Honda GROM (MSX125)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Jun 9, 2016.

1. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Behold the beauty of the $75 Kemimoto full exhaust. It's lighter than stock and sounds much better to boot. I'm sure it's nowhere near as good as the name brands but it's more than good enough for who it's for.

There was no mounting hole for the strap around the can so I just drilled the passenger peg mount casting. The can is touching the bottom of the peg but I don't think it will cause any problems.

PXL_20210722_183305766.jpg
    y2blade, Night_Wolf and CrapKerouac like this.
  2. blue72beetle

blue72beetle Blows grass in the road

Oddometer:
    Have you done anything else to the engine? Notice any difference other than noise?

I've been thinking about getting one of those.
    TheOtherBart likes this.
  3. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't really have any way of knowing, partly because I went down a tooth on the countershaft last week and didn't ride enough in between to distinguish changes due to the exhaust from changes due to the gearing. With those two changes I'm definitely enjoying it more, and that's about the only performance metric I'm interested in on this bike.
  4. kwabanza

kwabanza Doing Honda's Bidding

Oddometer:
    Greetings!

Long story short: I was going to buy a 2021 Monkey 125 and instead went for a 2022 GROM in yellow. My reason was that there is a stop sale on Monkeys due to a recall on tires. My GROM should be here in about 2 weeks. Can't wait to take it for a spin!
    Bounder, Night_Wolf and TheOtherBart like this.
  5. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WAAYYY too much information....
  6. Max-Q

Max-Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the '21/'22 Grom flat seat will fit a 2017 Grom? For me, the OEM seat is good for 2+15. The good is one can stand up at a stop-light to stretch a bit!
  7. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    Finally got my GROM! Gotta love the blue one. Such a great color in person. Plus I've never owned a blue motorcycle either. I owned a 2013 and a 2017 and I have to say that the 2022 vintage does not disappoint.

[​IMG]
  8. alex4515

alex4515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The blue looks great!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. Max-Q

Max-Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed!!!! When do the mod's begin?
  10. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    No mods for me. May be switching panels to a different color... Some countries get a nice grey/ silver like this:

[​IMG]
    y2blade and dp064 like this.
  11. Max-Q

Max-Q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a nice color also. Not so much the yellow. Then again, what do I know - mine is Lemon Ice Yellow!
  12. furygan

furygan Long Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks fun enough - I've considered one but I wonder how the 12" wheels handle the potholes here in Houston. May be a Super Cub would be better for downtown? What do you think?
  13. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    I thought about the CT125 but they are unobtainium at the moment. The Super Cub has a fob which I'm not a fan of. I like the GROM's riding position a lot. 5 gears is better than 4 IMO but it's fine either way. I don't think there are a lot of differences between a GROM or a Super Cub or a CT125. It's a matter of preference. Get what you like.

Honda still hasn't brought the blue/ gray Super Cub. That one would tempt me. If it had a red seat.

[​IMG]
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    See the Super Cub holds no interest to me, but the GROM, Monkey & CT125 all do. If one was offered as a 150 cc or the 150 X-ADV made it to Canada, I could be very tempted
  15. furygan

furygan Long Time Rider

Oddometer:
    While a 150 cc sounds tempting, 125 cc is the magic number is many countries.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. Two Up & Pup

Two Up & Pup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on Houston specifically, but these little bikes are so maneuverable I just slalom through any pot holes or imperfections. I picked up a pair a couple weekends ago and they are probably the easiest to ride bikes I have ever had. They take absolutely no effort. Just get on, blast through the gears and go. Not going to go anywhere fast, but they are a lot of fun to just throw around.
    alex4515 likes this.
  17. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped by my Honda dealer yesterday to order a new mirror for my wife's super cub. They had several Groms and Monkeys in stock. When I bought her the SC, I was looking for a stock first gen Grom for me. Couldn't find one, but the dealer had a blue Monkey arriving in a few days, so I got it. I love the Monkey. We have lots of fun cruising around together. Since then I bought a Ruckus for a errand running /lunch getting machine at my weekend /evening hangout, which is 35 miles from home. A friend there is a big fan of the ruckus. I've had fun on the Ruckus, but if a proper colored Trail 125 or Grom would have been available, I may have gotten that instead. Now that the Groms are showing up at dealers, I'm considering trading in the Ruckus. I've decided against the Trail because it's geared a little too low for street riding. But the new 5 sp Grom seems about perfect, if some sort of cargo capacity could be added. I'm pretty sure that I don't need another minimoto. I have my venerable VStrom listed for sale. If it sells, and I gave up the Ruckus, I'd still be downsizing, right? It's terrible for me to have to rationalize such a situation. I've had so much fun on the Monkey in the last year, and still try to shift the Ruckus everytime I ride it.
    Any thoughts on my terrible logic?

Thanks, Ryan
  18. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    May be you want to wait for the 2022 Monkey? It comes in black or yellow and should start showing up at dealerships soon. If you don't want to wait, I'd say go for a GROM. You won't regret it. They are so fun! The new GROM is a little faster too if that matters to you.
    y2blade and Night_Wolf like this.
  19. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not doing anything this year, but trying to come up with long term plan. The Ruckus is easy and good for the short rides when I'm there. Took the Monkey out for a 30 mile ride this evening. It was hot, but I had an enjoyable ride with a stop at the grocery store for a few items. I'll continue to follow this thread to see how the 22s are liked by everyone.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    I gassed up for the first time today: 115 mpg. Not bad!

I did a breakfast run to a local French bakery. Words don't describe. Yum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]