in the road

Oddometer:
    I wish I had a yosh for mine, but I just can't bring myself to spend nearly a quarter of the price of the bike on an exhaust.
    Bounder and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely... AND the oil screen.

The first time is the most important because of any loose stuff from assembly. If you're careful, you can reuse the gasket. when all the screws are out gently tap the case with a rubber mallot while holding onto it to loosen it. Then slowly separate the case to see if the gasket is sticking. If you're lucky it will all adhere to one side or the other. If not, to not completely remove the case. Instead use a putty knife to separate it so that it stays on only one side. when it's free, then remove the case, and you're good.

While my case was off, I carefully broke the gasket free and coated just one side of it with silicone so that side would always stick. And the next time the case needed to be removed, the gasket would always be stuck to just one side :-)
  14. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I love those Yoshi pipes, but as blue beetle says they are rich for my blood.
    DG sell pretty reasonably priced pipes and while not as cool as Yoshi are still a lot better looking than the stocker.
    Here's mine with the DG pipe installed, there is quite a weight saving with that pipe, but its too loud without the db killer tips.
    I'll try and upload a vid as well.

Attached Files:

TheHeretic likes this.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My Honda Forza 300 stock muffler is too heavy. The CAT is right next to my rear brake caliper. Everything gets too hot.

I want to look at a lighter muffler with no CAT.

I wonder if I can take a pry bar and destroy the CAT to reduce the heat?
  16. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I would say a slitting disc in a 4.5" grinder and cut the seam of the cat, then remove the contents and get a welder to mig the seam closed again.
    Breaking the cat up is difficult and dusty, DAMHIK.
  17. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Groms where everywhere at the Barber Small Bore event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chased one around the track.

[​IMG]

Groms seemed to win most of the dirt races.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grom on the hillclimb.

[​IMG]

There were more Groms than any other bike by a wide margin.
    Ginger Beard, Chillis, TimCC and 4 others like this.
  19. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned both the first and second generation Groms. I was able to get really comfortable on the first gen, but I could never get the ergonomics right enough on the second generation. I’m 5’ 10”, with a 32 inch inseam. I really like the flat seat of the third gen, and the fifth gear should make riding in the mountains much more manageable. On the prior gens, third gear was often too short, and fourth gear was too tall, meaning I was cruising at high rpms in third because fourth didn’t have enough power to climb the hills.
    I’m not interested in flat out performance on a bike like this, I do however like to run a good fun pace in the twisties. I could see getting another Grom, setting up the suspension, and calling it good.
    Night_Wolf, TimCC and alex4515 like this.
  20. Dav101

Dav101 Been here awhile

Oddometer: