Honda Hybrid and Electric PCX for 2018

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by RCmoto, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I don't think we will see the electric version for a while which is just too bad. Looks really interesting.
  3. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully sales of these take off in Asia etc., so US gets em, and the other MFR's follow...
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I dig ‘em both. Kudos to Honda. Love the option to remove the rechargeable batteries on the electric. Offering a hybrid too is a smart move.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    In the words of the philosopher Arte Johnson: very interesting!
  6. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny....when I bought by 2011 PCX I read an early review that Honda was considering a Hybrid and Electric versions of the PCX as well way back then. It took 7 years but that article was correct!

Its going to be an interesting 12 years. With many major cities banning internal combustion engined vehicles by 2030 you are going to see more options that are electric. I figure in another 5 or 6 years half the bikes in a motorcycle dealership will be electric. In fact at this point I don't think I will consider anything brand new that is still powered by an ICE. I keep my bikes a long time and 12 years is really not that long for me. I will still consider ICE in anything used for the time being!

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of the tried and true ICE. However I think the reality is electric is the future and it seems the government will try and force it down our throats. Of coarse its entirely possible that the tech will not move a long as far as we would like and 2030 might become 2040 or even later.
  7. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    "and it seems the government will try and force it down our throats" That is one of the main reasons NOT to buy or ride electric. Hundreds of thousands of our troops have fought and died for our freedom. Do you really think we should just give it away? My county started emissions testing, including motorcycles, when I was 17, totally ruining the next 30 years. Finally I started fighting back, by driving vintage pre emissions cars, by having older emissions cars insured as collector cars, bypassing emissions, and by having later model cars registered to an address outside the county, where there is no emissions test. I now have one car actually registered out of state. Totally legal, because the person at the address to where it is registered has their name on the title along with mine. We need to start standing up for our rights, before we lose all of them.
    vertex likes this.
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I consider them if they weren't to small for me to ride. Hero ( used to me hero honda) in India has a hybrid diesel scooter on the market for 3 years I think. Reason it's diesel is over there the goverment make diesel far cheaper then gas. It's going to happen that everyone whom wants a hybrid or eletrical scooter will get one . It's just a matter of time till the pricing makes them worth getting. Around 5 grand i can see them selling. Just as a side note. These are based on PCX 125 and not the 150 from my reading
  9. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An additional type of scooter for selection is not freedom?
    What with Tesla car, light, toaster, television, computer etc.?
    You could ban them all and provide a governmental standard article! (with 10 years waiting time for political well-being and 100 years for protestors).
    Or did you say, the troops fought and died during robbing oil fields? ;)
    vainamoinen likes this.
  10. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It is freedom ONLY as we are free to choose ICE powered bikes and cars as well. Cars have already been made unmodifiable, even replacing an air intake voids the warranty on the entire car. The EPA is behind that. Technically the exhaust system on my Harley is illegal, and the entire powertrain in my S10 pickup is illegal. Swapping the EFI for a carb on my Royal Enfield was also illegal. You call that freedom?
  11. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you made it worse (pollution, danger), it's no wonder. Do you have the right to threaten or harm other people? Their freedom is: not to be harmed.
    Not even a VW car or airplane or nuclear power plant should be made worse after approval, although this is reallly big business and much money and employees involved.
    But if it's not worse, why don't you renew the approval? We do this many times with FDA, even though our (health care) business is mainly outside America.
    vainamoinen likes this.
  12. forkintheroad

forkintheroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill buy when we get hydrogen fuel cells :)
  13. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. TwistGoRider

TwistGoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    41km distance on a single charge? That is just 25 miles! Way too expensive for a grocery runs only vehicle. How about the hybrid? That might make some sense hopefully.
  15. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I now use a carbureted 2016 Cali Classic 125 for running around, including going to the grocery store, now that it is cool enough to ride here, as long as I can fit whatever I buy on it and in the top box. But, being in the '60s temperature wise, I let it warm up for several minutes before taking off when it has sat for several hours. A trip to the local Wallymart probably takes less time than it does to warm up the scooter.
  16. Steve_h1963

Steve_h1963 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    25 mile on a charge will be fine for most commuting trips, it about what PHEVs do anyway.
    For now of course the cost will remain the issue.
  17. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    A hybrid PCX..for when 100mpg @ ~60mph just doesn't cut it?
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    You can't run gas engines in the city.
  19. TwistGoRider

TwistGoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are better deals out there that do twice the range for half the money
  20. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.

Are you kidding anyone? Except yourself?

Oil is not freedom.

I clicked on this oldish thread because of the possible electric PCX. I was wondering if I had been premature by putting a deposit on an internal combustion Honda super Cub 125, wondering if they'd go electric on it. Maybe if the electric PCX comes to the US I'll drop that deposit and get one. Then I can pretend to set the points, change the oil, clean an air filter, clean the carb jets and pretend to wave good bye to the imaginary troops as they pass by shipping off to not fight another oil war for freedom.

Again: Wow. (I know, kinda CSMish, but then the quote I included is right up there ,too)